when can he eat beans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-30-2003, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all - I was wondering if anyone knew why my list of "when to feed certain foods" has beans at 18 months. Nothing else I read says to wait that long. Ds just turned 1 year.... I think he'd like soft cooked beans or hummus or whatnot.

Can't get a hold of his dr (who may not even be his dr anymore thanks to an insurance switch) - she is away at a conference for a while.

Hmmmm. Any ideas on why I should wait?

TIA~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-30-2003, 11:58 PM

Is there a history of any allergies in your family (food ones I mean?) If not, why wait? My DS is jus tabout 17months and has been eating whatever we eat for some time, although he only REALLY began eating much the past few months. Due to financial issues, peanut butter is a staple in our house so he eats that (lots of vegheads give almond milk, and other nut bases from early on) and jus ttonight was mucnhing down on rice and beans. Everything in moderation, but why not beans? the yare healthy, nutritious, and YUMMY!

BTW, is your Doctor well versed in nutrition and do you personally keep his/her opinion in high respect? In my experience (and many others here have similar experiences) our kids Docs have no clue about nutrition but act as if they do. I am sure some mamas here will be able to forward you to some great resources on feeding the wee one!
#3 of 10 Old 01-31-2003, 12:26 AM

My ds has been eating beans for quite awhile now - maybe since he was about a year or so? We've never had a problem.

We have no history of food allergies but there is family history of eczema, which is allergy related.
#4 of 10 Old 01-31-2003, 04:36 PM

recommended white beans, chick peas, etc. at 9mos. but recommended I wait awhile longer for black beans, kidney beans, etc.
#5 of 10 Old 01-31-2003, 05:01 PM
Banned

Dd (20 mo) absolutely LOVES beans, and has been eating them since she was about 1 year old. I'm not aware of any issues re beans that would militate in favor of waiting till the child's 18 months old, with the possible exception of choking fears due to bean skins or the beans themselves if the beans aren't pureed.
#6 of 10 Old 01-31-2003, 06:51 PM

my ds (17 mo) loooooves beans! he eats chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, and white beans. oh, and lentils too (not really beans, i know!). when i first started feeding them to him, i would squeeze the bean out of the skin so he wouldn't choke on it. now he just scarfs them down whole. i would start with soft beans like white or black beans. chickpeas can be rather firm, even when cooked, but hummus is a great idea! the more garlic the better for my ds!
#7 of 10 Old 02-16-2003, 02:06 PM

My DS has been eating lentils, white beans , split peas since he was about 9 months. The Super Baby Food book has recipes for grinding beans/lentils into a pwder and cooking them like a poridge. My son loves them and has never had a problems.
#8 of 10 Old 02-16-2003, 02:11 PM

Maybe it is just a chocking thing for the black and pinto etc during that age??? But, don't forget refried beans, sooo yummy and Ds loved them during his mushey food days!!!!! At 2 though and even before he eats/ate all kinds of beans and just loves them!!!!

#9 of 10 Old 02-16-2003, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Children can start beans as early as 9 months. I recommend starting with lentils, split peas, and adzuki beans because they are easiest to digest (they're also nice because they don't require soaking - you can just cook them for 45-60 minutes.) Legumes are a great source of iron especially for veggie kids.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#10 of 10 Old 02-18-2003, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I feel reassured on this one. I have given ds some refried beans and he loves them, so I guess I will start adding beans to his repitoire! Yippee!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page