Mothering Forum banner

No Stir Non PHO Natural Peanut Butter

779 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  HRC121799 
#1 ·
I have been seeing a lot of "natural" PB's lateley, some cert organic), that are no stir. How can they get the oil to stay together without hydrogenating????? Are these okay to eat?

#3 ·
That's what I have been using for years, Marantha (sp?) brand.... but now they stopped carrying it at my fav store (Costco) and they have replaced it with a No-stir organic "natural" PB. It does not list anything hydrogenated...... but *how* can they make it no stir w/o hydrogenating???? I did buy some, and it is a softer consistency than reg hydrogenated PB......

any more thoughts???

TIA!

#4 ·
I bought some of that stuff once, but I don't like my PB to have anything but peanuts (maybe some salt, too) in it. The one I bought had added palm oil & sugar in it. I assumed it was the way it was processed with that extra oil that kept it from separating, but that was just my guess.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson
Hydrogenation is a process of making fats saturated artificially. So, the palm oil, which is highly saturated, is very similar in construction to a PHO (but without the nasty trans fats). It serves the same purpose, emulsifying the peanut butter.
So Palm Oil is a saturated fat???? Is that soemthing that should be avoided? I mean, I wouldn't mix butter with peanut butter for sandwiches... is this essentially the same thing??????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.