Raw Mamas... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 189 Old 04-06-2006, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been raw for a week now feeling great! Having a few cravings but I wont cave.. I can do this!
#122 of 189 Old 04-06-2006, 11:39 PM

I have been raw for a week now feeling great! Having a few cravings but I wont cave.. I can do this!
#123 of 189 Old 04-07-2006, 10:55 AM

:
#124 of 189 Old 04-28-2006, 01:16 PM

where are y'all raw mamas!!!!!!!!!!??????????
#125 of 189 Old 05-01-2006, 07:33 PM

This thread needs reviving.
#126 of 189 Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 AM

We are high raw as a family. With breastfeeding, though, I have been craving things that I have not eaten in years......like eggs!
Any suggestions?
I have been adding flax to everything, etc. trying to get my efa's up.
Kerensa
#127 of 189 Old 05-04-2006, 12:46 AM

Bump!
#128 of 189 Old 05-04-2006, 03:00 PM

kerensa-

Eating greens is supposed to help with cravings because they contain a high amount of minerals and protein (most people don't realize). We eat green smoothies (banana, pineapple, & spinach or mixed spring greens) each day, sometimes twice a day. I have been working on increasing the greens in the smoothie. We change the fruit according to what is in season and use different greens (kale, chard, beet tops) as they are available.

Cashew and almond butter help me out a bit along with avocados and coconuts, but not nearly as much as eating a ton of greens.
#129 of 189 Old 05-04-2006, 04:08 PM

Yes, I eat a HUGE dark green salad at least once daily. I agree....it helps. Also, my frozen bananna "ice cream" has been helpful.
I am just so craving rich things. Whereas a pear used to satisfy me, now it's gotta be a sliced apple dipped in almond butter, ya know?
Kerensa
www.rowantreetoys.com
#130 of 189 Old 05-11-2006, 07:38 PM
B2*

Been lurking for awhile & decided to browse through the Nutrition forum & so glad to see a thread about Raw. I have been raw since Nov. 2005.

Just reviving the thread & adding my support.
#131 of 189 Old 05-11-2006, 07:55 PM

I'm about 80% raw now.

(I know it's nothing compared to some of you raw gurus.)

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#132 of 189 Old 05-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Eating high amounts of raw is great. 80% is awsome!!

Karensa, some people eat hemp seeds and hemp powder if they feel they can't get enough protein. Eating lots of greens will be the most helpful, but some need more, like the hemp. Check out rawfood.com for hemp products, other sites probably sell them as well.
#133 of 189 Old 05-11-2006, 10:17 PM

Glad to have this thread-I have been all over the health forums and find myself feeling pretty good here, like I finally fit in!

I have four kiddos and we are raw for two meals/day and all snacks. I have a lot to learn, thank you all for posting the tips and links! Keep them coming!

Michele
#134 of 189 Old 05-11-2006, 11:16 PM

Wow-I've been slipping. I am definitely needing to tweak things again. I am experimenting alot right now dietarily and trying to find where I *feel* best as opposed to where I think I should feel best. It's tough. Glad to see this thread being revived though!
#135 of 189 Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Wow-I've been slipping. I am definitely needing to tweak things again. I am experimenting alot right now dietarily and trying to find where I *feel* best as opposed to where I think I should feel best. It's tough. Glad to see this thread being revived though!
Hi FF-I know what you mean about "feelings"! This feels right for me, right now. Thanks for your help and good luck "tweaking".

Michele
#136 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 08:04 AM

i am not a raw mama (i do try to eat many raw foods and dishes though, but i still love hot vegetable soups and a steak every now and then), so please forgive me if i am butting in, but i have a question:

i want give my dd as much raw and nutritious food as possible. i thought i would start with fluids. she loves to drink water and i was thinking 20oz a day of water is a good amount (she is 20 months tomorrow). she also likes rooibos tea, but i'm going to give her the weleda nursing mothers tea and/or nettle tea instead (we don't add any milk or sugar/sweetner to tea), about 4oz a day. i also wanted to give her some green vegetable and garlic or onion juice (she loves raw garlic and onion), about 4oz a day too.
anyway, i was confused about the whole juicing at low speed versus blending thing. i've heard that juicing at a low speed preserves the vitamins and minerals, and then when i went on that site rawfoodadvantage.com it basically states the opposite - that a blender be used for maximum benefit because juicers don't juice out the phytochemicals. i tried blending some pears and kiwi tonight and i notice that they turn brown very quickly, probably because of the high speed (which causes oxidation) and it makes me think that blending at high speed indeed denatures vitamins and minerals.

so what do you mama's think? are there any studies comparing low speed juicers to powerful blenders? and do vegetables and fruits blended with a high power motor taste very gritty? mine did even at the highest speed but i just have a braun, not a vitamix or anything.

i'm off to make some raw vegan gazpacho soup for dinner.
#137 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 AM

I don't know if this is at all helpful...but here's how I have always learned it. I juice veggies and blend fruit. Because of the high sugar content of fruit you want the fiber intact to slow down the absorption process. With greens and most veggies you don't need all that cellulose so it's fine to juice and extract the fiber-actually easier in some respects for the body.

SO-my kids drink green juices, but blended smoothies. The guy at raw food advantage doesn't actually believe in juicing period. He blends even his greens (which I have done, and it's good too.) It's true that you are going to get more nutrients eating the "whole" food, so I can see where he's coming from.

Nettles are a fabulous source of nutrients! My kids do nettles, alfalfa and RRL with me during pregnancy! Yum!
#138 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 01:16 PM

e
#139 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM

Hi,
I'm not all raw, but live surrounded by raw-foodists (my husband use to be the garden manager at the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center, in Patagonia AZ). I just wanted to reccomend, if you dont already know about it) a book called "Baby Greeens" ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...Fencoding=UTF8 ) it has been written by a mother in our community, and has great info for raw-food kids. Also, if you need equipement, check out rawguru.com, he has the best prices. Enjoy!
#140 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 01:40 PM

e
#141 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM

another good ressource is Frontier (http://www.frontiercoop.com/ ) they have a great selection of natural products. Also, see sunorganic.com
I got these hookups from the TOL
#142 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 02:06 PM

I would also add mountainroseherbs.com for spices, bulk, essential oils etc - lots of organic and wild harvested items. If you have any questions, you can call the company and the folks are always friendly and knowledgeable.

This is also a great place to get seeds for the garden!
#143 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 02:28 PM

The sunorganic.com has really good prices on nuts and olives! Thanks for the links elfine!
#144 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 02:40 PM

you are welcome!
For olives, check out
Adams Olive Ranch
1 888 216 - 5483
adamsolives@ocsnet.net
most olives you'll find on the market are not ripe/raw, but this guy sells amazing olives. There is a big minimum order, but if you can get other people to go on it, it's really worth it. That's where the TOL and Nature's First Law (David Wolfe) get their olives!
#145 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm new to this forum and my mom said that when she was researching raw she found a site that said there was a vitamin or mineral that was missing if you were 100% raw that could cause major problems, but that a supplement for it would take care of the problem...anyone know what this could be because she couldn't remember.

thanks,
sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#146 of 189 Old 05-12-2006, 08:03 PM

That would probably be B-12, if she meant 100%raw-VEGAN. Dr. Gabriel Cousens has tons of info on that. Visit his website at http.://www.treeoflife.nu
#147 of 189 Old 05-15-2006, 11:43 PM

I am new to the Raw Food idea-although looking back, I have always preferred this way of eating and have taught this to my kiddos-just never had a name for it!

Reading lots of books and web sites-is the e-book The Garden Diet worth it?

Thanks for the info on this thread-really enjoying it!
#148 of 189 Old 05-16-2006, 12:01 AM

It was an interesting read. He is very passionate and that DEFINITELY comes across. There wasn't alot of research or facts and that bothered me. If you are gathering info it might be worth it. IF you are looking for data and science to back up the choices and know you're moving in the right direction I wouldn't recommend it. For that I'd go for Gabriel Cousens-really well researched and lots of facts that will comfort you. You could also do lighter reads that are still better in my opinion...Alissa Cohen or even David Wolfe-again, super passionate, but better more cohesive info.
#149 of 189 Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info, firefaery-off to look those up on inter-library loan!
#150 of 189 Old 05-20-2006, 03:51 PM

hi mamas

does anyone have any info on the Vita Mix Mark 20 ? its an oldy,,,but is it a goody?

thx

dust.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page