Raw Mamas... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 189 Old 01-19-2006, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there raising raw kids? I was a raw foodist for over a year but stopped when I became too poor and busy to keep it up. I think I could manage now, but what I'm really interested in is keeping ds raw for as long as possible after I start him on solids. It seems a shame to plug up his healthy intestinal tract with cooked foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 189 Old 01-19-2006, 05:54 AM

Any tips on how to get over the psychological aspects of heavy food? Or Good raw choices to satisfy those needs?[/QUOTE]

Well, I am raw just eight weeks now, and I had bad cravings just twice so far, once for the chicken salad I was making for my husband for dinner - that was very bad, but I solved it with avocados wrapped in cabbage leaves and seasoned with Bragg's Aminos instead of salt. One did not help, after the second I was satisfied completely. The other time I wanted soup, which is the hardest thing for me to give up - that time I simply thought about what happens if i go back to cooked - to I want for the short several minutes of instant pleasure to get back heavy feeling after meals, low energy, too much weight, not the best skin, bloating, etc. That worked.
If you crave sweets, I can eat sesame seeds or make sesame seed milk. You know, that seeds and nuts need to be soaked, because of enzyme inhibitors in them. After that you can either sprout them or just simply blend up with some filtered water in the blender and you have milk(or you can use raw tahini, if you can get one).
And again - make yourself a nice green smoothie - that always keeps cravings at bay.
#33 of 189 Old 01-19-2006, 07:07 PM

Doitmyselfmama,

It would be so great if you could start your baby on raw foods! I regret so much not discovering raw earlier! I started my ds on the conventional advice of avoiding raw stuff. Such a pity! The foods that kids get early in life influence a lot the later preferences.
My advice would be to start giving your baby any sweet fruits or veggies that he is atracted to, in their raw and very ripe form (and of course preferably organic). I would stay away from any grains and, if you think you must give something cooked, this can be veggie purees (such as carrot steamed and mashed - my ds's first food. He liked it a lot, but I still regret it). Later you could introduce almond milk.
Children learn by imitating. Your kid will want to eat what you eat, so that's the best way to influence him - a motivation for you to stick to good things. I remember reading a piece of advice for adults in search of a good diet: "would you feed it to a baby?".
What is also of vital importance is never to force or coax a baby to eat what he doesn't want to - this is valid on any diet. I am so sad when I think there are lots of young kids that are labeled "poor eaters" because they don't want to touch any food (which is in fact any cooked food). They would eat fruits with pleasure, but parents don't see them as food and even think they can spoil their kid's appetite. So they are forced to accept a diet that they instinctively know is bad.

Good luck with your raw journey!
#34 of 189 Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieliausmama
HOW IT IS GOING RAW MAMAS?
Did you try any raw cake recipe? I would like to make one for upcoming birthday.
I really enjoy making RAW Carrot cake and Raw Apple pie....both got rave reviews from all who were lucky enough to get a piece.

I have a few good cookbooks...RAW (collected recipes from the Raw foods community) and Juliano's book (because I have a crush on him)...unfortunately most of his recipes require dozens of ingredients.
#35 of 189 Old 01-20-2006, 04:25 AM

Ohhhhh! Raw Apple Pie! Will you share your recipe please?
#36 of 189 Old 01-20-2006, 10:38 AM

Could those with raw toddlers/pre-schoolers (or who have been there) share some ideas? I find I have a hard time getting enough variety in my kids. I'd like to offer them more options.
#37 of 189 Old 01-21-2006, 12:34 AM

I have a 2.5 year old and he eats a lot lately - he can't wait untill I finish making a salad or peeling an orange. He basically eats what I eat, and sometimes, unfortunately, what my husband eats. But my husband is actually getting better and one day we drove to the store to get salad ingredients, because he was craving it!
Well, right now my son loves sprouts,scallions(in the salad), cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, kiwis, green smoothies, my made dehydrated crakers(soaked flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, bell pepper, onion), apples, oranges, banana. I don't know if I am not forgeting anything? Oh, he loves to graze on celery sticks.
#38 of 189 Old 01-21-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazoniaBelly
I really enjoy making RAW Carrot cake and Raw Apple pie....both got rave reviews from all who were lucky enough to get a piece.

I have a few good cookbooks...RAW (collected recipes from the Raw foods community) and Juliano's book (because I have a crush on him)...unfortunately most of his recipes require dozens of ingredients.
Give us your pie recipes, please. I found Juliano's book to be too complicated just like you- I read it from the library. Is that other Raw book has an author or can you give me the exact title?
#39 of 189 Old 01-21-2006, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

You mamas are so awesome! It gives me hope that I can do this for longer then a month or so. I have several recipe books, and yeah, Julianos has lots of ingredients, although I have tried a few of his things. I made the raw falafel's once and I must have done something wrong, they were awful!

One of my favorite things is raw pie. It's pretty simple, make the crust with I think about 2 cups of your favorite nuts, I usually use almonds and pecans. Blend them in a food processor until it's powder then slowly add dates until you get the right constancy, add some cinnamon. Then I form a crust in a pie pan. Then I cut up yummy fruit like mangos and berries and put it in the crust. It's simple and soooo good. There's also a whipped topping I've made, but I'll have to find the recipe.
I just made these butternut squash cookies~

http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes.htm

they taste ok, but my dh loves them!

I went to my midwife (she a midwife through a hospital) my blood pressure was a little high, she told me I had to loose weight and she wants to see me in 6 mo. and check my bp again & stuff. I'm like 100lb overweight, it sucks to think I need to loose 100 freaking pounds! I'm hoping this will motivate me even more to eat raw! We are starting 100% on Feb 1st, I can't wait! I've been eating a lot less and I'm so ready to loose weight!! I am breastfeeding my 10 week old and would like to feed him raw once he starts eating. I've been veggie for about 12y, and when we have done raw in the past I don't usually detox very hard, so hopefully baby won't have to endure to many toxins. I've got to go nurse baby and go to sleep, goodnight

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#40 of 189 Old 01-21-2006, 04:02 AM

My kids aren't 100% raw, they often have something cooked for dinner. C likes bread, but L could easily be raw (she's 3). Give her a choice, and every time she'll choose fruit or veg. Now and then she likes something bready, too, though. Both of them prefer their veggies raw, rather than cooked. I believe kids are really in tune with their bodies, and so I won't restrict them if they honestly want some type of food. My kids generally make healthy choices, though.

Let's see, what tips can I think of? In the morning, the kids have fruit. Or some smoothie, if I make one. I like to have a bunch of different types of cut fruits and veg hanging around in the fridge, and that's what L will snack on with me during the day. Sometimes we'll do up some almond butter, raisin, coconut and cocoa balls to keep in the fridge for sweet cravings. I always have apples, oranges, bananas, and grapes out on the counter, free for snacking. We always have a few things sprouting. If we go out anywhere, I bring trail mix (my own mix - sometimes walnuts and figs, sometimes dried cherries and hazelnuts, sometimes raisins and almonds, you get the picture) and fruit. C takes cut veg with hummus, fruit, and some nuts to school. Usually I give him something bready, too, naan with chutney, tortilla chips with salsa or guac, raw almond butter sandwiches, etc. At dinner, I always make a huge salad, and everyone usually has that first. I make my own dressings using Udo's oil. That way they get mostly filled up on the good stuff, and then they will have steamed veg, some kind of whole grain, and usually something proteiny (beans, lentils, etc). I give them a multivitamin most days (when I remember).

My baby (almost 1 year old) eats banana, avocado, grated cucumber, finely grated carrot and sweet peppers, tahini, grated or pureed apple and pear, berries, mango, and he has also had apricot and nectarine. That's all I can think of right now. He's also still breastfeeding.

Our local library has that Juliano book, as well as Nomi Shannon's book, and one by the Boutenko kids. I'm not huge on faking cooked food - I don't have a dehydrator, although maybe in the future I may feel that I need one. I find that if I try to imitate SAD foods, I expect the imitation to taste like the SAD version, and it generally doesn't. I love fresh foods and their combinations, not because they resemble something else, but because they are good in their own right. Juliano is trying to sell it, from what I can see, to make it appealing to the masses, and personally i don't need that. I suppose it's a good way to get the raw message out there, though. Nomi Shannon's book is great for staples, and there is good information in it about food combining and a sample menu. The Boutenko book looks the most practical, although I've only just glanced through it. Is that RAW compilation book any good? The one with recipes from all kind of people? Any other good books? I've seen the Carol Alt one at Chapters, but I don't like that she advocates eating raw animal products.
#41 of 189 Old 01-21-2006, 04:27 AM

Forgot to mention that my kids also like things like marinated mushrooms and pate. The pate is nice inside celery sticks, or stuffed into hollowed out tomatoes or red pepper.
Or dates, slit lengthwise and filled with nut butter.
Pudding with bananas, mango, strawberry.
Banana ice cream (just frozen bananas that have been mushed in the food processor).
Anything rolled in a lettuce leaf.
I have lots of fun with prep, too, I make sure there are lots of colours, or maybe a smiley face made from sliced or chopped veg. My kids love to be involved in making the food, too.
#42 of 189 Old 01-21-2006, 11:34 AM

Great ideas, mamas. My kids are mostly raw (their choice) but dd gets bored really fast. New ideas are always a good thing.
We own a small independant gym, and dh trains this guy from NYC. They were talking diets and the guy mentioned he was 100% raw and had been for years. Dh was interested because that's the direction we're heading but dh is a very active athlete and didn't know if it would sustain him. the guy was very helpdful, but did tell some things took awhile to get used to. Dh asked for examples and the guy told him that the most difficult was CHICKEN :Puke :Puke I'm like, honey, please don't ever mention that again. My pregnant mind can't take it.
#43 of 189 Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM

Yuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm! I LOVE Raw!!!!My dad bought me a raw cookbook in the spring and then I went to this Raw restaraunt in NYC this summer and fell completely in love!
We have tons of raw coobooks, but not a lot of the equipment (the vita mix or any blender made before 1980, the dehydrator).
Our(Dp and mine) plane is when DS stops EBF or in the summer (produce sucks right now around here), we will do the raw thang. We love it and it make you feel soooooo awesome!!
#44 of 189 Old 01-21-2006, 02:06 PM

Oh gack. Chicken. :shudder:

Storm Talifero has an ebook about building muscle mass, have you seen it?
http://www.thegardendiet.com/aboutmuscle.html
#45 of 189 Old 01-25-2006, 04:17 AM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Ok-I want (no NEED) to get started. I just don't know exactly how to organize a beginning. Does that sound dumb? I'm afraid of the horrible cravings I will get...and DP doesn't want to eat raw. Will you raw mamas help motivate me?

#46 of 189 Old 01-25-2006, 04:22 AM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
mamafrog-
was reading your blog and wondered- how does one prepare/eat coconut. I love coconut flavor but have never enjoyed it fresh...it makes my mouth water just thinking about it....

#47 of 189 Old 01-25-2006, 04:54 AM

i'm raw! just subbing now, will post more later
#48 of 189 Old 01-25-2006, 12:11 PM

What a cool thread! I hope it's okay if I join. I am about 98% vegan (still have the ocassional processed food with non vegan ingredients and am not extremely careful when out somewhere) and have been veg for 13 years. My current goal is 50% raw - my ultimate goal (right now anyway) is 80% raw. I have to transition my family though. I have 3 kiddos and am pregnant and am SO NOT willing to make to meals at a time! I just bought this book which looks fantastic. It's called "Raw in Ten Minutes" by Bryan Au. It looks like he either owns or is planning to open a raw food restaurant in San Francisco called "Pa-Raw-Dise." (kind of corny-but kind of cute!) I'm hoping to visit when we go in June! Anyway, I completely understand the comment about being in a cold place and wanting heavy cooked foods. I'm in Denver and I'm freezing! (Actually the weather's good here now, but I'm always cold in the first trimester and the weather's been cold then warm then cold then....). I am definitely going to try that strawberry pie when we get some good organic strawberries around here. The ones we have now look awful!
#49 of 189 Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 AM

-Being raw is so simple, just eat an apple or a carrot. But because we are transitioning from cooked style food, it is easier for us to start with complicated raw food creations, so it is up to you how complicated you want it to be. I still want complicated things after 2 months all raw. But I hope after couple years just be happy with a fruit or some greens from the garden or even better - some wild greens...
For now I will learn to grow some edible plants in my balcony, because we live in a condo. I am eating my aloe vera in the smoothies and some mint already. That's live food. Other live food is sprouts from the market. My two year old now a lot into them, so we use like a box a day.
#50 of 189 Old 01-28-2006, 06:21 PM

danieliausmama, sprouting is sooooo easy! All you need is a quart jar and a lid (you can buy a special lid for sprouting really cheaply). Then you can buy seeds to sprout. Specialty seeds can be expensive, but if you have access to bulk seeds/legumes/etc, its really cheap. For example, sprouted lentils are fast and easy and great in salads!
#51 of 189 Old 01-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Mab

Hi all, i'm late this post. First of all: Planta, thanks a lot for your fantastic input. You've inspired me!!!

I want to bring something up: are your children raw as well, or if you like me are trying to go the raw way, do you make your children go that way with you? My son and I are vegan so we are used to eat salads and lots of fruits. he, on the other hand, loves bread and other cooked stuff. he never asks me for something that is not in the house, he just chooses from the various options available. However, I don't know if this is just because he's only 3. Anyone have experiences to share?
#52 of 189 Old 01-30-2006, 06:59 AM
Mab

also, a website on raw kids i ran into today, from a raw newsletter:

http://www.radiantchildren.com/
#53 of 189 Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 PM

Hi Mab,

I'm glad you found something useful in what I wrote.
About my ds (3): I am torn concerning his diet. On one hand I don't want him to experience any discomfort that is brought about by a strict diet, and on the other I feel perfectly silly giving him food that I consider bad for myself (I am 100%). So what I do is try very hard to make raw food attractive enough so that he wants it, but I don't refuse him some cooked "treats" when I feel he really craves them. I comfort myself with the thought that his diet is waaay better than the average and he is very healthy and huge. Also, I hope very much that we'll have our land this year and we'll grow lots of yummy stuff. He is crazy for what we can pick from our garden (unfortunately not much at the moment, only some baby carrots, peas and cherry tomatoes), so I expect him to eat even more raw when he has lots of attractive options.

To me, cooked grains are a real enemy to kids. Adults can make a conscious effort to limit the intake, but for kids it's hard. I heard of so many kids that want to eat practically only grains (of course in a million forms, but that doesn't change the ingredients). This leads, in my opinion, to a lot of vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can't be simply solved with supplements. A solution could be introducing raw crackers (based on seeds, fruits and veggies) that give the satisfaction of something dry and "filling" (actually bad for the stomach, but that's where the cooked diet led us).

The radiant website is great - it's motivating to see that raw is possible for kids!
#54 of 189 Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 AM

I do not like that either, but i do go to the forums on her website, because they are very active and most people on them are vegan raw, but as you can understand you are not alowed to critisize her views and I think that is fair, since it is her website. Although sometimes I get annoyed by moderators there trying to push her books and dvds.
#55 of 189 Old 01-31-2006, 12:51 PM

I begun eating raw before getting pg but have put it on hold because I just couldn't eat raw anymore when pg.
You are all a great source of inspiration for me, and I plan to eat raw again after my little one is born in June

For the moment, I eat organic chicken once a week, salmon once a week and tofu once a week. The other days, I have my protein by grains + cheese or grains + beans. I eat nuts every day and a lot of kombu, wakame, etc....
#56 of 189 Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planta
About my ds (3): I am torn concerning his diet. On one hand I don't want him to experience any discomfort that is brought about by a strict diet, and on the other I feel perfectly silly giving him food that I consider bad for myself (I am 100%). So what I do is try very hard to make raw food attractive enough so that he wants it
I get your point, and I agree. I read today an article by Valya, the daughter in the Raw Boutenko Family, she talks about how she was 8 when they went raw and how making it attractive was important.

http://www.rawfamily.com/articles/He...20Children.pdf

Quote:
To me, cooked grains are a real enemy to kids. Adults can make a conscious effort to limit the intake, but for kids it's hard.

A solution could be introducing raw crackers (based on seeds, fruits and veggies) that give the satisfaction of something dry and "filling" (actually bad for the stomach, but that's where the cooked diet led us).
I know. I feel that's what happens with ds. he loves his fruits and veggies, but once he has a sandwich, he just wants more and more. I'm researching for options, because I understand that raw breads and crackers can only be done with a dehydrator, right? which I don't own, so, still looking, but thanks or the suggestion.

Quote:
The radiant website is great - it's motivating to see that raw is possible for kids!
I got lots of inspiration from Kytka's kids in www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com . She's got a whole section on her 3 kids being raw.

Today I made us the famous raw carob-banana ice cream. Ds loved it! Well, I loved it too
#57 of 189 Old 02-01-2006, 05:34 AM

So exciting to hear from other mums who are keeping it raw with their little ones! It really inspires me and gives me hope for ds. He's too little for solid food just yet but I will keep checking in and share how my journey goes with him. Also, if anyone wants to talk method, I was 100% raw for a year, as aforesaid, and I also worked as a raw chef while I was pregnant. So I know quite a bit about food prep and sprouting. Good job, raw mamas, keep it up! :
#58 of 189 Old 02-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Mab

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitmyselfmama
I also worked as a raw chef while I was pregnant. So I know quite a bit about food prep and sprouting. Good job, raw mamas, keep it up! :

Ooohh!!! please, do share!!!!!!!!!!!!! we want recipes and ideas!!!
#59 of 189 Old 02-01-2006, 07:43 AM

I hate cooking and I have been reading a lot about the "raw diet" I don't like using recipes since I only feed myself, so I just eat lots of fruits, veggies, nuts & seeds etc. One thing I do love making is guacomole!!!
#60 of 189 Old 02-01-2006, 01:04 PM

Subscribing to an awesome thread. Thanks for sending me the link.

Our whole family has been vegan for most of the last 25 years. Our three kids grew up mostly vegan and continued that life style. And now we have two grandchildren who are (100% and 70% respectively) vegan.

Anyway, for the last three months I've turned to a mostly raw diet. I am up to 80%. dh eats whatever I fix and he is fine with it. Our kids are looking into it also and my older grandson is smitten with the idea. He asks lots of questions and loves to eat at grandma's house.

We have family dinners once a week with are 80% raw. So basically everyone is being lured into it.

My kids are 37,35,34, - with spouses.

Now, what we don't eat raw is whole rye bread (sent from Canada), brown rice, millet, whole wheat noodles, soups (although lots of raw things go in at the end), polenta, whole wheat pita bread, and maybe a few other things but that's about all I can think of.

Everything else we eat pretty much raw. But I do heat things up to make them 'seem' cooked. I heat no higher than 120 degrees if that high.

I found you don't have to have anything special or equipment to sprout. Any bowel and lid or plate that fits as a lid will do. Don't buy special seeds. All seeds, nuts, grains, legumes you can buy in the grocery story in the dried section, you can sprout. Lentils are excellent sprouted. So are all your beans, nuts, seeds, etc.

I put them into a bowel, cover with water and a plate, and let it set over night. In the morning I rinse and wash the bowel out real well the first time. Then I resoak some things like grains or legumes, things like seeds don't need soaking a second time.
After soaking, I drain them, rinse, and put them back into the bowel. It needs to be rinsed every morning and every night. Within two days little sprouts grow. You can eat them at any time after that.

I like my lentils after the sprouts have grown a bit longer. The longer the sprouts get the milder they taste. We set them into the sun and let the sprouts get green before eating.

Some thins like buck wheat groan we just soak and eat in a few hours. The turn mushy and don't seem to sprout. Quinoa doesn't seem to sprout either but is ready to eat after soaking for several hours.

What we mostly use is my cooked base and cover with raw things. And top off with lentil sprouts. Add a salad...Hmmmm....

We still drink (1 cup of) coffee and (a few) beer but do only sun tea.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page