Cheap dinner ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-17-2003, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! We are going through a really really really tight time here, starting our own business. I'm looking for meals that serve 6-7 adults (or can be doubled), vegetarian or otherwise, and are cheap cheap cheap. I'm looking for hearty meals too because everybody is working very hard and they come home Hungry!There's only so many ways to serve pinto beans if you know what I mean. Any favorite recipes for stretching those end of the month dollars? Thanks for your help,
Violet
#2 of 17 Old 01-17-2003, 05:40 PM

I happened to have this recipe on hand since I posted it earlier. For an easy and inexpensive yet heartl meal use this to top baked potatos. You can add grated cheese or sourcream.

Red Bean Dip

1 med. onion, chopped
1 small bell pepper, seeded and chopped (red, green, orange, doesn't matter)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 15oz cans of red beans (you can substitute black)
1 tsp (or to taste if you like it spicy) canned chipotle chilies, seeded and chopped.

Saute onions and pepper in a non stick skillet or sauce pan with a small amount of olive oil until onions are soft. Add cumin and cilantro and saute about another minute. Add beans (do not drain the beans first) and the chipotle peppers. Simmer over med. heat until it thickens slightly, about 3-5 minutes.

Transfer 1 cup of the mixture to a food proccessor or blender and blen until smooth. Return the blended beans to the pan, stir and add salt/pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl, cover tightly and refridgerate for at least 2 hours.

Makes about 4 cups.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 17 Old 01-17-2003, 06:30 PM

1) Polenta! We get ours at Trader Joes premade in a roll for about $1.59, but you can make your own from corn meal (just type in "polenta recipe" in a search engine). One roll feeds two adults, one preschooler, with enough for one lunch the next day, so I'd say you'd need 2-3 rolls.

I stir fry whatever veges I have on hand (mushrooms, onions, canned tomatoes) then cut the polenta into one inch cubes, sautee it too for a few minutes, throw in a 1/2 c. spaghetti sauce, and sometimes some shredded cheese. Start to finish takes me about 15 minutes.

2) Potato leek soup is another one--substitute cheap onions for leeks:

6-8 c. vege broth or water
2 c. leeks (or onions)
6-7 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 c. carrots (though you can add any other mild veg you might have--I don't add strong things like broccoli, peas, or tomatoes, but I might add summer squash or some mushrooms)

put these in a stock pot, bring to boil, then take to simmer for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir fry 1 c. onions, 1 tbsp chopped garlic (or use 1 tsp garlic powder if needed), and 2-3 tbsp oil (canola, olive, whatever--canola brings a nice flavor to it). Cook for 5 minutes or so, then set aside.

Take half the stickpot mixture and blend it, adding:

1 c. milk (we use powdered milk, but you could use plain soy milk)to the blender. Blend it thoroughly, then add back into the stockpot. Put in:

2 c. celery
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
the stir fry onion/garlic mixture

stir the stockpot, and let simmer for another 15 minutes.

We find this to be a very hearty soup, and one that we really enjoy. It works well for leftovers and lasts about 5-6 days in the fridge.

3) Puffy Pancake:

Preheat oven to 425

Melt 5 tbsp in a large baking dish. Add 5 apples, peeled and sliced very thin. In a blender combine:

4 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. milk

Pour it over the apples. Bake for 25 minutes or until it's golden brown. It puffs like crazy! Take out and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Let it cool then enjoy. You might need to make two of these to feed 6-7 adults. Syrup is good on it, also jelly.

4. Never underestimate a good old pancake and scrambled egg dinner. Throw a mashed banana or two into the pancake batter to fill it out.

Hope this helps!

Mel
#4 of 17 Old 01-18-2003, 12:46 AM

Hello Violet,

I have 10-15 vegetarian dinners which are cheap, cheap to make. PM me and I will send them to you.

Have you used TVP before? You can buy it in bulk at the larger natural food stores or you can buy it online.

I use it in soups and red sauces more than anything else.

Fried rice in very cheap and filling. Pasta with red suace is too
I make a simple potato soup that goes along way. Also chili is simple and cheap if you do not use ground beef.

When we have been tight, very tight, on money I developed about ten meals. These can be rotated easily. I would have each one about three times per month.

Good luck and I will get the recipes ready,
Granolamom
#5 of 17 Old 01-20-2003, 09:48 PM

We are on a tight budget here and I have been buying dried beans and cooking them from scratch then freezing the leftovers. We buy rice and grains in bulk from the health store. We mainly cook veggie and sometime fish but it is $$.
Here are some ideas. Let me know if any of them interest you and I can post the recipes.
Curried Lentils served over rice
Red lentil Soup
Black bean soup
Black Bean burritos
Veggie Chili with homemade corn muffins
Sweet Potatoe Soup
Pasta w/ homemade tomatoe sauce
homemade banana bread
baked beans
Spanish rice
Pancakes or eggs for dinner
Quiches
Rice and Beans
#6 of 17 Old 01-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Banned

try making this rich north african chick-pea stew.

Sautee onions and garlic with optional fresh ginger (or subst ground) in oil, then add cumin, cinnamon and paprika inequal amounts, to taste, alo some cayenne. Sautee for 1 min. Add enough liquid (use ben cooking liquid or water) to make a stew, you can always add more later, cubed sweet potatoes or yams and dried apricots. cover and simmer until yams are barley tender (15 or so). Add cooked chick-peas and raisins, simmer 5 min. apricots can be left out if you want itcheapest posible.
#7 of 17 Old 01-21-2003, 11:06 PM

Granolamom will you post those 10 ideas/recipes or do you want us all to pm you ? I just want to make it easy on you.

Depending on the price of eggplant you can make a "shake and bake" style eggplant parmesean served with pasta and red sauce and a little cheese it is very hearty. Obviously cheaper in the summer but still... you can slice the eggplants on the thin side too.

Just slice the eggplant, dip in milk or soymilk or whatever (even water ?) dip in breadcrumbs and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, till tender. Take them out, put a little sauce and cheese on each one, cook a few more minutes. Improvise as necessary. Also makes a great eggplant parmesean sandwich.

Scalloped potatoes are just potatoes sliced up in warm milk with layers of butter, some flour, salt and pepper. We eat it with some tempeh fried in tamari (xtra yummy when marinated) and some steamed veggies, whatever is on sale. Lots of broccoli lately.

That's a couple Ideas... Soups and stews with a loaf of bread are pretty hearty... this thread is making me hungry
#8 of 17 Old 01-22-2003, 03:08 AM

Granolamom! please, post those recipes...
#9 of 17 Old 01-22-2003, 11:40 AM

Hey guys, there is something wrong with my PM box. I have tried over and over to receive messages but it contunues to say my PM box is full!! But it is not!!!!????????

Here is my own email address...Locust5309@aol.aom

Anyone can email me their email addresses and I will send them right out!!!!

Sorry for all the problems,

Granolamom
#10 of 17 Old 01-22-2003, 12:26 PM

I tried both PM-ing and emailing you.. Didn't work

the email came back to me.

If you have those recipies, it might be easier for you to post them.. looks like they are quite a few takers

thanks, Lee
#11 of 17 Old 01-22-2003, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Carminex, Could you post your corn muffin recipe? I am supposed to bring some over to a friend's on Sun. (26th). Are they sweet or savory?

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#12 of 17 Old 01-22-2003, 01:15 PM

Lets see if they will post here. There are alot of them!!!
I have about 15 more recipes too. Lets see if these post first.....

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!

· Hey moms, I have tried for years to cook healthy affordable meals for my family. We have always had only one income. These are recipes I have used on and off thru the years. I try to always serve a fresh salad or carrot sticks are something with dinner..Also a good ,heavy loaf of bread.Good luck!!!! Granolamom ( I have done a great deal of cutting and pasting and scanning, hope this reads ok)

Woolton Pie Ingredients:
1lb diced potatoes
1lb cauliflower ( can use frozen)
1lb diced carrots
3 spring onions
1 teaspoon vegetable extract
1 tablespoon oatmeal
A little chopped parsley
Method: Cook everything together with just enough water to cover, stirring often to prevent it sticking to the pan. Let the mixture cool. Spoon into a pie dish, sprinkle with chopped parsley. Cover with a crust of left over mashed potatoes. Bake in a moderate oven until golden brown. Serve hot with vegetarian gravy. My husband Grandma Lu taught me this . She was a cook in the British Army in WWII, this is very tasty. Everyone love it

Kidney beans and pasta ·
a large bunch of fresh collard greens or spinach·
2 fresh tomatoes or one can diced·
Rotini Pasta·
2 cups dark red Kidney beans·(cooked)
sunflower seeds (salted or unsalted) ·
extra virgin olive oil
This is a very easy recipe that I've made myself a hundred times over. It's actually become a staple in our life. Bring pasta to boil, drain (as much as you'd like) Boil collard greens/spinach on medium heat for about 5 minutes, drain.Add kidnet beans. Mix it all together. Chop up one or two tomatoes, depending on what you need and add it to the mix( or canned). Add sunflower seeds and extra virgin olive oil on top for flavor.

Corn Chili

1 &1/2 cups cooked or 1 -16 ounce can of black-eyed peas
1&1/2 cups cooked or 1-16 ounce can of navy beans
1 cup onion-chopped
small can tomato paste
3 cup water
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon prepares mustard
1 cup frozen, fresh or 1 can corn1 can or 1 cup diced tomatoes

Combine above ingredient in crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on the stove on medium/low for 2-3
Stir on stove to keep from sticking

Serves 6-8

Serve with corn bread

__________________________________________________ __________-

Corn Chowder

1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
3large potatoes shredded( like you do for hash browns)
1 can corn
1 can cream corn
1 can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
2 ½ cups milk- soy or rice milk will work too

Combine all ingredients above in crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on top of stove med/low for 2-3 hours, stir if cooking on stove
Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley flakes. My kids like to put soy cheese on top once in their bowls. My husband put sour cream on top.

Serve with a firm whole grain bread.

Potato and Mushroom Chowder

½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup butter or olive oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups water
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms or two can canned ( I buy what ever is cheapest at the time. Two cups fresh is one of those small baskets)
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups diced, peeled potatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups milk- I never have but you could try to use soy or rice milk

In skillet, sauté onion and celery in the butter/olive oil until translucent. Remove from heat. Add flour, salt pepper ; stir. Place in pot or crock pot. Add water. Then add potatoes, mushrooms and carrots. Cover an dcook on low 6-8 hours in crock pot or on low for 3-4 hours on stop of stove.

Add milk and cook 30 more minutes. Serve

Rice and Veggies
·1 can tomato juice(big can)
·4 cups water
·1 cup uncooked brown rice
·1 tbsp veggie boullion
·2 bay leaves
·4 cups frozen/or leftover veggies
·big pinch of garlic powder
·non dairy sour cream
: Mix all ingredients, except non dairy sour cream, into a large enough pot. Bring to boil. Simmer for 50 minutes, to cook the rice. Stirring occasionaly. Serve with big spoonfull of non dairy sour cream. (I sprinkle hot pepper flakes on as well.) CHOW!
Serves: 8

Goulash·3 cups uncooked no egg macaroni ·
3 cans seasond diced tomatoes ·
3 cans kidney beans ·
2 med. onion ·
salt, pepper, & garlic powder to taste

Boil macaroni according to package directions, drain and rinse well. In large skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onions until clear. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, seasonings to taste. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Add macaroni. Simmer another 15-20 minutes. Serves: 6-8

Fried Rice ·

2 1/2 cups of cooked medium grain white rice or brown rice - Completely Cooled
·2 eggs – beaten or egg substitute ·
2 cups frozen mixed veggie·
3 fresh green onion, diced small·
soy sauce
1. Cook rice according to package.
2. In a large skillet, heat a couple of teaspoons of oil to keep the egg from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Scramble.
3. Using the same pan, add a little more oil and heat. Add the frozen Veggies and cook till tender
4. On low heat, add several scoops of cooled rice and mix. Keep adding a scoop of rice and mix.
5. Add the diced green onions.
6. While mixing, slowly add a little soy sauce at a time. Add soy sauce until the color of the fried rice is a slight golden brown color.
7. Fry the rice mixture, add salt and pepper to taste.

Cheap Recipe for Pizza dough, Breadsticks or Focaccia

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
1 package yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt,
5 1/2 cups of flour
Mix the water, yeast and sugar together. Let sit for 10 minutes. Mix olive oil, egg and salt in mixing bowl. Add the water-yeast-sugar mixture to the olive oil mixture, then add the flour. Knead or process until dough is mixed. (you may need to add a little more water). The dough should seem slightly sticky. Knead by hand for about 5 minutes on a floured surface. Let rise (covered) for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours in a greased bowl. Divide into three portions. You may then use the dough or freeze it. It's good for about 3 months in the freezer. I usually make two batches (6 portions) at once.
To use for pizza: Precook the crust for 4 minutes at 425 degrees. Add sauce and toppings and cook at 425 degrees for 13 minutes.

For breadsticks: Form into sticks. Sprinkle course salt on top and bake for approx. 13 minutes at 415 degrees.

For focaccia: Shape into square pan and add toppings (onions, garlic or spices) and drizzle the top with olive oil. Let rise for about 1/2 hour. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 415 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes. (I cover the pan with foil and bake the focaccia on the barbecue.)

This is a cheap and easy recipe that is freezable. The dough can be used for either three medium pizzas 18 breadsticks or 3 focaccia breads. I just divide the dough into three parts and freeze. Then I can decide what I want to make later and pull one or two portions out of the freezer about 2 1/2 hours (or more) in advance of the meal. –

Vegetable Roll with Potato Pastry
Ingredients for pastry:
4oz mashed and sieved potato
1/2 teaspoon of salt
8oz plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of baking powder
Method:
Sieve dry ingredients together.
Rub oil into flour and gently mix in
potato.
Add just enough water to make a fairly dry
dough.
Knead well.
Ingredients for filling:
11/2 cups of any mixed boiled vegetables, diced
1 cup white sauce
Salt and pepper
A little chopped parsley
Method:
Take 1/2lb of potato pastry and roll out
on a floured board.
Moisten the vegetable mixture with a little of
the gravy.
Spread vegetables on to pastry leaving 1 inch all
the way round.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Roll up and seal well at the edges so that gravy
cannot seep out.
Place on a well greased baking tin with the seal
underneath.
Brush with milk or egg whites
Bake in a moderately hot oven for 35-45 minutes.

Black Bean Burgers
3 pounds cooked black beans -- rinsed and drained
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 egg substitute or 2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons cilantro
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 hamburger buns; mixed grain
***OPTIONS***
Salsa
guacomole
Put beans, onion, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, egg, bread crumbs and cilantro in food processor. Process, adding more bread crumbs as needed to make a mixture dry enough to form into patties. Shape into 8 patties. Patties may be made a day ahead and refrigerated to allow them to set well. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 4 patties and fry 2 minutes per side, turning once. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining 4 patties and cook. Place each patty in a hamburger roll and serve with salsa and guacamole, if desired.

This is Kait’s favorite!!!

Makes 8 burgers,

Campfire Pasta
·2 tablespoons olive oil
·2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
·2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
·1 teaspoon dried oregano
·1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
·1/2 teaspoon salt
·2 zucchini or yellow squash, quartered lengthwise
·2 medium red onion, quartered
·1 red bell pepper, cored
·8-10 mushrooms
·16 ounces linguine or spaghetti
Preheat the grill until the coals are gray to white.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, parsley, oregano, cayenne, and salt. Set aside.
When the fire is ready, arrange the vegetables on the grill. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board, let cool slightly, and coarsely chop. Toss the vegetables with the vinaigrette mixture.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Place the pasta in the boiling water, stir, and return to a boil. Cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain in a colander.
Add the pasta to the grilled vegetable mixture and toss together. Serve with warm garlic bread.
Makes 4 servings

Spinach and Bean tortilla Filling
2 19-oz cans black beans, drained (or 2-3 cups cooked black beans)
2 10-oz packages chopped spinach, thawed & drained
32 oz picante sauce
2 cups frozen corn
2 teaspoon ground cumin
Combine beans, spinach, and picante sauce in a non-stick pot over medium heat. Mix well, mashing about half the beans with a fork. Add corn and cumin. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until hot and bubbly. Sabri, who HATES spinach will eat it this way!!

Macaroni and Black beans
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small sweet green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
Hot pepper sauce to taste
8 oz elbow macaroni, cooked
1/2 cup shredded cheese
In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the peppers, onions, garlic, oregano and cumin. Sauté until the vegetables are tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, beans and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
Stir the sauce into the hot macaroni. Top each serving with Cheddar cheese

The very Cheapest Meal!!!!
I added up once and with out the sour cream and salsa, it cost about $1.10 for four people......
Kaci has been making this alone since she was 7-8 . She loves it…..
I learned this from a friend with Eight kids!!! Great AP mama!!!
One small box corn bread mix ( I use Jiffy, you can use any type though)
Two eggs
I can creamed corn
I can corn
Mix all together , do NOT drain corn, place in a greased cake pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. We sometimes top with sour cream and salsa. I put fresh Cilantro in the mix sometimes too.
This amount will serve about 4. I double the recipe . When ,my son comes home and brings ALL his friends, I will triple this!!!

We also cold frame lettuce year round, It is very simple to do.Mother Earth News has had plans for a cold frame in the past. Ours is Made with old windows.We just lost our lettuce for the first time. I did not bring it in or cover real well and we had snow and 7 degree weather!!!!
We never pick the entire heads of lettuce. Just a few leaves here and there, They (head) will grow for a long time this way. We also sprout seeds. With carrots, which are cheep, you can have a preety good salad.

Good Luck
#13 of 17 Old 01-22-2003, 09:25 PM

These are pretty inexpensive & flexible. Sorry I don't have measurements for you--I rarely use them when I cook at home. Just eyeball it & for both of these, just use what you like/what you have available:

Sarma/Cabbage Rolls

(Makes ahead well)
Parboil green cabbage leaves to they're soft.
While those are boiling cook some rice

You can use any of the below sauteed together next:
onion
garlic
celery
bell peppers
some people use ground pork/other meat until cooked through
salt/pepper

mix the sauteed items with the rice.
place desired amount of filling in a cabbage leaf--fold over one end 1/3 way across, tuck in sides, then fold over other end to make a roll.

sauce:
very simple tomato sauce--sautee some garlic &/or onion, add whatever crushed/diced tomatoes or tomato sauce you have available, salt & pepper.

pour sauce over cabbage rolls in a baking dish & cook in a 325 deg over for 1/2 hour.

Cabbage Apple Slaw
served with blackeye peas

Slaw:
slice a head of cabbage into 1/4 inch slices & separate layers
julienne/chop about 3 apples of choice either peeled or not
finely chop one onion & a few stalks celery
Mix all together in a large mixing bowl
(my mother adds shredded carrots & sometimes raisins to hers or she just makes it with carrots & raisins, no apples/cabbage)

Dressing:
whick together mayo & vinegar to make a thin dressing
stir in salt, pepper, any other desired herbs (sometimes I've used tarragon or poppy seeds) and pour over slaw to coat

serve with either canned or homemade dry blackeye peas

I also serve blackeye peas & jalapeno cornbread. For some reason dh will eat them, but not other beans.

You might check at your library to see if they have one of the cookbooks of depression era recipes. Lots of those are neat & inexpensive.
#14 of 17 Old 01-24-2003, 04:24 PM

I'll be cooking this weekend!!!!

thanks for this great thread!!
#15 of 17 Old 01-24-2003, 05:05 PM

Granolamom, have you cleaned out all your PM folders. Check your sent items folder, go back as many days as it will allow you, and do the same with message tracking. Sometimes the little buggers hide.
#16 of 17 Old 01-24-2003, 06:35 PM

Beth,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

It worked. Sure enough, there were 35 messages hidden!!

Now my PM box is empty!!
Granolamom
#17 of 17 Old 01-24-2003, 07:55 PM

wow thank you granolamom!! i printed these out and will definetely try them!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page