Need advice cooking for friend - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-26-2003, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My best friend is having a baby in mid feb. I am so excited cuz she lives 4 hours away and I am going up for a week (more or less) to help out. They are moving into a new house 2 weeks before her due date so she needs lots of help with that, the babe, and her other 2 boys!
My question is, she is pretty mainstream and they eat a lot of meat. I cook with some chicken and fish and that is it. I am afraid I won't be able to help her much since I don't know how to cook the way she does. I have some good cookbooks. Should I just follow these? Get her recipes in advance? Do everything but cook? Does anyone have experiece here?
I should mention she developed gall stones during her pg and the operation isn't until April, so she is limited to less than 15-20g of fat per day!
TIA
#2 of 6 Old 01-26-2003, 03:33 AM

I would ask her to send you a couple of her favorite recipes so you get an idea of what they like. Definately do some cooking, and leave the freezer stocked when you come back home.
#3 of 6 Old 01-26-2003, 04:06 PM

Definitely get some of her recipes and make those. I'm vege, too, and I would have no idea how to cook meat, but maybe she can share some of her "easier" recipes for you to cook for them. I'm sure if you're making food her family is familiar with they will appreciate it SO much.

A side note: I'm pg and most of my friends are meat eaters. I know that there will be lots of people willing to bring a meal for my family after my baby arrives, but it's kind of scary when meat eaters try to cook vege. I'll probably end up with a lot of mac and cheese! However, it's the thought that counts.
#4 of 6 Old 01-26-2003, 06:07 PM

We are meat eaters, but chicken is our absolute favorite! I'm betting that they wouldn't mind a week full of chicken as long as someone else is cooking it.:LOL You can substitute pork or turkey fillets also. We eat a lot of those two. Beef is my least favorite meat. Use a few different marinades and you can really change the taste of the meat. One of my favorites is a can of frozen orange juice concentrate mixed with some pineapple juice. It's very zesty.

You could always make meatless chili, or rice dishes or cook asian. I would love to have someone cook some meatless meals for me, as I am clueless what to substitute for meat. You might find that she is very willing to try some of your favorite recipes.
#5 of 6 Old 01-27-2003, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
I think I will ask for some of her fave recipes so I am at least in the ballpark. I plan to leave things pretty well stocked when I leave. I have a copy of the Make-a-Mix cookbook and I will probably follow some of that.
Keep the good ideas coming!
#6 of 6 Old 01-27-2003, 03:01 AM

If a person was gracious (sp) enought to came and cook for my family for a week, I personally wouldnt expect her to cook what we eat. I would be so happy not to have to worry about feeding my family and just concentrate on the new little one.

Your are so sweet to do such a kind gesture to your friend and her family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page