Healthy Superbowl Snacks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2003, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom, sister, and her boyfriend are coming over Sunday to hang out and watch the superbowl, and I'll be setting out a bunch of munchies. But I don't want to set out the standard junk cuz then ds (20 months) wants to eat what we're eating, and I hate seeing him fill up on tortilla chips. But beyond veggies and dip, I'm kind of at a loss for healthy yet yummy snack food. (Besides, ds would choke on raw veggies anyway.)

I'd prefer to keep it finger foods so I don't have a bunch of dishes to do. Otherwise I thought about turkey chili. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 06:10 AM

-whole grain pretzels, or are they a choking hazard too?
-i know you're not too keen on raw veggies, but ants-on-a-log are fun for kids(celery, traditionally filled with pnut butter, but you could use any nut butter, with raisins on top) i guess it depends on if your ds has lots of teeth yet or not
-the chili would be a good thing to dip the tortillas in, instead of plain salsa
-cut up a bunch of fresh fruit for a fruit salad-you can keep the pieces whatever size he handles best
- u could make mini pizzas on whole grain bagels or english muffins, with alternative or dairy cheese & healthy toppings (with no need to "bake" the dough, they cook fast-can use toaster oven if u want)
-if u have a copy of Super Baby Food, there's a whole section on toddler recipes, lots of them finger foods-u can probably get it at the library too
Old 01-24-2003, 03:05 PM

You could always put out some hummus and/or baba ganouj with pita bread or pita chips. That's one of my favorites!
Old 01-24-2003, 03:59 PM

Food Network has been featuring Super Bowl recipe ideas. I saw an awesome-looking sandwich/antipasto bowl on Rachel Ray's 30-Minute Meals. She made it with lots of meat, but it could very easily go veggie. Here is a link to that and the other recipes from that show: Antipasto Pie

On the Food Network Website, they always have lots of good recipes for appetizers, parties and stuff like that.

I stick to Sara Moulton and Rachel Ray for healthy, more natural stuff, substituting where necessary!

Happy Eating!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 01-24-2003, 04:37 PM

You could make your own healthy tortilla chips.

I get really good organic tortillas at our grocery store and then spray each side lightly with cooking spray, cut into wedges and then bake in the oven until crisp.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:06 PM

We are having some friends over to watch the Super bowl also. I must tell you that I don't even know who is playing in it!! But it is a tradition to get together and eat every year!! I am making grilled portobello mushrooms and red peppers topped with fresh mozzerella cheese and cut into smaller bite size slices. They had them at costco so I got a good deal on everything. We are also having veggie chili and corn muffins.
PS- I steam dd veggies when we have hummus and give her her own special plate so she won't choke.

User Tag List