Breadmakers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-03-2003, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking about getting one and wondering if anyone has advice on brands..

I was thinking of maybe looking on ebay for one - good brand but decent price.. I'm sure there are people that used on a few times and want to get rid of theirs.

so any suggestions on brands, and what I should expect to pay for a decent one.

thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-04-2003, 12:32 AM

Dh got a 'Breadman Ultimate' for christmas this year. I really like it, but have not tried any other brands so I can't compare. We make about 2 to 3 loafs a week. I like that it makes normal loafs instead of weird shaped ones. I also allows you to make 3 different size loafs and has an auto 'extras' adder. We paid $99 new for it (with free shipping). We did spend on the high end, but as we now make all of our own bread, we wanted one that would hold up. (but we haven't put that to the test yet) It also came highly recommended by consumer reports.

Hope that helps.

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#3 of 5 Old 02-04-2003, 11:01 AM

I just got a sunbeam 1.5lb loaf breadmaker and love it. Money is a great concern, so I did research on eopinions.com and found that most people liked the Sunbeam one from Walmart (I b ought it for $40), so that's what I got. If you get one, I would suggest running it a few times without the bread in it to burn off whatever coating they put in it. Mine smoked like crazy for 5 runs, now its fine.

Some things to look for:
Loaf size! They can come in size up to a 2lbs loaf size. I would get either a 1.5lbs or a 2 lbs loaf size machine.

Some can make jam!

I would get one with the most programmable settings. Mine has 11 settings.

I love mine, and my daughter loves the raisin bread I make, and it saves money! At sams you can get a bread mix variety pack for just dollars, or you can make your own.

I'm still trying to make a homemade bread from scratch that doesn't use eggs or milk and isn't like a brick
#4 of 5 Old 02-04-2003, 11:36 AM

Hey Amandas mom, or anybody else with a Sunbeam:

I got this last week for my birthday--- and the wheat setting doesn't work! Does anybody else have this problem? Or is it supposed to just sit there for a while (which I highly doubt)???!

Mel
#5 of 5 Old 02-04-2003, 11:42 AM

Yes, its supposed to sit for 20 mins first on wheat setting. It says in the book that came with it that the first 20 mins is to let the grain soften up so it will mix better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page