Spin off: Family of Origin and disturbing food choices - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rye bread with butter and sliced banana!
#62 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 04:32 AM

We regularly ate:

Honey and peanut butter sandwiches
Banana and peanut butter sandwiches
"Fluffer Nutters"- peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on white bread sandwiches
Shredded carrot in an orange-flavored, molded jello
Chocolate ice cream with crumbled pretzels
Mashed potatoes and applesauce
Mashed potatoes and saurkraut
Fried scrapple with maple syrup
"Swiss Sausage"- a boiled hot dog wrapped with a piece of swiss cheese

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#63 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Dove, we never had potaot chips or store bought junk till I was a teen. Then if it came in a box and you could mix it with water, it was good. Sorry, you can only be my long-lost sis if you were born after me. (you probably were!)
oh, man - I feel sorry for you - you've never really hada mustard sandwich until you've had it with Charles Chips brand potato chips on it!!!

Well, I'm getting weirded out - your last post got me to thinkin that we should get some genetic testing done, haha! SOS - yeah - love that stuff. My dad was in the Korean war and he said that was practically all they ate. Don't know why he was so fond of it!
And the soft boiled egg? Over broken up bread? That was every morning of my freakin' life!!!

Seems like there may be a lot of people posting who grew up in the Pennsylvania/Ohio area? I don't know anyone else who eats this stuff!!! (pass the scrapple, please...)

at least my mom never made boiled cow's tongue sandwiches!!! Her dad used to make them for her to take for lunch at school. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
couldn't you just see that clearing out the lunchroom ???
ick.
#64 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 05:15 AM

We had "Special Dinner" You're already hungry right? It's a log of bologna, cut into bite size chunks, along with cut up potatoes and carrots, floating in a stew of tomato soup. Campbells tomato soup to be exact. My mom is a really good cook, I swear! My dad had this growing up from one of his friends mom and I guess he really liked it.

We regularly had fried oatmeal with syrup. Also what was known as Graveyard stew in our house (warm milk and toast! more popular it seems than I thought) Other than that, everything else mentioned sounds alright, I've eaten most of it. Well, not scrapple. I looked that one up. I pass.

mum to a crew...
#65 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My dad used to make us cheese and onion sandwiches, and my grandma made green jello salad all the time.
And yeah, ketchup on scrambled eggs!

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#66 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls
Are you from there originally or did you live there for a while?

My mom lived there for a while and I would go visit her. Its beautiful and everyone is so nice.
#67 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Cream cheese and chopped green olive with pimento sandwiches?
Add a little turkey to that, and you have found my guilty pleasure.

A few I haven't seen mentioned here:
-Sugar and white vinegar on leaf lettuce
-salted apples (just like sprinking salt on a tomato before you eat it)
-The afore-mentioned green jello salad, but with cocktail onions, pineapple and cottage cheese in it :yuck
-cream cheese and jalepeno jam sandwiches
-fresh rhubarb with a little sugar sprinkled on top
-lemons. Just eat 'em like oranges
-roof tiles. No no idea where the name is from. it's just brown sugar anbd peanut butter on saltines
-home made sauerkraut, often fried with spatzle-style potato dumpling thingys and lots of butter. Making sauerkraut is 10 kinds of stink.
-watermelon salad. Watermelon, carrots, cucumbers and whatever else we find in the garden and drizzled with a highly salted vinaigrette.
-pig's weed, beet tops, nasturtiums and various other green things from the garden, sprinkled with vinegar.

I know we eat a lot of other weird things too. Oddly, of all these things, the only one I now refuse to eat is the jello salad.

Wait, i lied. i also won't eat sauerbrauten or bacon fat on toast. The sauerbrauten does smell good, though. Sometimes I steal a potato dumpling out of it.
#68 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 02:25 PM

Things I grew up eating and still eat:

Cold "uncooked" hotdogs
Ketchup on scrambled eggs (I can't eat them any other way)
Ketchup on French Toast
Ketchup on mac 'n cheese (I really don't eat much ketchup I promise!)
Bologna in vinegar (yum yum yum)
Salt on cantaloupe
Leftover ground beef served cold on a sandwhich.

Things I grew up eating and can't handle now:

Curried eggs
Rice cooked with turmeric and raisins (it's bright yellow)
#69 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 02:26 PM

Whenever we would go on a car ride when I was little my mom would take along a pck of hotdogs the really cheap kind and if we said we were hungry she wanted us to eat one raw, she loves them that way.

On Sunday mornings my dad would make breakfast. He would start by taking a skillet and frying a pound of the fattiest bacon ever. Then he would leave all the grease in the pan, a good inch or so and crack eggs in the grease. And when they were just about done instead of flipping them he would take a spoon and pour the grease over the eggs.

My dad's mom always kept a coffee mug on her stove that was filled with white lard bacon fat or fat from frying hamburger. Then when she was making supper she would take a spoon and slather some in a pan. The bottom grease in the can must have been at least a year old.

When my mom made rice for supper she would pour over it cold milk and sprinkle cinnamon on top.

My after school snack was white wonder bread with butter and sugar and folded in half.

Occasionaly I would eat white bread smothered in grape jelly and top it off with a piece of cheese.

I swear for a month in the summer when tomatoes were in season my mom would eat for supper every night sliced tomatoes and cottage cheese.

When my mom made sweet corn she would boil it and then lay it in a cake pan and every few cobs she would stick in a whole stick of butter. The butter would be dripping off the corn as you ate it.

Fried spam sandwiches.

Kraft Mac and Cheese with hotdogs cut up in it.

Take a piece of white bread spread on some tuna and top with cheese and melt in oven.

Tuna Hotdish.

Pot Pies, I always ate the turkey ones.

I once in one day ate an entire box of Little Debbi Oatmeal Cream Cookies. I was running to the bathroom all night.

If I had a queasy stomach my dad would mix up mayo, tobasco sauce, soy sauce, and whatever else he could find and make me drink it so that I could throw up. How thoughtful.

Ground spam and mayo to make a spam spread to put on buns, my grandma's favorite.

Cottage cheese and chunks of pinapple.
#70 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysMama
Mmmmm scrumptious!! I thought my family was the only one who did that!
We COULD be related. My dad's family is in SE Iowa. Any Edwards' running around your family tree, or Eubanks'?

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#71 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 08:48 PM

The most disgusting thing I remember is Argentine matambre-- basically a thin piece of beef rolled around olives, parsley, carrots, spinach, LOTS of pepper, garlic, vinegar... all tied up together and roasted. Then it is sliced like a meatloaf. Yuck, yuck, yuck.
#72 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 09:27 PM

I dunno... sounds kinda good to me... of course, I'm pg... LOTS of things sound good to me that shouldn't

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#73 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 11:21 PM

Fried bologna sandwiches
French fries on any sandwich
Ketchup and macaroni noodles
Spam
Milk and bbq chips

I also always mixed my meat, veggie and mashed potatoes. I pretended it was pizza.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#74 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM

My YiaYia used to make broiled cottage cheese for breakfast. You take a piece of bread put cottage cheese on it and sprinkle with cinnamon. Put in broiler for 2-3 minutes (until it is warm and has a skin on it).

Um, rice & milk. Milk toast when I was sick. And my personal favorite..peanut butter, hershey's sauce and mustard sandwiches...Mmmmmmmm

Oh yeah, fried bologna & ketchup on white bread. Spam & BBQ sauce (make holes in tin and pour in BBQ sauce then bake)

Almost forgot...tomato sandwiches! Yummy yummy yummy. Just thick slice of 'maters on bread with a thick layer of real butter!!!
#75 of 86 Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluey
We regularly had fried oatmeal with syrup. Also what was known as Graveyard stew in our house (warm milk and toast! more popular it seems than I thought) Other than that, everything else mentioned sounds alright, I've eaten most of it. Well, not scrapple. I looked that one up. I pass.
Can you explain the fried oatmeal please?

How about a jam sandwich (white bread, natch), dipped in pancake batter and deep fried?

Rice pudding with jam and milk.
#76 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 AM

I'm kind of surprised that cream of mushroom soup didn't come up more often as I read these.

We had liverwurst a lot, but I really liked it, so that doesn't count.

Sweet and Sour Beef tounge (with raisins :Puke) was definitely my least fave. Blood Sausage (which I somehow avoided ever trying) and Pickled Herring were also on that list.

Also, do Dunkin Doughnuts as a breakfast food count? Cause we got 2 dozen (for a family of 6) every Sunday morning when I was a kid.
#77 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 02:06 AM

Back where I'm from these were favorites:

Anchovy paste with mashed avocado on toast or crackers

and

a fried egg, ketchup, apricot jelly, mustard and mayo sandwich.

#78 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 02:38 AM

we used to get up early on Saturdays to watch cartoons and would help ourselves to raw hotdogs or a couple pieces of bologna. gross.

Here's just a couple I can remmber:
-ketchup on mac 'n cheese (with hotdogs sometimes)
-ketchup on scrambled eggs
-peanut butter and mayo sandwiches
-peanut butter and pickle - I still want these once in a while
-salt 'n vinegar chips on tunafish sandwiches. or forget the bread, just dip the chips in the tuna
-ketchup or dill pickle chips. Drool . . .
-leftover white rice, nuked with margarine and brown sugar
-mac 'n cheese with a can of tuna and cream of mushroom soup mixed in
-oh! one of my favs. toast with peanut butter, sliced bananas and raisins topped with cinnamon and sugar

hm, what else? I'm sure there was more. My brothers used to eat cheese and jam sandwiches. MIL made me eat spam and mac 'n cheese a couple times. I'm trying hard to get over my evil ways, but there are times I still crave a big ol' hotdog with ketchup and relish.

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
#79 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
Can you explain the fried oatmeal please?

Mom would make a large pot of oatmeal for breakfast one day and the next day fry the leftovers. Kind of like oatmeal pancakes I guess. Making myself hungry....

mum to a crew...
#80 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
She needs to try ketchup chips. I've never seen them in the States, but I know Canucks have access to them.
when I was growing up, we could get them from the PX on base. Ruffles brand even. Yummy. Especially with a pepsi chaser...

My own evils:

Pretzels an mayonaise on wheat bread {not real wheat of course, store brand wheat flour bread} & pepsi

The above mentioned heinz 57 chips & pepsi {yes, everything in my early life was chased by Pepsi}

and the all-time most bad-for-me food, vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce covered in microwave popcorn... it was a favorite amongst me and my friends when we were in high school...
#81 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
on sunday nights when "the wonderful world of disney" came on NBC my mama would let me eat cold white rice from lunch with milk and sugar in a bowl like cold cereal. that still sounds appealing to me, but i haven't had it in 30 yrs.

i also had bread and butter and bread and butter and sugar as snacks. had the soft boiled egg over torn toast, too.

my dad used to eat mustard and sardines on saltines so i would, too. bleah!

lots of casseroles with cream of mushroom soup and plenty of jello, though the fancy jello salads were for special occasions like thanksgiving, christmas, church dinners.

my girls love mayonnaise sandwiches, but it's organic omega 3 mayo and whole grain bread. they also love ketchup on their scrambled eggs and i eat em that way now, too. we're outta ketchup right now, too, darnit.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#82 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 07:59 PM

My sister used to dump lots of different kinds of cold cereal into one bowl and eat it with milk.

My mother used to add a little of all the different sodas into one cup (think running the cup down the side of the fountain machine) I think she called it a graveyard.

My sister also liked to eat ready made frosting out of the can on prepackaged graham cracker sticks...
#83 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Red

Uh, dove, my father WAS married three times. And between marriages he drove a truck up and ddown teh eastern seaboard. Do ya know, fer sure, about your parentage???

Dad was in WW2, the Big One. ( I know, I'm the only one who remembers Archie Bunker, but then it's just a private joke.)

Ok, now some of you are naming htings that I consider.....normal! Rice, with milk and sugar? It's like rice pudding for cheaters and I still make it for myself. I never though of it as unusual!

And sardines of saltines, with mustard, or oil, or whatever. I used to eat sardine sandwiches! (we only ate the oily ones!)

Ok, Sweet and Sour Beef tongue? UGH! Even the thought of raisins isn't going to help that one!

New thread....weird things we feed OUR kids. I've thought of a few!
#84 of 86 Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Ok, Sweet and Sour Beef tongue? UGH! Even the thought of raisins isn't going to help that one!
Oh believe me, the raisins only made it worse!
#85 of 86 Old 02-04-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin926
I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs.
I thought I was the only one who did this? I like it on cold mac and cheese too. It used to gross dh out, not he adds it to mac too.

I think my weirdest childhood food maybe bologna and BBQ chip sandwiches, on white bread, with mayo. Yum

We also did hotdog sandwiches, and spam (ok, only at my dad's my mom woulda been horrified). And I'll never forget the stuff my step grandparents used to eat. Pigs feet, pickled herring, head cheese. But the worst was the duck blood soup. We spent a whole day hearing childhood stories of hunting a certain kind of duck and all these icky details. Then at dinner, they said, oh we just use red colored veggies now, we don't make it the original way. No matter how many beets I saw in that bowl, I just just not convinced that it was safe to eat, ewwww.

This thread is bringing back so many memories, maybe I'll go make some cinnamon sugar toast (on white bread of course) for me and my oldest
#86 of 86 Old 02-05-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach

My sister also liked to eat ready made frosting out of the can on prepackaged graham cracker sticks...
DH was reading this thread with me and throwing out things he remembered...this was one of them! along with cream cheese and red onions sliced on rye bread and broiled, and kidney bean and onion salad. oh, and chedder cheese slices on apple pie, and sour cream on apple strudel... not too wierd, just very foreign to me...my mom's idea of an exotic meal was when she would make "mexican" food- plain ground beef, Old El Paso taco shells, chopped tomatoes, lettuce and plain shredded chedder cheese...if she was particularly wild we might have a jar of salsa, like Pace, from the store! I had never had a taste of green chili until I was in college- and I thought all italian food was red sauce of some sort, with meat of some sort, over spaghetti noodles!

for me, i never ate them but i remember a friend from elementary school who always had those vienna sausages in the little cans

-scrambled eggs with ketchup (to this day I really don't like ketchup much)
-sauerkraut and sausage, always served with mashed potatoes, and you use the sauerkraut "juice" to wet down the potatoes
-"runny eggs" at my grammy's for breakfast- super over easy, then sliced into a bunch of little pieces so you could use the whites to sop up the yolks a little- ICK!
-she also had the can of bacon grease (from Louisiana originally! ) above the stove, it was a metal container that had a strainer top to it to get the big chunks out, and then said "GREASE" on the side...mmmmmm bottom layer a year old? I'm betting closer to 5- I know she cleaned it out about 3 times when I was growing up (so, in like 18 YEARS!!! :Puke )

my brother did the mixing drinks thing- went down the line anytime we were at a place that let you fill your own soda cups- it would always end up this odd greeny-brown

i definitely remember funky salads...the jello with cottage cheese, or carrots, or fruit cocktail, where all the fruits have been canned together for so long you can't really tell the peaches from the pears or pineapple- and we all fought over the cherries

cottage cheese, marshmallows and pineapple with whipped cream and coconut- WAY too many textures for me

my other little brother went through a phase of putting italian dressing (the very generic Kraft kind) on EVERYTHING- salads, of course, but also pasta, mashed potatoes, any meats, in his soup, etc

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page