Raw Mamas... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 189 Old 03-11-2006, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually just got a wholesale account for Vitamineral Greens (long story, but interesting...)someone recommended it for my kiddos and I think I'm going to start as well. You are right-it does have all teh B vitamins. The first shipment should be here on Monday so I'll let you know!

Thanks for the tip on dehydrators. I'll check that one out, but my father already ordered the other one. Alas.
#92 of 189 Old 03-11-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
The final 5% isn't really describable. It's not like, "I can't give up my pasta" or something concrete. It's more like-convenience, KWIM?
I was like that for about a year and a half. At first it seemed that I "needed" the stuff, but slowly it became obvious to me it was simply a psychological hook - I was simply afraid to jump into that scary domain of the crazy raw people. So what I did was a "30 days challenge" of 100% raw to see what happens - what cravings come up, how much weight I lose, how unhappy I get, etc. It turned out a success and I never went back to cooked. I don't exclude the cooked possibility for the future, but I just want to see a reason for it first.
So, I think you will know when the time is right for you. Just try not to slip way back from 95% and it will be great! (forgot to add: eat lots, never go hungry).
#93 of 189 Old 03-11-2006, 05:21 PM

I just did a quick search in a food index at the library for research that would suggest algaes are good sources of B12. I am not finding anything supportive, except perhaps one article but I did not have access to the full text.

Then I did a quick and dirty search of vegan sites online and found that most don't recommend the vegan forms.

So, point me in the direction of the research if anyone knows of any.

And from the reading, it would appear that a plasma B12 would not be a good test for vegans who eat a lot of the algae form since the test does not distinguish between the analogs and real deal. A plasma homocysteine would be better. This test is pretty common and might be available through you doc, which means insurance would cover it if you have it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#94 of 189 Old 03-11-2006, 06:20 PM

www.algae-world.com/algae82.html#prana
www.algae-world.com/algae82.html

Again, not certain, but here's something I was reading.
#95 of 189 Old 03-11-2006, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Planta!
#96 of 189 Old 03-14-2006, 11:33 PM

I would love to be 100% raw. I tried it with no transition last summer and for the whole week I felt great. I had so much energy and just felt...great! But I guess it was too much for me to jump into from my carniverous SAD cause I just crashed. I haven't gotten on it again.

I'd really like to, but I have some concerns. Since that week I have been more aware of my body. Meat, dairy and processed foods make me feel ill. I can no longer stand to eat regular store bought honey, only the raw wildflower honey. I can't stand artificial sweeteners anymore. That's all good. I crave the stuff that makes me sick like crazy though, so I'm not totally off it. I do eat meat about 2x a week, and then it isn't like a big chunk of meat, it's only a little bit in a dish. I rarely have dairy and eggs. I don't eat as many processed foods. I've been working in more raw.

The thing that worries me is that I don't like nuts too much and I don't like alot of veggies. I could live off of bananas and grapes (if I could find organic ones ). I'm anemic, though I'm taking a suplement right now for it. Although its not helping 100% I feel alot better than when I'm not taking it. I've started juicing green stuff (like kale or bok choy or spinach) and making smoothies with it with bananas and chocolate soy milk (though I swear I'm trying to cut that out ). I've also been trying to find out why I can taste even minute amounts of salt in food. I figure it must be a deficiency, someone on here suggested a ph imbalance (which my limited research turned up could be the result of too much animal in diet...I have hardly any)

So anyway, that's where I am. I'm trying to figure out how I can work more raw in my diet, and most days I'm doing better than the day before, but I'm nowhere near where I would like to be

Wow, I wrote alot...I think it's bedtime
#97 of 189 Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 AM

The truth is that meat eaters are defficient in vit.B12 too, probably because the animals they eat, did not get enough of the vitamin from the plants and soil, because soil is so depleted.
Allisa's Cohen forum has some articles about that vitamin problem. See, it doesn't look like supplements do much for our health, since nutrients work in concert- lycopene in the pill won't protect men from prostate cancer, just the tomatoe will. So why the blood shows more of vit.B12 after supplements are taken? tests do not show, if the it is used by body, or if the body is trying to get rid of daily dose. The same a lot of calcium in the blood is not a good sign - it might be, that body is so acidic, that it drains calcium out of bones to keep blood more alkaline.
#98 of 189 Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 AM

As for dehydrator - I love my, and use it at least once a week for making crakers, drying left over herbs and vegetables for spices(my goal is to eliminate salt, especially after I found out that my favorite Bragg's Aminos are full of MSG(!), which comes out in the process of making it), cookies, cake crusts and similar things. You could use oven on the lowest setting with propped doors, but I bet with gas prices so high, it would be even more expensive in the long turn.
I would save money and buy it(no less than 5 tray, bigger family definetely needs 9 tray), because it did help me to stay on raw together with a lot of greens, which take care of cravings.
#99 of 189 Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 AM

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the excalibur 9 tray. I found a site (not sure if I posted?) that carries juicers, dehydrators and vitamixes CHEAP. I think the 9 tray was like $195 including shipping?

I am loving the juicing thing. I made one today recommended by a friend. Apple, kale, grapefruit and grapes. It was awesome. I did it in hte vitamix, so all the fiber was still there-you may want to try mixing the kale with fruit (it combines fine) instead of masking it with cocolate soymilk. The taste is really quite pleasant. I find that the farther I get from processed foods (off them for a year or so now) the less they speak to me. It just takes that final commitment.

It is true that supplements just don't take the place of foods. We have no idea of how many micronutrients exist-and as they do work in concert no supplement will ever rival the original source. Science will just never get there.
#100 of 189 Old 03-15-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellona
The thing that worries me is that I don't like nuts too much and I don't like alot of veggies. I could live off of bananas and grapes (if I could find organic ones ).
IMO, there is nothing to worry concerning this. You could try once to let your instinct loose and eat only what you want (only raw, of course), even if that means grapes all day. The body is very happy with mono-meals as they are easy to digest.
I think the key is to pay attention to what you crave because it can change suddenly. After a week of grapes you might be surprised to find, let's say, that lettuce is very attractive. Your attraction to grapes will definetely not last forever if you eat tons of them. This is unlike the case of cooked stuff.
More on food instincts: http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/...graw_eat2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellona
I'm anemic, though I'm taking a suplement right now for it. Although its not helping 100% I feel alot better than when I'm not taking it.
Have you considered the possibility that grains make you anaemic? I think this was the case with me. Iron is in everything (at least in what I was eating), yet so many people are anaemic. I think this plays a big role:
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...%20article.pdf or the html version:
http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...client=firefox
#101 of 189 Old 03-15-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the excalibur 9 tray. I found a site (not sure if I posted?) that carries juicers, dehydrators and vitamixes CHEAP. I think the 9 tray was like $195 including shipping?

I am loving the juicing thing. I made one today recommended by a friend. Apple, kale, grapefruit and grapes. It was awesome. I did it in hte vitamix, so all the fiber was still there.
I would love the link for the site you mentioned!

I don't have a juicer but make a lot of green smoothies. Actually I make a lot of the same one (water, oranges, bananas, kale or spinach). I'll have to try the one you posted. Anyone have any other good combos with greens?
#102 of 189 Old 03-15-2006, 02:41 PM

www.rawfoodadvantage.com I talk to Cheryl and I can give you her # directly if you want it. They sell below wholesale in some cases so they can't post prices. I really like them-they have very strong ethics. If you wnat to buy a $250 machine that they sell for $165 you can donate extra $ for the help you get if you feel it's warranted (It always is with Cheryl! I definitely recommend her over the others. She's a raw mama and has been doing this for a long time. She's full of great and helpful info. She even talked me out of a purchase because she felt it would be redundant for me. That's service! It's not their job to sell you, KWIM? They just want to educate-see their site and you'll get what I mean.) I really like them.

I'm a veggie juice mama myself. I tend to juice veggies, but make fruit smoothies. However I am delighted with smoothies that have apple and greens in them. I have mixed other things in, but they're all good. When I juice I do beets, carrots, celery, parsley, and cucumber. That's my favorite!
#103 of 189 Old 03-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Oops! I lost this thread. Thanks for the link, firefaery.

One of the raw books I got from the library had a chart on sprouting, so I thought I'd branch out. I've had trouble with chickpeas going rancid in the past, so this time I soaked them in the fridge for 48 hours before I started sprouting them. They still smelled sweet after two days! Then I decided to go for 3 - big mistake! Fed them to the worms.

I also tried sprouting amaranth. It was an overwhelming successing! 3/4 cup of grain and my jar got so full I had to take some out to rinse it. The problem? We don't like it! I've choked some down with berries, etc., but I still have an almost full jar in the fridge. Any suggestions?
#104 of 189 Old 03-20-2006, 03:17 PM

We don't do grains, so I got nothin'! I bet you could make some crackers or flatbread if you dehydrate though...
#105 of 189 Old 03-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Hello my name is Tanya wife to Todd, we have 7 children. Shane, Shannon, Shawn, Maya, Ian, Elijah (Elijah is at home in Heaven) and Todd Jr. (TJ). I have wanted to go Raw along time; my husband has a different opinion on it he does not want to. Any ideas on how to get him to want to change to a Raw diet with me?
#106 of 189 Old 03-22-2006, 03:50 PM

Does noone ever post here?
#107 of 189 Old 03-22-2006, 04:10 PM

Very sporadically! Welcome!
#108 of 189 Old 03-22-2006, 04:35 PM

This site has been changed, now you can't search with short 3 letter words, like "raw"; it makes finding threads like this very difficult. I'm subscribed to this particular thread, but if anyone wanted to find out about raw foods, searching on this forum would prove to be difficult.

There are raw mamas here, they're just hiding.
#109 of 189 Old 03-22-2006, 04:41 PM

I'm here! I'm here!
#110 of 189 Old 03-22-2006, 04:50 PM

We're climbing out of the woodwork!
#111 of 189 Old 03-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Shepherds
I have wanted to go Raw along time; my husband has a different opinion on it he does not want to. Any ideas on how to get him to want to change to a Raw diet with me?
I think you should simply not say "now we're switching to raw", but incorporate more and more raw stuff in the daily menus. You could start with the sweet side - lots of drinks, smoothies and desserts you can make. Then you could try occasional raw dishes or courses. For inspiration you could use: http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/RawRecipes.htm
Is he very keen on milk? Could you make him to try once a delicious almond milk (or other nut milks)? Maybe first with his favourite cereal, not straight...
Another idea is to make dehydrated stuff - it can be hard to know whether they are cooked or not. Raw dips can also be delicious.
You just need a bit of perseverance in finding stuff he likes. Don't be discouraged if he says "yuck" to many recipes. Maybe he'll get to love others. I'm sure I would have loved some long before I started raw.

Good luck and sorry if I don't see your posts on time!
#112 of 189 Old 03-26-2006, 11:56 PM

Yay! other people! I am going to go raw then share with my family.... maybe they will change too!
#113 of 189 Old 03-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Little Shepherds~

It's great that you are considering a raw lifestyle! I encourage you to go raw first, don't worry about your family for the time being. After you have gotten the hang of everything, (after a few months of a very high, or 100% raw diet) then begin incorporating smoothies bowls of fruit, salads with dinner etc. The first few months can be confusing because your own cravings will drive you a bit batty, let yourself adjust rather than your entire household.

In the mean time, read as much as you can about raw foods, preperation and folks that have gone down this road before. Read as much as you can, inform yourself, and ask lots of questions; people will begin asking lots of questions of you (depending on how much you let people know what you are doing).

Some authors that I would recommend beyond the familiar Boutenko family, Alissa Cohen, David Wolfe, Gabriel Cousens, etc is Arnold Ehret and Norman W. Walker. Overall, ease yourself into raw with whatever books seem pertinant at the time, then deepen your knowledge with more and more books.

Raw families are great, even our dog loves avocados, but first, work on yourself; the way you respond to the change will be an example to your household.
#114 of 189 Old 03-27-2006, 11:33 AM

Wow, what great advice! I agree 100%. We are doing a raw challenge on another thread-don't know how to link you, but you may find some good support there as there are plenty of mamas just starting out. We'd love to see you there!
#115 of 189 Old 03-27-2006, 01:54 PM

Anyone have a good recipe for raw fake sausage? I had the opportunity to sample some recently, but I couldn't obtain the recipe. I do know it was made with nuts and spices. It was soooooooo good! The 5 raw cookbooks I have checked out of the library don't have it!
#116 of 189 Old 03-27-2006, 02:17 PM

i'm excited to have found this thread! i'm a new mom (ds lucian is 4 mnths) and have eaten raw/living foods 100% on and off for 4 1/2 years. when i became pregnant i was in school for nutrition and was experimenting with other eating lifestyles, i wasn't all raw so couldn't get back to it 100% due to detox. strangely enough, i had a big bout of thrush when ds was born and cut out all fruit - which is killing me! i now am stareting to incorporate low sugar fruits again (apples, pears, berries). by summertime, i will eat all fruits again (i say with intention).

i must say, after all the experimenting, raw/living foods make me feel so vibrant. i now specialize in them with clients.

i've got one issue as i continue my transition back - my milk supply tends to run low when i have days of all raw. i just don't have the time to make elaborate recipes anymore. and as i've travelled on my raw journey, heavy foods like nuts aren't appealing to me anymore. any words of wisdom from other bfing moms?

i'm so happy to have found you all. if you need recipes, i have a huge library of them (i used work in a raw restaurant making yummy dishes!)
#117 of 189 Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemama
Anyone have a good recipe for raw fake sausage? I had the opportunity to sample some recently, but I couldn't obtain the recipe. I do know it was made with nuts and spices. It was soooooooo good! The 5 raw cookbooks I have checked out of the library don't have it!
I want to try to make some because I think it should be relatively easy (I've become quite relaxed with the raw recipes, I'm starting to understand what's behind them). What kept me from trying is the fact that I don't have access to nice simple spices and spice mixtures. I am put off by all those additives, etc, and I keep postponing the work of making my own mix. Otherwise I would simply buy a spice mixture for sausages or meats and add it to a nut pate (for example walnuts, sunflower seeds and/or almonds + celery and some carrots). I guess some dehydration would improve the similarity to the real sausages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanzi
i've got one issue as i continue my transition back - my milk supply tends to run low when i have days of all raw. i just don't have the time to make elaborate recipes anymore. and as i've travelled on my raw journey, heavy foods like nuts aren't appealing to me anymore. any words of wisdom from other bfing moms?

i'm so happy to have found you all. if you need recipes, i have a huge library of them (i used work in a raw restaurant making yummy dishes!)
Regarding the milk, no big wisdom from me, just some thoughts. I remember reading that veggies such as cabbage and onion can reduce the supply, while stuff like fennel increases it. Maybe you could look up somewhere for such lists and apply them to your diet?
I'm excited about your library of recipes! Do you have something special with exotic fruits? (They are good anyway, but if you know of a particularly yummy combo) Our staples are papaya, pineapple, banana, oranges, coconuts (young+old). I am a bit frustrated when I see all the recipes centered on "normal" fruits (couldn't have imagined this a few years back, but here we are in Belize...)
#118 of 189 Old 03-28-2006, 12:46 AM

My supply has gotten better on raw. I am a low-supply mama, so I know a bit about galactagogues!
Make a sun tea with Red Raspberry Leaf, Nettles, Blessed Thistle, Fenugreek, Fennel and oatsraw. Do it as an infusion and drink a quart a day. You can also use the More Milk Plus tincture to bridge the gap.
You can also sprout fenugreek and eat it. It is very well known for increasing supply. I don't think you will need to supplement for long though!
#119 of 189 Old 04-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Mab

hi everyone

just wanted to share a very good link, Storm's (from thegardendiet.com) blog. He's a 57 yo guy who is in amazing health, and he, his wife Jinjee (whose story is on the website) and their 4 children are raw. I got this on the email a minute ago and I'm really enjoying it. Inspiring stuff

http://jinjee1.securesites.net/rawveganforever/
#120 of 189 Old 04-04-2006, 09:07 PM

i love Jinjee, not all that in love with Storm. I have their DVD, it was worth watching-once.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page