Identifying and controlling food allergies and intolerances? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-27-2003, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some advice and wisdom.I am supposed to be identifying and controlling food allergies and intolerances. I have severe pms, mild depression and anxiety and my naturaopath said i needed to weed out some foods and see what bothers me. I am not suffering enough from any of these things enough to get on meds at this point, but they bother me and effect my life on a daily basis.

So where do I start diet wise? WHat do I cut out first? Meat? Dairy? Wheat? Sugar? Caffine?

Anyone know which of these tend to exhasterbate the above conditions?

Any words of wisdom on how to start this process would be great.
Thanks.
Jo
#2 of 5 Old 01-27-2003, 06:32 PM

There's a great book by Dr. Robert O. Young called Sick and Tired. It's really eye opening. it's a hard, clinical, read, though. My husband paraphrased everything for me.

But anyway, this man definitely has some ideas on food allergies. He would suggest eliminating meat, dairy, wheat, corn, soy, mushrooms, and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

Meat and dairy products are full of so many things nowadays. You're getting trace amounts of antibiotics, insecticides, fungicides, pesticides, hormones, and so many other bad things, it's a wonder anyone's body can tolerate those things.

I would also do a search on the internet for Food Allergies and Intolerances. I'll bet there are lots of articles on the subject.

I have also read that if your nose runs at all after you eat, or if your throat becomes kind of mucousy, that it's a sign that something you ate is intolerant to your body.
#3 of 5 Old 01-28-2003, 08:50 PM

Hello,
I am a mother of a one and 1/2 year old boy who has many food allergies. His father is Celiac which means he cannot tolerate gluten, a protein found in wheat, oats, barley, rye, spelt, and kamut. He also has problems with casiene, a protein found in dairy. Soy, eggs, and peanuts are also on the taboo list. What do we eat? Lots of greens, rice, quinoa, seeds, beans, and fish. Non-glutenous grains include millet, quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth.
Reactions to all or any of these allergens can vary, but generally include bloating stomach, flatulance, diarhea, dark circles under eyes, migraines, lethargy, stomach pains, constipation, irritability, mental "fogginess", etc.
The easiest way to test for allergies (Hah! it's never easy!) is to remove a suspected food from your diet until symptoms improve. You may have to remove several foods from your diet to really start to feel better. After you notice an increase in energy and a decrease in the symptoms listed above, slowly reintroduce a suspect food into your diet, one at a time. If you have an immediate reaction to the food, do not eat it for a day or two, then try again. It's a hit or miss technique, but it's the best way to figure it out. recovery is a long process. My husband has been gluten-free for almost two years now, and he is still at sub-optimum level of health. It is also very difficult to get diagnosed because it is relatively unknown in the Americas (though well-known in Europe). There are many resources on the web.
Good luck, and hang in there! So many people would rather ignore their allergies than cut out so many food options. We cannot eat at restaurants due to the likelyhood of contamination. We buy organic and cook all our own meals. It isn't easy, but it's worth it. The alternative is far too unpleasant.
I hope this is useful to you. Feel free to email me any questions. I only have my own experience and research on which to base my opinions, but I'd be happy to help in any way I could.
Peace,
Katie M.
#4 of 5 Old 01-29-2003, 02:24 AM

mamakaty-welcome to the boards. I would love to chat more with you. I have a 4 year old ds who is severely allergic to many things and has several sensitivities. Dh is also celiac. Sounds like we have a few things in common!
As for the finding allergens. It is very effective to keep a food journal. You may think you know what you are eating, but it is really eye opening when you keep a journal. You can start to see patterns and that is valuable information.
There is lots of information on elimination diets. Do a search on just that and you will get far. The least allergenic foods are rice, lamb, and sweet potatoes in the N. American diet. While you are testing, be sure to eat only whole foods. That way you are not mislead by eating something that seems safe while getting contamination from goodness knows where.
There is a lot of support on the web for food allergy survivors. My favorite site is FAST (Food Allergy Survivors Together) There are many very knowledgeable and helpful people on the mailing list.
Best of luck to you!
#5 of 5 Old 02-05-2003, 11:09 AM

Hi RasJane!
It is so nice to meet you! It is reassuring that I am not alone in my struggle with food allergies (not that I wish this ardurous task on anyone else). Thank you for sharing your story and for your excellent advice. I have started a food log. It isn't as difficult as I had previously thought. I hope to get to the bottom of these allergies. Also, it is a great way to keep track that Guthrie (my 16 month-old son) is getting a balanced diet now that is interest in nursing is starting to wean. Are you a stay at home mom? Do you love living in Oregon? My husband and I are considering a move westward (maybe Colorado), but we're not quite sure we want to leave the grandparents behind (in Wisconsin). Anyway, I look forward to our on-line chats!
Peace and Love!
mamakaty

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page