A very silly question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-01-2003, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cook a lot of American recipes that I get off the net (especially for BBQs) and this has been really annoying me.

What is a vidallia onion?

I am in the UK and no-one has ever heard of them. I asked my SIL (who lives in the US) but she doesn't know either.

I have just been substituting shallots, which seems to work quite well but I would love to know what I should be using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-01-2003, 10:30 PM

A vidallia onion is a large, firm, SWEET onion- they are amazing-- shallots don't compare IMO. They are grown in Georgia. No hot flavor as w/ normal onions-- they are superb grilled.
#3 of 11 Old 02-01-2003, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds very yummy. I have never seen them over here (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places). Thanks for replying.
#4 of 11 Old 02-01-2003, 10:37 PM

i am in georgia and i am sick to death of hearing about vidalia onions. some dorky local woman wrote a freakin' children's book about them. it's sooooooo bad. i was embarrassed for her, and embarrassed to have them on display in my store.
#5 of 11 Old 02-01-2003, 10:41 PM

Oh, but they are so good!!! Worthy of a children's book, indeed! HaHA!
We only get them in the market up here certain times of year @ spring/ summer & I love , love seeing them- I buy the BIG box.
#6 of 11 Old 02-01-2003, 11:13 PM

They are a seasonal speciality, and maybe they don't ship out of the U.S. Though I think there are online sites, you can but them from.
#7 of 11 Old 02-01-2003, 11:24 PM

Here in Maryland, we all buy big boxes of them when they are in season and eat them like apples!
#8 of 11 Old 02-02-2003, 01:01 AM

My very favorite onion, they are so yummy!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#9 of 11 Old 02-02-2003, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
a walla walla onion is similar. vidalias can only be grown in vidalia county ga i think. kinda like champagne from the champagne region in france -- another bubbly doesn't get the same name, does it? do you have any sweet onions over your way? another sweet onion would probably be a good subsitute.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#10 of 11 Old 02-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Banned

any mild sweet onion would work. Vidallia's do seem to have a unique taste but it shouldn't change the recipe. Walla Walla's are probably the closest to the taste with the texas sweets when they aren't too big being a good inexpensive substitute (at least in the states). the last couple of yrs have been very small crops because of flooding. I'm hoping the crops do better this yr.
#11 of 11 Old 02-03-2003, 03:56 AM

don't forget the maui onions

you can buy seed from many companies (and someone on gardenweb will happily trade anyone from the uk with chiltern's, for example, hehe)... the spiel is that of course, it is the super-sweet soil (less sulphur? trying to remember) that makes the super-sweet onion, but i'm thinking mostly genetics (& if not, make a raised bed w/ suitable soil & have a go).

btw, in the meantime, i think shallots are a fine sub for 'em, not in the sense of replacing w/ an equivalent substance, but that the flavor of a fine, juicy, thinly sliced big shallot would not ruin say, a summer tomato & homemade mayo on fresh white bread sandwich (the only 'irreplaceable' place to stick a vidalia i can imagine- the classic). anywhere else, why not?

btw, see what chan has to say in the garden section- she'll know her onions

suse

edit: oh crap, someone ask chan- are they short-day or long day? onions are funny about stuff like that, & i forget which all the sweet ones are. oh heck, you may just have to find a pricey greengrocer w/ exotics.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page