Anyone make Ghee- questions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-03-2003, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made my own Ghee this morning. How long can you keep it? I assume you need to refridgerate it?? Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 02-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Banned

Good question! I've always immediately used the ghee I make, so I don't know; however, I do believe that by removing the milk solids, ghee becomes quite long-lived. I'd store it in a clean, sealed container in the fridge, and test it prior to using it each time. If it's rancid, it should be easy to tell.
#3 of 9 Old 02-03-2003, 07:06 PM

It's never gone bad just sitting in our pantry. It's like an oil, really and we go through it pretty quickly. We buy a quart jar every 2-3 months or so.

I think I'll buy an oil can for it, since I don't like how it spills all over the place.
#4 of 9 Old 02-03-2003, 07:32 PM

I make ghee pretty often, and don't refrigerate it unless the weather is very hot or we're going away for a week or so. We go through it really fast, though, so that's probably part of the reason it's never gone rancid. You could also keep out a small amount and refrigerate the rest-so much easier to spread at room temp.
#5 of 9 Old 02-27-2003, 02:00 PM

Hey Carminex! We've missed you over at the NJAP list! Hope you are doing well.
Anyway, I used to make my own ghee all the time. I think the reason Ghee was originally made in India is because it doesn't need to be refridgerated. But it's tricky - if you don't boil it long enough, it can get rancid, too long and it will burn.

I always cooked it over the lowest heat possible until the hissing and popping stopped... and then watched it closely until it just started to turn brown - then took it off the heat.

Email me if you need more specific details...
#6 of 9 Old 02-27-2003, 05:31 PM

I gotta ask: "What is ghee, what do you do with it, and how do you pronounce the name?" Help......

#7 of 9 Old 02-27-2003, 05:44 PM

I believe ghee and clarified butter are the same thing. I have always heard it pronouced "gee" with a hard g sound. Basically, you heat butter up and a bunch of milk solids will come to the top forming a "scum". You scrape that off, and then pour off the clear butter leaving the other solids that have sunk to the bottom. Basically, you get an oil out of it with a butter flavor. Butter goes rancid at room temp very quicky. It also allows you to cook with it at higher temperatures than solid butter, which will smoke and scorch.

HTHs!

Emily
#8 of 9 Old 02-27-2003, 08:46 PM

That certainly does help ! But what does one do with ghee once they have it? Or what are the optimal uses for it?
#9 of 9 Old 02-28-2003, 12:31 PM

"Fast and Easy Indian Cooking" or similar title? Anyway, mostly we fry some spices in it to release their flavor, and then add the rest of our ingredients.

Cynthia Lair's "Feeding the Whole Family" has some recipes that ghee would be good in.

My DH adds it to hot cereal and uses it for frying / sauteing in place of oil. Basically whererever you would use cooking oil or a tad of butter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page