Your Best Asian Food Recipes/Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2003, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love to cook and I make a variety fo things, but I would like to be better at making Asian dishes. We make lots of Indian curry dishes and stir-frys (but they are pretty plan). I love noodle dishes, can make tofu well, etc. What do you combine? What kinds of sauces do you make? I don't even need full recipes (although those are great), I can go with just the ingredients of ideas.

Thanks!

Megan

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 04:40 PM

Hi Megan,

I have found that using recipes has helped me cook better Asian food then when I created things from my head. BUT, I often adapt the recipes quite a bit. Current favorites:

Malay noodles and veggies from Moosewood Cookbook- Soba tossed with seseme oil, tofu (the recipe calls for shrimp), Napa cabbage, pea pods, garlic, onions, and cucumbers.

Japanese pancakes- yummy pancakes full of veggies that are delicious with miso soup. Tasajara bread book and Sundays at Moosewood both have good starter recipes. ( We are having these for dinner tonight)

Lentil Sambar and Vegetable pakoras- Sambar is a stew of veggies (I use cauliflower, sweet potatoes, red pepper, onion) and red lentils, spiced with cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, fenugreek, and a little tamarind. Yummy. Pakoras are veggies in a chickpea flour batter and deep fried.

Thai peanut sauce is excellent on veggies (raw or steamed) or tofu.

Eggplant curries, cauliflower curries, curried chickpeas...coconut milk and basic curry seasonings, onions, garlic, and ginger....

I also make a vegetarian Bibimbap- a Korean dish of rice topped with several veggie salads (cucumber, carrot, bean sprouts, seseme spinach), tempeh and Korean hot bean paste. It is one of our favorite meals.

I'd be happy to pm you some recipes, but most are adapted from books, I don't want to worry about copyright.

-jeanie
Old 01-27-2003, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

These sound great, I'd love to see the recipes!

Yum!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 01-28-2003, 11:28 PM

Our current favorite is red coconut curry-mmmmmm
We get the thai curry paste in a jar and saute it with tons of garlic, ginger and onions then add coconut milk, a tsp of brown sugar and soy sauce (or fish sauce if not veg) and simmer 5 min. or so. Next add whatever veggies are around, then tofu or shrimp- then last, any greens- we use spinach or watercress alot. Oh, and I love to add fresh basil or cilantro too at the end. We serve over jasmine rice or leftover soba noodles. So easy and so so good. The whole thing take less then 30 minutes (except for rice but we have it leftover a lot)
There is a basic recipe on the Thai Kitchen Can of Coconut milk.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:53 AM
Banned

Chicken in butter sauce is fabulous (marinate slashed chicken in yoghurt, various Indian spices and aromatics with fresh ginger, garlic and cumin & some fenugreek predominating; cook chicken in the yoghurt till done; meanwhile reduce chopped tomato (fresh or canned) till thick-ish and combine with garlic and butter and then, when butter is melted, add to cooked chicken and yoghurt mixture, stir and serve over rice). Shrimp in curried coconut milk is wonderful. Start using tamarind paste in sauces for a tangy sweet/sour note. Use more fresh minced ginger. Add lime.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:53 PM

I do a lot of Chinese pan fried noodles. Here's the basic idea which you can vary endlessly.

Buy Chinese wheat noodles (in either thin or medium) and boil according to the package directions, drain and rinse in cold water. Pan fry the noodles in a nonstick frying pan or wok in a few tablespoons of oil until the noodles brown a bit, turning the whole mass as it cooks. Remove to platter.

Stir fry thinly sliced meat of choice (or omit), along with sliced veggies of choice, along with two cloves chopped garlic, and 2-3 tablesp minced fresh ginger. I love fresh ginger, so I use a lot. (It helps to marinate the meat in a little cornstarch and white wine and/or oyster sauce before cooking)

Add sauce made from soy sauce, rice vinegar, a tsp of sugar, white wine and a touch of red chili paste (optional) and simmer for a couple of minutes. Thicken with cornstarch/water slurry. Serve over the fried noodles.

If you can't get the Chinese noodles, you could use spaghetti, but the noodles are great and are very cheap in the Asian market. I buy them in five pound boxes for about $3. I do this with beef, pork, chicken or seafood. I would also guess you could use tofu, although I can't stand it myself. For veggies, I will generally use some combination of onion, bok choy, green or red pepper, shredded carrots, snow peas or broccoli. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Teriyaki sauce is easy to make from soy sauce, sherry or apple juice, garlic, ginger, and sugar or honey. Adjust proportions to taste. I marinate tofu in it, then cook rice and steam veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas are all really good with this) while heating tofu and sauce in a skillet on medium-high heat, stirring frequently until sauce begins to carmelize.

One of our "convenience foods" is tofu that we cut into strips and put in a tub of marinade in the fridge. It lasts for about a week, during which we can just remove some onto a bowl of rice (whenever we cook rice, we make extra to have on hand) and microwave for a quick meal.

Another is rice noodles, available cheap from the Asian store. The basic concept: Season canned broth w/spices and a little sesame or peanut oil, bring to a boil, throw in noodles, stir until they sink down into broth, cover, turn off heat, and let stand a few minutes. Meanwhile, cook veggies and/or tofu or scrambled egg to put on top. Garnish w/chopped nuts or cilantro or basil or daikon pickle. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes to prepare. I usually use shredded cabbage (I buy a head and shred it all and pack it in little bags in the freezer; it thaws fast) and carrot and peanuts, but most variations have been yummy!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 01-31-2003, 12:51 PM

I love fresh spring rolls---DS Jackson 3 years old likes to help too. Rice paper circles- soaked in water- the fill w/ whatever you like. I do fresh basil-grated carrots- thin sliced cucumber,cooked rice noodle- peanut sauce-- shrimp sometimes.....Rolled up and dipped inpeanutsauce or the sweet chilli sauce thai markets sell.I don't do in winter aas it's not warming-- but great for spring or to bring to potluck or party.

Nina Simonds has great book- spoonfull of ginger- lots of yummy recipies there.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elismama

I'd be happy to pm you some recipes, but most are adapted from books, I don't want to worry about copyright.

-jeanie
Just write the recipes out as you have adapted them; then there shouldn't be any concern about copyright. If you have contributed something to the recipe by way of another ingredient, different method of preparation (increase or decrease cooking time, chopping differently), offer a better explanation, etc. then you have "created" a new recipe (even if you were inspired by another).

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:32 AM

Malay noodles
Garnishes:
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced and fried in oil (canola, vege) until browned
1 medium onion, thinly sliced and fried in oil (canola, vege) until browned
2 spring onions halved and cut in ½ inch pieces
lime wedges

Noodles:
1 pound soba or spaghetti cooked according to package and tossed with 1 Tbl toasted sesame oil, covered to keep warm

Veggies:
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ pound shrimp (I use tofu cubes)
¼ head white/Napa cabbage, shredded
2 cups snow peas
½ cup waterchesnuts, sliced
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
tamari to taste
black pepper to taste

In a wok heat oil until very hot. Stir fry the garlic for a few seconds, add shrimp. Stir fry until shrimp are pink, add cabbage, snow peas, water chestnuts and fry for 2 minutes. Add cucumbers and noodles and stir well. Remove from heat, season with tamari and pepper. Sprinkle with garnishes and top with lime wedges.

*** I have used broccoli and carrots instead of snow peas and water chestnuts, red pepper instead of cuke, always yummy

Japanese Pizza or pancakes (Okonomiyaki)

Garnish:
Toast and crumble one piece of Nori

Sauce:
Combine and simmer for 1 minute:
¼ cup catsup
1 ½ Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
¼ tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbl sake (I use wine, I never have sake on hand)
1 tsp tamari

Pancake
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup water 2 Tbl sake
pinch of salt
2 cups shredded cabbage
¼ cup shredded carrot
4 spring onions cut in 1 inch strips
½ cup cooked shrim, cooked crabmeat, or seitan (thinly sliced)

Beat eggs, add flour and water and stir until smooth. Add the sake and salt. Fold in the vegetables.

Heat 1 Tbl of oil in skillet or on griddle. Spoon batter onto hot skillet like a pancake. Sprinkle on some of the shrimp/crabmeat/seitan. Cook each side on medium heat for 2 minutes until browned, lower heat and cook a little longer, flipping occassionally, to ensure they are cooked through.

Serve hot, topped with sauce and sprinkled with nori.

Lentil Sambar

1 cup lentils (red is best)
3 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 small cauliflower, in florets
2 sweet potatoes, chopped in ½ inch pieces
1 red pepper, chopped in ½ inch pieces
2 tsp canola oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cayenne
1 chile minced
1 Tbl tamarind concentrate dissolved in 1 cup hot water (you can find this at an asian market, it is great to have a jar on hand for Indian dishes)
1 tsp salt
3 Tbl minced cilantro

Rinse lentils, place in saucepan with 3 cups water, bring to boil. Simmer for 45 minutes until tender, stirring occassionally.

Warm the oil, saute the mustard, fenugreek, and cumin seeds, shaking pot to prevent burning. When they start to pop, stir in the rest of the spices and the chile, and saute for 2 more minutes. Stir in the tamarind liquid and add the onions, cauliflower and sweet potatoes and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the peppers and cook until veggies are tender. Add the lentils to the mixture. Reheat and stir in the cilantro. Ladle over rice or serve with naan.

Vegetable Pakoras

Batter
¾ cup chick pea flour
1 Tbl ground coriancer seeds
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp whole cumin seeds
pinch of cayenne
2/3 cup warm water
1 tsp oil

Veggies:
An assortment of whole green beans, thickly sliced onion rings, cauliflower florets, broccoli florets works great

Mix up the batter, set aside for 20-30 minutes.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep pan until 375 degrees (hot!). Dip veggies in batter and place in oil, chopsticks work great for this. Fry until golden brown. You will need to do this in batches. Delicious with tamarind sauce.

Tamarind Sauce

4 tsp tamarind concentrate, dissolved in ¾ cup hot water
½ cup raisins
1 Tbl grated ginger
1 Tbl oil
½ tsp cumin seeds, ground
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp fennel seeds
1/8 tsp cardamom
¼ cup water
pinch of salt

In a small pan suate the raisins and ginger in the oil for several minutes. Add the spices and saute for one minute more. Remove from the heat and stir in water. Add tamarind and salt and puree until smooth. Yummy!

Bibimbap
Serve small portions of the following on fresh steamed rice. Top with a fried egg and hot bean paste (found in Asian or Korean markets, ask for the stuff used for bibimbap and mix it with a little water and a little toasted sesame oil). I also fry up tofu or tempeh and serve a portion of this. The idea is to arrange them on the rice, and top with the egg, each person stirs it all together themselves. Very pretty.

Cucumbers
Peel and slice one or two cucumbers. Sprinkle with salt and let sit in a colander for 30 minutes. Place in a bowl and mix in a little chopped garlic, a little sugar, and a little sesame oil, and a pinch of cayenne. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Carrots
Cut matchstick size pieces of carrots. Sprinkle with salt and let sit in a colander for 30 minutes. Place in a bowl and mix in a little chopped garlic and some rice wine vinegar. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

Spinach or Watercress
Lightly steam the greens. Press out any water and stir in toasted sesame oil, a little garlic, and tamari to taste. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

Bean sprouts
Boil bean sprouts (mung) for 7 minutes. Drain and mix with a little toasted sesame oil, garlic, sugar, and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:31 PM

I also make the thai curry/coconut milk stews/sautees. I sautee onion and garlic in a bit of oil and add just a bit of the red curry sauce (I purchased it ready made and it is REALLY hot). To this I add fresh green beans and cooked sweet potatoes and some sliced sweet red peppers and a can of lite coconut milk. I sometimes sautee chicken breast separately and combine. We eat it on brown rice.

The fresh spring rolls are also good. Thanks for reminding me.

Another easy one is to sautee cubes of tofu in oil. Add a bit of indian spice (garam masala sp??). To this I add an indian simmer sauce and some fresh baby greens. We eat this with rice, flour tortillas, condiments such as raisins and nuts and chutney.

User Tag List