what is nutritional yeast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-02-2003, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dh and I were wondering and the health guru at my local coop didn't know...

just curious, as it is such amazing stuff.

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-03-2003, 01:17 PM

Nutritional yeast is a yellow flaky powdery food that is very high in Vitamin B12, so vegans rely on it a lot. Some say it has a nutty or cheesy flavor. I personally am very averse to this food, it does weird things to me, but my hubby and toddler love it.

Nutritional yeast is not to be confused with brewer's yeast or active dry yeast. Very different.
#3 of 7 Old 02-03-2003, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the the answer...

I am very familiar with the nutritional yeast we use it like crazy.

What I am wondering is EXACTLY what it is--- is it a plant --is it the biproduct of some other food.

literally WHAT is it!

blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#4 of 7 Old 02-03-2003, 05:21 PM

I have too much time on my hands this afternoon. :LOL It's a processed yeast.

http://www.redstaryeast.net/sciencefree.html
Quote:
The nutritional "yeast cream" is heated by means of a heat exchanger and held at pasteurization temperatures for a period long enough to kill the yeast. During this holding period, the necessary vitamins are added to met the requirements of the specific type of nutritional yeast produced. The yeast is then drum dried before it is ground and shipped to consumers.
http://www.efn.org/~sundance/NutritionalYeast.html
Quote:
Raised On Molasses
Nutritional yeast is grown on mineral enriched molasses and used as a food supplement. At the end of the growth period, the culture is pasteurized to kill the yeast. You never want to use a live yeast (i.e. baking yeast) as a food supplement because the live yeast continues to grow in the intestine and actually uses up the vitamin B in the body instead of replenishing the supply. (Brewer's yeast is nutritionally the same but as a by-product of the beer-brewing industry it has a characteristic bitter hops flavor.)
#5 of 7 Old 02-03-2003, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS!

Just what I was wondering!

#6 of 7 Old 02-04-2003, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use nutritional yeast flakes a lot. It is a complete protein as well as an excellent source of B vitamins. Add to to sauces to give a cheese taste or to soups to make them a little creamier. A little added to scrambled eggs is good too. It's a good food to eat while you are pregnant to give that little extra protein and vitamins.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2003, 09:33 PM

Hi all,
I was just introduced to nutritional yeast after recently deciding to go vegan. A vegan friend of mine makes a GREAT blend that tastes like italian seasoning! Low-salt, no MSG...

She mixes:

Nutritional yeast ( about 1/2 cup)
Vitamin C crystals (about 2 tbsp).
Oregano (about 2 tbsp)
Garlic powder (about 1 tbsp).

I'm not sure of her exact specifications (I guessed). I have a shaker on our kitchen table and it's great! I think it tastes something like parmesan cheese independently and the mixture tastes like italian seasoning. You could customize this too and add your own spices. I also tried a shaker with the yeast, lemon pepper seasoning (about half the sodium of table salt), oregano and paprika! YUM, YUM!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page