Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Good Eating (http://www.mothering.com/forum/267-nutrition-good-eating/)
-   -   Raw Mamas... (http://www.mothering.com/forum/267-nutrition-good-eating/389349-raw-mamas.html)

*green*faery* 12-31-2005 01:19 AM

HI!
Ok, I'm not looking for a debate ( like I've seen in some other post), I'm looking more for support and to share ideas, recipes, and experiences with each other! My husband and I have experimented with raw, I've read a lot, taken classes for raw food prep and for us it really works. We've both been veggie for a long time and I've never felt better then when we ate all raw(usually lasting 4-6 weeks at a time). We decided to eat all raw in February and after that we will assess and see if we can keep it going.

I'm starting to eat more raw now to make the transition easier. I'm going to start dehydrating some goodies and buy nuts & stuff in bulk. I had my first baby a couple months ago and now am a SAHM

I just ordered a new food processor (my old one broke) can't wait to get it!

So, are there any raw mama's or aspiring raw mamas that want to chat???

Planta 12-31-2005 02:42 PM

Yes!

Count me in any time for a chat on raw!
I am 100% now for almost 4 months, after about a year and a half of transition. I don't know if I can keep it forever, but right now it's great.

Mab 01-01-2006 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planta
Yes!

I am 100% now for almost 4 months, after about a year and a half of transition.
awesome!

would you tell us the logistics of that transition time? I've been reading lots and having raw days here and there but nothing stable, since early 2005. Any tips? Thanks!

Peace~* 01-01-2006 06:37 PM

Hi Mamas,
: i have wanted to go RAW for a long time, just have had so many changes in the last few years, it's been tough to even eat Really well! My Third is on the way and my oldest Just turned Three! So.... i'll come on over here and see if i can get motivated. Might help for after baby comes. :

Happy New Year!
Peace~*

Planta 01-01-2006 07:45 PM

Mab,

Thank you for your interest. I am happy to share what I found out - I must say I sweated a lot for it. A few ideas:

1- The biggest factor that leads to failure is the social one. I think that even people that would have it easy otherwise can fail because of the surrounding pressure. It is hard to battle day after day with the world, both at the level of cravings and at other psychological levels (such as the sensation of being the odd one out, not fitting with the rest, etc).
Sometimes I dream of how it would be in a society of at least 50% raw foodists. You go out and you see adverts for gorgeous fruits or raw treats; when you feel like eating a bite you easily find a place selling tons of different juices, smothies, raw treats; when you want an evening out you find a nice cosy restaurant serving gourmet elaborate raw dishes; at the mom/baby gatherings the snacks are delicious slices of fruit or dehydrated raw crackers, etc. Furthermore, you have friends that don't think you're a loony when you explain your diet, but share their latest raw recipe.... Dreams...
It all adds up. At first, the enthusiasm of discovering the raw diet shades everything else, but afterwards you beginn to feel either a lonely soldier, a mad case or the victim of a funny, passing fashion.
I am super-lucky that my husband embraced the raw idea too. Otherwise I'm almost sure I wouldn't be eating raw today. I can't imagine how some people manage to stay raw in a cooked family.
The advice I can think of for this point is to find some friends that are at least somewhat supportive of the diet. If real people are not possible, then the forums on the net become vital.

2- There is no universal best plan for the transition, because we are all adapted differently to the cooked diet.
This became clear for me right from the beginning because dh and I had totally different reactions and preferences when we started. He, a sweet tooth, was very happy to jump straight into eating tons of fruits and felt fantastic, as if a weight had been lifted off him. I couldn't eat much, was unhappy and had many points of really hating everything raw.
The key is simply perseverance and trying lots of tips from the many nice people on the net.
For example, I had problems with eating sweet fruits - it was making me dizzy and sometimes fainty. I read that these could mean some hypoglicemia and a temporary solution was to mix fruits with nuts (even though in general is considered bad). I made delicious smoothies and it helped a lot. Later I discovered that the sluggishness I had could be due to too much fat in the diet. I analysed my diet and I was scared to see it was true. I started to reduce it and at the same time increased the amount of fruits and I started to feel better and better. In several months I managed to conquer the unpleasant sugar-related symptoms and was free to eat anything! Now the problem were the cravings and the hidden idea that 100% is somehow incomplete. I stayed at this stage for about 1 year, eating mainly raw but with some cooked additions (such as cheese on salads, roasted nuts, tortilla chips, some meat, etc). After moving to Belize, out of stress, I started to eat a bit more cooked. Then I realised I wasn't really deeply craving or needing that food, so I decided to try a 30 days raw challenge (an idea from Alissa Cohen). It was great and I decided to continue it to see when the cravings kick back in. Well, so far they haven't! (soon 4 months).
I have the impression that everybody, including the famous raw "gurus", overemphasizes the personal experience. I am sure I would have done the same if it wasn't for my dh that had a different transition experience. The trick is to find, among the people that give advice, the ones that were in a similar metabolic situation with you at the starting point and describe having similar problems. All the others might be well intentioned and knowledgeable, but this field is still young and they might be wrong in your particular case.

3- Even though I believe the transition is an individual journey, I think that the "ideal" human diet is more or less universal. Humans are incredibly adaptable, but there still must be one diet that our physiology is best adapted to.
I'm not very sure of what this is, but I excluded from it: grains, all other plant material unedible raw and large amounts of animal products. I think our physiology is a vegetarian one (fruitarian more precisely), but there isn't any proof that small amounts of animal products aren't needed. At the moment I am vegan because I want to be able to produce or gather all my food, and I simply can't imagine killing and eating raw an animal (I can only imagine picking eggs, but they don't atract me at the moment). If this changes in time maybe I'll consume animal products, raw.
So, at the moment we eat lots of fruits in the morning (simple or smothies, juices), we have a giant salad at lunch or dinner, and fit in some nutty meal during the day.

4- It is essential to eat enough. The total callories should not be under 1500, preferably much higher. All the talk about needing less calories when eating raw, etc, does not apply during transition!
If enough raw food simply can't be eaten, then some cooked should be added (preferably towards the end of the day). Otherwise starvation will lead to severe problems (even for overweight people) and the original purpose will be missed completely ("jumping over the horse").

5- Cooked food will always win if given a chance!
Some long time foodists say that in time cooked becomes less and less attractive. Maybe so, but only if there is a strong mental component. At the instinctual level we'll always prefer cooked, as all the animals do.
I am still very attracted by certain cooked smells and dishes, but I just "know" they are not for me. If I don't see or smell them I don't want them.
Minimizing temptations is vital during transition.
I think huge cravings should be given in to. It can be counterproductive to struggle so much.
One trick is to always eat something raw when hungry and not to get to a very hungry state in the first place, by eating something raw on time.

Wow, I've written so much! I hope I didn't bore you to death!
As you see, I'm happy to answer your questions.

CrazyCatLady 01-01-2006 08:46 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out. I want to go raw for at least one or two meals a day. But I have no idea of any good recipes or if I could afford it really (nuts are expensive). Can't afford a cookbook right now, so I'll be snooping around here and other threads. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Planta 01-01-2006 09:22 PM

Melaya,

It's true that this diet can be very expensive. But if you think you invest in health...
I don't have any raw cookbook because there are tons of recipes on the net. This link is great:
http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/RawRecipes.htm
Also there are many raw forums with tons of recipes.
Many are very elaborate, but some are simple and delicious. I often think that I would have enjoyed some even before switching to raw.

If you make a rough list of what you are comfortable with buying maybe I can think what you can prepare (it would be a nice exercise for me and maybe new ideas).

Mountain Chick 01-03-2006 10:32 PM

Meyala,
You should check your library if you really want an uncookbook to follow. If your library is like mine you should find at least a few books.

Also, there is a huge raw food community in Washington. You should check the internet (google.com), or ask in your local healthfood store.

Here's a link with some raw food restraurant in the Olympia area: http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...ngton/olympia/

You don't have to start your raw journey with nuts. Fruits and vegetables would be a great way to start. Do you like avacados? How about a couple of avacados with olive oil, cayenne pepper, onion & garlic powder, dill & salt. Or your favorite guacamole recipe on Ezekiel Sprouted Bread. Or one of my favorite sandwiches is a vegetable sandwich: hummus, green leaf lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber, bean sprouts, avacado, alfalfa sprouts, and red onion...on Ezekiel Bread, or you could use the lettuce leaves as the "bread" and make them like wraps, or rolls. What are your favorite fruits...or raw veggies...how about eating as much of your favorite one as you want, until you feel full. I do that when watermelon is in season. Sometimes I just want and eat watermelon all day long.

If you are going to eat a combo of cooked and raw, eat the raw first to get the enzymes going. And anytime you eat cooked food it would help your body a great deal if you took a good enzyme supplement.

Just some ideas to get you started. Hope they help.

prana 01-03-2006 11:16 PM

Have any of you checked out RawFoodTalk.com?
http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/forum/index.php

They even have an area called Raising Raw Kids that also discusses issues from raw pregnancies to breastfeeding.

Planta 01-03-2006 11:37 PM

Yes, I like this site a lot. I got some nice recipe ideas from it and I enjoy reading it occasionally.

*green*faery* 01-04-2006 06:30 PM

Hi mamas~
My power has been out for a couple days But it's back on now

mmmm, I had a smoothie for breakfast with young coconut, banana and pear, it was really good!

Planta~ That's so great that your husband is into it too! So is mine! A friend of mine was eating raw, making these elaborate raw dishes, and cooking food for her boyfriend! I don't think I would have the will power or energy to do that! 4 months, that's awesome! You must feel really good!

I am convinced that we can eat this way without spending more. In the past when we have eaten raw we would buy a lot of prepared raw treats that are really expensive, so this time I'm going to try and make everything. Luckily I have a friend that's interested so we are going to trade a raw dish once a week. In the summer we will have a big garden, but right now produce is expensive

This week I'm making something like raw power sticks, like these~
http://www.rawfood.com/cgi-bin/order...Food_Items&tc=

They are pretty easy to make, I bought raw nori direct from~
http://www.seaveg.com/sushi_nori_raw.html

Then you just make any kind of nut pate, roll it in thin strips in the nori and dehydrate it.

It's nice to have stuff like that around, so if you haven't really planned ahead or want a snack on the go you can grab those and some fruit and your good Especially for my husband, he works 10-12hr a day, so these are good in-between snacks, just make sure to drink lots of water with the dehydrated stuff

This company has good prices on raw nuts and fruit~
www.glaserorganicfarms.com

Babys crying, I'll talk to you later~

mommaem 01-05-2006 11:45 PM

thanks for all the info mommas! cant wait to incorpurate some things into diet! :

emily

momma to : : 07-23-05

:

danieliausmama 01-08-2006 02:14 AM

Great! Finnaly found some raw mamas on this forum. I was raw in September for 3 weeks, but last two I was craving awfully cooked foods, so slowly I went back to cooked, but now after reading Victoria's Boutenko book Green for Life, I am raw for over 6 weeks almost without any cravings! The difference is the amount of deep color greens I consume this time - I make smoothies from mango, banana, pear or apple and greens - kale, dandellion, mustard, spinach, etc. around a bunch a day.
The two days I had cravings were when I did not have a smoothie. On Christmas day I had some weak social cravings, but they are very weak, if your body gets enough nutrients from deep greens.
The other great thing from this is that my sweat doesn't have bad odor, because of the chlorophyl in them.

danieliausmama 01-12-2006 08:59 PM

HOW IT IS GOING RAW MAMAS?
Did you try any raw cake recipe? I would like to make one for upcoming birthday.

Panserbjorne 01-13-2006 12:24 PM

I have a raw strawberry pie recipe that my family (even my parents who are the worst eater ever!) begs for. If you want the recipe let me know. I also have a raw carrot cake recipe, though that's not as good.
We are raw 80% of the time. It's hard for me and I work hard to get closer to all raw. We're vegan, but we're also GF which makes it hard. I'll figure it out someday!
ITA with the avacado idea...that would help anyone! My kiddos favorite is a salad with onion, cucumber, avacado and olives with some olive oil and spices. They get it almost every day!

Planta 01-13-2006 08:26 PM

I make a carrot cake that has become a staple for us, we eat it at least once /week. Every time I make more and it still doesn't seem enough. I made it also for my ds's birthday last year, but it wasn't a great success for the "cooked" - they said the taste was nice but the consistency weird.

The original recipe: http://www.fromsadtoraw.com/Recipes/CarrotCake.htm
I modified it like this: I don't put grated carrots, only the pulp. I use the juice to grind the almonds (it's easier on my blender) and sweeten with honey since we are tight on dates here (but it's much nicer with dates!). My icing is totally different: only bananas (usually apple-bananas because we have many and it has a pleasant sourness that way) + generous amounts of carob.

Another cake I tried is the "kumquat and nutmeg cheezecake" from http://www.shazzie.com/raw/recipes/
I never managed it like in the recipe (mainly due to lack of ingredients), but it was always good anyway.

I want to try many more cakes since it is a great way to make raw food attractive to ds.
If anyone has a nice recipe with exotic fruits (mainly pineapple, papaya, banana), please share it. I find lots of recipes with the "normal" temperate fruits which are not available here or are very expensive (an apple costs as much as 10 oranges or 10 bananas).

momma2finn 01-14-2006 03:03 AM

So tell me more about grains...I'm wondering about these crackers mentioned by a PP. What is ezekiel bread? I love fruits and veggies (I've always prefered them raw over cooked) but I also love rice and whole grain breads and cooked beans....how does one transition?

Also, is the difference between a raw diet and vegan diet that vegans eat cooked food?

tahini17 01-14-2006 03:48 PM

Hey everybody, I'm new on MDC and happy to find others who dabble in raw. I've been a vegan for a long time (momma2fin: most regular-style vegans do eat cooked food, just no animal products at all. Raw foodists are often vegan from what I've seen/read/experienced anyway, but some eat raw fish or dairy, and thus don't take into account the same moral issues that vegans do.)

I've been progressing towards mostly raw for about 6-8 months, it almost feels like a natural progression from vegan. Right now I'm raw except for the hummus or other veggie pate I dip my veggies in, and it feels great! I eat lots of smoothies, and am amazed at how great veggies taste now that I'm raw- I never used to like stuff like radishes or cabbage, and now I can't get enough!!! My husband, a vegan, is interested too, but not quite to my extent- he still wants his tofu tacos!!! But he eats whatever I make, so that's helpful. I do still feed my 2 1/2 year old some cooked foods, just because I feel like I'm still experimenting for myself and he is growing so I don't want to experiment with his health at this point- raising a vegan child is radical enough!

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with all of you, I especially am interested in quick and easy dehydrator-less recipes- I'm a busy momma, not really into making elaborate things that I can't eat for 12 hours!!!

callmemama 01-14-2006 09:18 PM

Subscribing! I'm not raw, but would definitely love to incorporate more raw food into our diet! As for the social aspects of going raw, I think we've pretty much got that covered with our gf, vegan diet in the midwest!

I've been making green smoothies every morning for at least a month. We're going through the kale, collards, and spinach really fast! I've discovered I don't like Romaine lettuce in smoothies (even though I love it in salads).

Anyone sprout lentils or other beans? I make a sprouted lentil salad with onion, red pepper, whatever is on hand, and serve it over torn lettuce with walnuts and raisins and lemon juice.

Mountain Chick 01-14-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:
I have a raw strawberry pie recipe that my family (even my parents who are the worst eater ever!) begs for. If you want the recipe let me know.
Please, please, please... : : :

Panserbjorne 01-15-2006 12:49 PM

It uses the "classic" raw crust. 11/4 cups almonds, soaked 8-12 hours.
1 cup chopped dated (I always use medjool)
1 T. water 1/2 tsp vanilla
dash cinnamon.
Combine all in a food processor-I generally do the almonds first, then add in the dates. Crust should be moist enought to hold together...if not just add a bit of water. Press into an 8 or9 inch pie pan. You can dehydrate in a warm oven, but I don't.

Filling: 4 cups strawberries, quartered

Binder: 6 dates. pitted and soaked
2 cups quartered strawberries
maple syrup to taste
4 tsp. psyllium or I ripe banana.

Place filling strawberries in the crust. Blend binder berries in processor with dates and date soak water to form a paste. Add maple syrup if necessary (depends on your taste) Then add either psullium or banana with the processor still running. Pour over the filling and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Serve within 4 hours.
I sometimes reserve extra quartered strawberries to decorate the top. You know, if I'm serving it to someone besides my family because it doesn't last more than 5 minutes!

momma2finn 01-17-2006 02:09 AM

would any other raw mamas mind sharing some favorite recipes/meal ideas? i need some yummy starting points!

mama_frog 01-17-2006 01:16 PM

Sunflower pate

1 1/2 cups hulled sunflower seeds, soaked overnight, rinsed to remove white inner hulls, then sprouted for 2-4 hours
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp Braggs
garlic to taste

Puree all in food processor. Use as spread on crackers or dip for veggies.
This came from Nomi Shannon's book, it's yummy. You can also add seasonings to it, or chopped red pepper, grated carrot, etc.

Otherwise, I tend not to really make "recipes", I just cut up some fruit or some veg and eat them, lol. Sometimes I'll make a smoothie. I find I usually like to have sunflower pate in the fridge, along with some soaking almonds.

I've been keeping a food log as I transition to raw, so you can see what I eat here, if you are more interested:
http://mama-frog.blogspot.com/

danieliausmama 01-17-2006 09:06 PM

I want that recipe too! Thanks for the other ones too - we have some birthdays coming up, and I can also make some for raw food potluck- I am very lucky to live in Los Angeles, where raw foods are very popular. I waited for Nature's First Law book 3 months, because 24 people put it on hold in library before me!
As for dehydrator recipes - they all take long times, because it is drying, not cooking. My son also refuses to understand that the crakers won't be ready untill morning, when I put them in before bedtime. But you don't really need dehydrated foods - they loose around 25% nutritients compared to fresh food. They are good for though, because it helps me to stay raw-their taste reminds cooked. And they are good for taking on the trips and outings.
The difference between vegan and vegan raw is that raw is not heated over 115 or in even 100 degrees. For me 115 is too much - not raw enough for my taste.
I am raw now for 8 weeks and finally started loosing some weight again. So it is not true, that you can not overeat raw, I simply stopped eating after my son goes to bed.
Now I sleep better and lost 3 more pounds(now I am 125 pounds). I do not care so much about the weight, but I still have some fat deposits, so I was wondering.
Did you mamas lost a lot of weight? I heard some rawfooders loose a lot the first half year and then slowly put some back on. Not in my case. I do eat tons of greens in smoothies and salads, and they tend to replace old celles much quicker.

danieliausmama 01-17-2006 09:13 PM

Oops, while I posted You put the pie recipe up! Thanks so much - sounds very delicious, I think I will go with this one for my birthday. I will add some raw chocolate though!

momma2finn 01-18-2006 04:00 AM

nak
mamafrog-great blog!! its good for me to see how easy ans yummy it is to eat raw! approx. how many pounds of salad do you need a week? how bout fruit?

Also, not sure what you mean about hulled in the sunflower pate recipe. can you explain? thank you!

Panserbjorne 01-18-2006 12:22 PM

It's so funny, I never intended to be raw. I was actually told repeatedly (by different docs) that it would be a death sentence. I have pretty significant digestive issues-so I always avoided raw fruit and veggies like the plague. Then I found Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He's who turned me on to a vegan diet and he advocates mostly raw. On his plan you basically aim for a pound of raw fruit, a pound of raw veggies and a pound of cooked veggies a day. This is along with at least a cup of beans and various nuts and seeds. I started the diet because his research made sense, but it scared me-I didn't want to get sicker than I was-KWIM? It was unbelievable though! I recovered 90 percent within the first month. That was enough for me! I'm actually a hundred percent better now and I owe it all to finding raw! Needless to say it keeps me pretty committed I am working to get closer to all raw, but as it stands now the only "cooking" I really do is at dinnertime. I'm thinking of phasing that out, but it's difficult because I'm craving stick to your bones food. I'm pregnant, nursing, and it is winter in New England. Any tips on how to get over the psychological aspects of heavy food? Or Good raw choices to satisfy those needs?

Panserbjorne 01-18-2006 12:27 PM

Mama Frog-forgot to say I love your blog. Thanks for posting it, it's giving me inspiration. Sometimes you "forget" about certain options...it always helps to see what other people are eating.

mama_frog 01-18-2006 01:08 PM

Thanks for the nice comments about my blog.

momma2fin - I buy raw, hulled sunflower seeds, which means the hard black outer hull is removed. Then, after you soak them, there is a thin, papery, white inner hull that also comes off. If you pour the seeds into a big bowl and fill with water, you can skim off those little inner hull pieces, and the pate will last longer. You could just leave them, it doesn't affect the taste, but it will spoil much faster.
I posted my grocery list on my blog yesterday, not sure if you saw that. I'd guess I eat 2 or 3 heads of romaine a week, and probably a pound of baby spinach or other mixed greens from Earthbound Farms. That's for my family of 2 adults, a 3 year old and a 6 year old. I'm going to keep track of it, though, and post the next time grocery shop, so I'll know how long each thing lasts me.

Elisabeth - funny, I think that's a really common path to take to raw. People start out trying out vegetarianism, then veganism, with maybe a short side trip to macrobiotics, and then they head to raw. I remember thinking how raw foodies must be nuts, and I could never eat like that. Why would anyone want to? Lol. Then this past summer, we ate a lot of less than optimal foods while we were camping (nothing really bad, just canned beans, canned tomatoes and minute rice, but it left me really craving fresh food). I told dp when we got home that I was just going to eat fresh fruit and veg for a while. I'm nursing, though, and I wanted to be sure I could meet my nutritional requirements, so I started looking for a diet out there that could prove to me I could get what I needed in the way I felt that my body wanted it. That's when I found Eat to Live (Fuhrman). I followed that roughly for a little while, but the sheer volume was hard to keep up with, and I started finding the cooked part of it really unpalatable. That began a slide into raw.

I find now that raw food tastes SO good. Cooked food looks bland. Even cooked veg just don't look as vibrant or delicious. Breads and other starches (which used to be the mainstay of my diet) aren't as appealing either. I'm losing my sweet tooth. I'm pretty much just following what my body says, though, if it really wanted something cooked, I wouldn't hold back, just because it isn't "raw". I make my family dinner and a big salad for me, and I'll sit down with them to eat, so sometimes I have a taste of what they're having. Like last night, they had vegan shepherd's pie - used to LOVE that - had a little bit of it, but it just tasted like the seasonings, and then it felt really heavy. My salad, though, Mmm was that good, sprouted beans and peppers and seeds.

ankh 01-18-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth
It's so funny, I never intended to be raw. I was actually told repeatedly (by different docs) that it would be a death sentence. I have pretty significant digestive issues-so I always avoided raw fruit and veggies like the plague. Then I found Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He's who turned me on to a vegan diet and he advocates mostly raw. On his plan you basically aim for a pound of raw fruit, a pound of raw veggies and a pound of cooked veggies a day. This is along with at least a cup of beans and various nuts and seeds. I started the diet because his research made sense, but it scared me-I didn't want to get sicker than I was-KWIM? It was unbelievable though! I recovered 90 percent within the first month. That was enough for me! I'm actually a hundred percent better now and I owe it all to finding raw! Needless to say it keeps me pretty committed I am working to get closer to all raw, but as it stands now the only "cooking" I really do is at dinnertime. I'm thinking of phasing that out, but it's difficult because I'm craving stick to your bones food. I'm pregnant, nursing, and it is winter in New England. Any tips on how to get over the psychological aspects of heavy food? Or Good raw choices to satisfy those needs?
Elisabeth we did have an "Eat to live" thread somewhere, We took a bit of a break for the holidays... Off to see where it's at....