Any super easy recipies for beginners? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-25-2003, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone.

I'm learning to cook, and I was wondering if anyone had any SUPER EASY recipies they could share, with not too many ingredients?

We eat both meat dishes and vegetarian dishes, and seafood. Pretty much anything.
#2 of 10 Old 01-25-2003, 03:35 AM

if you have a steamer-i like the ones you can fit into any size pot. Any veggies you have around can be chopped up & steamed, then seasoned however you want. Great for beginners since it's very hard to screw up, & steamed stuff can be a side dish or the main meal.
#3 of 10 Old 01-25-2003, 05:58 AM

I like the Joy of Cooking for the real basics of cooking. It's even got a section on boiling an egg. I know because every time i need to boil an egg i have to look it up. :LOL:LOL Anyways, that book tells how to cook just about anything--how long to boil potatoes, how long to steam carrots, how long to broil a steak, how to bake a squash-- EVERYTHING is in that book. It's even got instructions for more advanced things like making soft cheeses and tofu.
#4 of 10 Old 01-26-2003, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys! I do use an old fashioned steamer sometimes - for carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. I don't know how to use my new one I got as a wedding gift like 6 years ago.

I think I'm going to check out that Joy of Cooking book. Who wrote it? Is that the Julia CHild one?
#5 of 10 Old 01-26-2003, 06:20 PM

My nephew (24) is just learning to cook and he loves "30 minute Meals" by Rachel Ray. She has a cooking show on cable and her main premise is ingredients you usually have on hand, lots of flavor and easy. He also likes "In and Out of the Kitchen in 15 minutes or less". Again, basic easy recipes.

I am a cook book fantatic. My day in/day out fav's are the "Joy of Cooking" Irma Rambaur, "New Basics" Sheila Lukins and Julia Child's "The Way to Cook". These cover all the basics but still have plenty of challenges. The Julia Child one is a series of "master" recipes that can then be added to. For example it's great place to learn how to make simple stocks that can easily be turned into fabulous soups.

For easy quick flavorful meals try stir frying too. The key is to have everything chopped in advance and in equel, bite sized pcs. Get a wok or deep skillet and heat on high, add peanut oil. Heat oil until very hot but not quite smoking. Add fresh chopped ginger and garlic, saute until fragrant about 1 minute, Add chicken/beef/tofu and cook, stirring until almost done. Push meat to the side and add assorted veggies you like. Things like pea pods/peppers/carrots first since they take longer and broccoli/peas/califlower last since they take less time. Continue cooking until veggies are tender but still crisp.At the last minute, push meat back in with the veggies, shake in a flavored soy sauce or stur fry sauce. Serve with steamed rice. Yummy and the combinations are virtually endless!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#6 of 10 Old 01-26-2003, 07:21 PM

Soups! These are super easy and rewarding. I like to make tomatoe based soups - canned sause - and then add veggies, beans, andspice in a variety of ways depending on my mood.

I use about twice the water as tomatoe sauce (so one can of sauce is like 2 1/2 cans of water. Then I add veggies (such as zuchs, corn, carrots, or green beans - whatever I have) and then spices - oregano, basil, garlic, parley, and thyme. I also throw in pasta sometimes - whole wheat is the best.Oh, and lots of salt and pepper!

Very easy!

M

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#7 of 10 Old 01-26-2003, 10:25 PM

This is a desperation dinner idea I got from Dr. Weil.

I like to steam a head of organic broccoli in a bit of water and a dash of olive oil. I also chop up about 5 cloves of garlic and put it in the steaming water.

When its tender, I chop it up and toss it with spaghetti.

You can add some red pepper flakes for adults.

Its really quick, easy and tastes really good for the small effort involved.
#8 of 10 Old 01-27-2003, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
whitefish filets, cod or something like that
cilantro (fresh)
green onion
ginger
soy sauce

You said you have an "old fashioned steamer" you mean the stacking bamboo kind? Cool.
Put the fish on small plates that will fit on your steamer rack with about 1/4 inch around... most bread plates will do.
Loosely chop some of the cilantro, onion and ginger. Also chop a bit more fine.
Sprinkle the loose chopped over the fish.
Steam it, 3-5 minutes, roughly, til it is cooked through.
Wipe off the herbs. (Don't kill yourself being thorough.)
Baste lightly with a small bit of soy sauce.
Sprinkle with the fresh herbs.
Serve with rice and some steamed or stir-fry veggies. If you want to steam your veg in the same steamer as the fish put the fish on the bottom so fish flavored water doesn't drip on your broccoli!
#9 of 10 Old 01-27-2003, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bean burritos

Heat a can of beans (pinto, kidney, black) - optional: heat a little oil in the pan first and add a couple of tablespoons of chopped onion and a chopped garlic clove. You can also add a dash of cumin/chili powder/cayenne.

Heat tortillas on a dry pan (pref. iron - I think this gets too hot for nonstick) or in the oven.

Serve with chopped lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, leftover rice, sour cream, salsa, whatever you like.

We have this at least once a week!

PS There is a book, I think the title is "Cooking Without A Cookbook" which is very good and basic. What we also do when learning a new cuisine, say Chinese, is get a cookbook and make several dishes exactly according to the recipe. Learn the technique and the spices that way, and then go off on your own (substitutions, etc.)

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#10 of 10 Old 01-27-2003, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm going to write these down and look at them next time we go to B&N to hang out (weekly).

You guys are great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page