Cracker recipe suitable for young toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-30-2003, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd loves crackers but they are getting expensive and I know I can make them lots cheaper. Does anyone have a whole grain o9r multigrain cracker recipe? Preferably vegan and obviously salt free.

Thanks!

thistle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 01-31-2003, 12:00 AM

There are some good cracker recipes in Laurel's Kitchen (vegetarian cookbook).

But Trader Joe's has them really cheap!
#3 of 23 Old 01-31-2003, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

No Trader Joe's here. (I'm in Austin, TX)

I'll check out the Laurel's Kitchen. I asked over on vegsource.com too and I will post if anyone comes up with anything.

thistle
#4 of 23 Old 02-04-2003, 05:47 AM

OK let me know if you want me to post a recipe.
#5 of 23 Old 02-04-2003, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have 6 different easy whole grain cracker recipes in my book "simply natural baby food". Rice-oat, graham, animal, sunflower-oat and zwieback - all designed for infants and toddlers. I would be happy to post one for you - just let me know which ones sounds good. They are all quick and easy to make and very cheap! Crackers are so expensive.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#6 of 23 Old 02-08-2003, 04:00 PM

Cathe, I'd be interested in seeing the sunflower-oat cracker recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for a lentil cracker?
#7 of 23 Old 02-09-2003, 01:20 AM

These are wheat-free and a good source of protein, calcium, iron and essential fatty acids.

1 cup hulled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup water
pinch sea salt, optional

Preheat oven to 300. Oil baking sheet. Grind seeds and oats to powder in food processor or blender. Place mixture in bowl with water and salt. Knead just until mixed. Place dough on prepared baking sheet. Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness. Score into squares and prick dough with fork all over. Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden. Let crackers cool before removing from pan. They harden as they cool.

Taken from Simply Natural Baby Food

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#8 of 23 Old 02-09-2003, 11:35 AM
kmp

Anyone else have any? I'm going to try Cathe's for sure cause I am not so worried about the expense, though that's definitely a factor, but the huge amounts of hydrogenated oils in crackers.
#9 of 23 Old 02-09-2003, 02:27 PM

Thanks Cathe!!

I'm going to try baking those today.
#10 of 23 Old 02-09-2003, 02:53 PM

I agree about he hydrogenated oils which is why I put so many cracker recipes in my book. The sunflowr one has a pretty strong taste that not everyone likes (though we do). Here's another one - one of our favorites. It is suitable for infants as well the rest of the family.

Rice Oat Crackers

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown rice flour (or whole wheat or barley)
pinch sea salt or granulated kelp
1/4 cup canola or safflower oil
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 350. Oil baking sheet. Grind oats to powder in food processor or blender. Mix with flour and salt or kelp. Stir in oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water and knead lightly until combined.

Roll or press dough to 1/8-inch thickness on prepared baking sheet. Score into squares and prick all over with fork. Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. The longer you bake the crispier they'll be. Cool before removing from pan - they harden as they cool.

yield: 3 dozen

Note: This is kind of a basic cracker formula - try different flours like rye etc. for different flavors. Add sesame seeds or other ground nuts or seeds . . . .

#11 of 23 Old 02-11-2003, 02:00 PM

I made the sunflower/oat crackers and DS LOVES THEM!!! They were so easy to make too .

I tried the Rice/Oat crackers, but i changed the recipe to 1c lentil flour (i just ground the lentils in the blender to make a flour) and they didnt really turn out very well--pretty dry and crumbly and it didnt hold together very well. I guess i should have added more liquid? Or maybe cook the lentils first, then make a cracker out of them? Anyways, still looking for a lentil cracker recipe if anyone has one.
#12 of 23 Old 02-11-2003, 07:43 PM

Glad you liked the sunflower crackers. With the lentils, maybe you didn't grind them up fine enough. And maybe you should have extra liquid. You can feel if the dough is holding together before you bake them. Also, maybe soaking the lentils overnight and then grinding in blender might work . . .

I will look thru my cookbooks to see if I find one . . .

#13 of 23 Old 02-12-2003, 03:58 AM
Banned

would the sunflower crackers work just as well with another kind of flour, say barley or rice or quinoa? slightly oat intolerant...
#14 of 23 Old 02-12-2003, 02:06 PM

Sure - you can use whatever flour you like. You may have to adjust the water because the ground oats are probably a bit coarser than milled flour. Just add the water a little at a time until the dough sticks together.

#15 of 23 Old 02-16-2003, 02:37 PM

I would love to have the animal cracker recipe and if you have any fruit cereal bar recipes that would be great!!
Thanks
#16 of 23 Old 02-16-2003, 05:35 PM

Here are the animal crackers from my book:

1/2 cup apple juice
3 tablespoons canola, safflower or other vegetable oil
1 egg or egg replacer equivalent
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
2 cups whole wheat, brown rice, or barley flour

preheat oven to 350. Beat together juice, oil, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients to form a stiff dough. Add additional juice or water if dough is too dry, add flour if too wet.

Roll dough out on floured board to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough with small animal shaped cookie cutters (or just score into squares). Place on unoiled baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

makes 4 dozen.

NCMama - As for fruit cereal bars, I have a granola bar recipe I am working on for my next book. It is not suitable for very young children. Is that what you had in mind or did you want something with prepared cereal?

#17 of 23 Old 02-16-2003, 10:33 PM

Cathe,
The cereal bar that my DS has had used oats and had a fruit filling . Banana and strawberry puree. They were Gerber graduates. I would like to make them home made for the nutritional and economical benefits.
Thanks
#18 of 23 Old 02-19-2003, 12:36 PM

Cool recipes. I've been looking for cracker recipies for eons. I can't wait to try these.
#19 of 23 Old 03-03-2003, 06:30 PM

hi,

I'm looking for a whole wheat cracker recipe with just whole wheat flour, oil (olive?), water (herbs, spices, salt okay too).

thanks!
amy (who isn't good at typing one-handed)
#20 of 23 Old 03-03-2003, 08:12 PM

Okay here's another cracker recipe:

I usually make it with rye to get that rye crisp taste but whole wheat will work fine too.

1 3/4 cup rye or whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup oil

Mix all ingredients together with fork and hands. If too wet and sticky, add flour. If too dry and doesn't hold together, add water. Try not to overwork or it can become tough.

Oil baking sheet. Press or roll dough out on baking sheet to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Score into squares and prick with fork. Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes. Will crisp up as they cool.

#21 of 23 Old 03-03-2003, 08:21 PM

Perfect timing, thank you! (dd is sleeping so I was trying to quickly find something online) What kind of oil should I use? Can I use olive oil? Thanks again!
#22 of 23 Old 03-03-2003, 08:42 PM

I usually use canola oil but I think olive would be fine. Let me know how it works.

#23 of 23 Old 03-05-2003, 03:45 AM

I forgot to add that my rye/whole wheat cracker is yummy with herbs added. I particularly like dill but you could use whatever you like.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page