Vitamix - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-03-2003, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a Vitamix? Is it worth the [GASP] $400 they charge for it?

A neighbor loaned me her juicer and I am enjoying fresh carrot/beet/ginger juice everyday. I was thinking a Vitamix was the way to go, until I saw the price.

I want to use it for making smoothies, faux ice cream, and juice. But it will probably take me two years to save up for it... is it worth it?

thanks,
jeanie
#2 of 13 Old 02-03-2003, 01:16 PM

I've had a vitamix for about 8 years now, and it's the best investment me and hubby made. We use it at least 3-4 times a week to make fruit smoothies, ice cream, salad dressings, cashew whipped cream, pie fillings, cole slaw in 3 seconds flat, sorbets, hummus, dips, etc.

It's the only machine that has a permanent place on the counter like the toaster.

If you go to this link, you can use my affiliate code to get free shipping. http://www.vegfamily.com/vitamix.htm

It's a really sturdy piece of equipment too, will last you years! Ours is 8 years old and still going strong even with all that use.
#3 of 13 Old 02-07-2003, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Erin,

I am still contemplating this. But if I buy, I will definately use your link!

-jeanie
#4 of 13 Old 02-07-2003, 10:35 PM

Also just so you know, you can buy a reconditioned model for a little less money, and you still get the warranty and the free shipping.
#5 of 13 Old 02-12-2003, 04:41 PM

My only complaint with my Vitamix is that you cannot make "juice" -- just smoothies & thicker beverages. I LOVE carrot juice and am thinking of getting a separate juicer so I can make juices.
#6 of 13 Old 02-12-2003, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

hmmmm.... that's interesting. I want to buy it so I can make carrot/beet juice. So what happens when you put a carrot in it boo'smama?
#7 of 13 Old 02-12-2003, 05:10 PM

Well ... if you run it long enough you get "carrot mush". My horse loves it! I however, find it too thick to drink.
#8 of 13 Old 02-12-2003, 09:15 PM

Yeah, the vitamix doesn't work as a juicer, per se. It makes great fruit smoothies, though.
#9 of 13 Old 02-14-2003, 01:47 AM

Don't forget to check on e-bay. I saw nice ones there going for under $200.
#10 of 13 Old 02-22-2003, 01:13 AM

Although it doesn't really make carrot juice, too gritty with all the pulp, if you puree it with other liquid, it makes a wonderful soup base. Also, you can make fresh nut butters, gind your own grains & beans into fresh flour, knead bread....It's well worth the cost, even new, but you can probably get it cheaper on ebay.

Nice thing about it is no wasted pulp, everything just gets pureed, which reminds me, it's great for making your own baby food! You might want a pulp-separating juicer for carrots, tho.

They have a number of free recipes on their site, to give you an idea of what you can use it for http://www.vitamix.com/household/recipes/index.cfm
#11 of 13 Old 02-22-2003, 07:02 PM

It seems like all the stuff you are saying, I can do with my osterizer blender that was much cheaper. Do you find it does things that a regular "good" blender can't?

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#12 of 13 Old 02-22-2003, 11:50 PM

yeah, it can puree things like carrots & potatoes even when raw, & it can grind grains, beans & nuts. some blenders might manage some of this, but the blade would go dull real quick, plus you can make ice cream, this gets too thick for a regular blender & it doesn't blend fast enough to do more than a smoothie-type consistancy.
#13 of 13 Old 02-22-2003, 11:57 PM

For me, being able to make soft serve ice cream in about a minute is extraordinary. I know I would never bother to try to make ice cream if I didn't have a Vitamix.

You can also make fresh soups that the Vitamix will heat for you.

If anyone wants to get free shipping on their Vitamix, you can all use my affiliate code. Just enter ITEPA02 in the coupon area.

This works for used and new machines.

Also for a more detailed explanation of how we use our vitamix... go to http://www.vegfamily.com/vitamix.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page