Foodsaver - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-08-2003, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried one of these? We recently purchased a freezer and before we start stockpiling food, have considered getting one. Do they really work to prevent freezer burn and the like?

Thanks!

Mel
#2 of 17 Old 02-12-2003, 11:48 AM

I'm on a list for people who cook and freeze batches of meals. Many of the people on the list swear by the foodsavers. I don't have one myself. From what I understand, the bags that you have to buy to use with them are fairly expensive.

Frost free freezers (the kind I have) are supposedly worse on freezer burn than the manual defrost types. I don't find that I have too much freezer burn on cooked meals. I usually put meats that I plan on freezing uncooked in a ziplock freezer bag (in their original packaging) and suck out any extra air and have pretty good luck.

I do get freezer burn on things like bread if I try to keep them more than about a month.
#3 of 17 Old 02-12-2003, 12:31 PM

I LOVE mine and don't know what I would do without it! I have an extra freezer and am a big believer it cooking big and freezing especially since I am a WOHM. It's great to come home to ready made meals! You can even "boil" in the bag so it works great for reheating frozen soups and stews.

Yes the bags are pricey but what most people don't realize is that they are re-usable. I got mine 2 christmas's ago. It came with pre-made bags and a roll to make your on sizes. I bought an extra roll of the large ones you makes your self at the same time and I am still have plenty left. You just wash and dry them out.

I figure that this thing paid for itself in the first six months because I now buy "family" packs of meats, fish, cheese etc. I can just break them apart into smaller servings and freeze them.

OK I just realized I sound like an info-mercial!! I'll shut up now!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#4 of 17 Old 02-12-2003, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That's what I wanted to hear.
#5 of 17 Old 02-13-2003, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I love mine, too! And I think it was only $140 or so at Sam's club. Came w/ several rolls of bags and a jar-sealer thingie. Saves us alot during the summer when we garden.
#6 of 17 Old 02-13-2003, 01:21 PM

I love mine, too. Not just for freezing. You can reseal snack bags. You can use the jar attachment to save leftovers. The canisters work well. The bottle topper is great for that half-bottle of wine.

If you're shopping, check ebay. I got the FoodSaver Professional II model for $130 brand new. There were a ton of them on Ebay. They go for $320 otherwise.

I don't use too many bags, and I reuse them as long as possible, but when I need them, I buy them at Costco.

The other day organic bananas were on sale, so I bought several pounds, cut them into chunks, froze them, then sealed them in bags for future smoothies. I make a double batch of cookie dough, scoop it into spoonfuls, freeze them, then seal them -- that way I can bake just as many as I need , instead of a whole batch. Especially handy when you get a last-minute invitation somewhere and you don't want to show up empty-handed!

We make a triple-batch of homemade pasta, let the noodles dry a little, then twist them into nests, freeze, and seal.

I reseal cereal and cracker bags after each use with the manual seal button (doesn't vacuum, just seals).

My list goes on and on! It has definitely paid for itself!
#7 of 17 Old 02-14-2003, 02:31 PM

My mom has a huge garden every year and they put away alot of produce, pies, fruit etc. It is so much better than anything you can buy at the store and she just reuses the bags until she can't anymore.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#8 of 17 Old 02-14-2003, 09:33 PM

Ok, I've decided that this will be my next major purchase. However, I'm having problems deciding on which 2 to get. The first one can seal jars and such, the other one can't. I can't think of a single thing I would need to seal a jar for.

Option 1 is http://www.qvc.com/scripts/reference...04&item=K97059

Option 2 is http://www.qvc.com/scripts/reference...04&item=K89584

Which one would you experienced Foodsaver users buy and why?

Thanks!
#9 of 17 Old 02-14-2003, 10:50 PM

I'd get the best one you can afford. I use the features of the high end model all the time, so I'd be lost without them.

The bottle stoppers are great for keeping a partial bottle of wine or oils fresh. The universal lid is great if you use half a jar of marinara or if you just toss some leftovers (soup, veggies, etc.) in a mason jar to keep them fresh a few extra days.

So, I'm voting for the one that lets you use attachments.
#10 of 17 Old 02-15-2003, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoHappy
I'd get the best one you can afford. I use the features of the high end model all the time, so I'd be lost without them.

So, I'm voting for the one that lets you use attachments.
I agree. I use all my attachments as well. You'll be suprised by creative things you will come up with. I use the jar to make super quick marinated olives. Add oil, rosemary, pepper corns etc and the olives. Vacu-seal and within an hour the olives are fully marinated. Something to do with the air being removed. The univeral lid is great too. I buy the really big jars of sauce (cheaper) and then seal off what I don't use. It lasts weeks longer in the fridge.

#11 of 17 Old 02-15-2003, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We use the jar sealer a LOT, more than the bag sealer part. You can store so much more with mason jars and the jar attachment. Coffee beans, crackers, chips, cereals, chili, pasta sauce, raisins, brown sugar. It is much more economical to use jars, since you can wash them out and reuse them much easier than the bags. And with the bags, eventually you HAVE to buy more because you cut them each time you open them.

It's DEFINITELY worth the extra for the jar sealer.
#12 of 17 Old 02-15-2003, 07:06 PM

I also have a question: Do you use a jar sealer the same way as a pressure-canner? Can the jars be stored in the cupboard like the ones a pressure canner cans? I REALLY want a foodsaver. Anybody know anything about the one on the latest infomercial?
#13 of 17 Old 02-15-2003, 08:39 PM

How is it for storing fresh fruits and vegetables? I buy 95% of all my food at Sam's, so I get huge bags of carrots, apples and the like. Would it help to make them last longer?
#14 of 17 Old 02-16-2003, 01:12 PM

The jar sealer does not work like canning. Any perishable items still need to be refrigerated.

Regarding produce I don't think it will work very well because doesn't most produce still need some kind of moisture?? Which is why there are now moisture controls on most fridge drawers and/or they reccomend sealing veggies in perforated bags? In any event- any soft produce would be squished if used the vacu-seal function and just sealed the same as ziplock bag if you just used the seal function. I find most fruits don't need to be bagged at all. Apples and the like are best stored in a cool dark place. I find my carrots gets slimy if I leave them in a bag, I usually just wrap them in a towel and leave in the fridge.

I wouldn't let this stop you from getting the vacu-sealer tho. It has been invaulable to me above and beyond basic food storage for things like flour, sugar (especially brown it never hardens!). It also great for storing freshly polished silver (won't tarnish), for sealing up matches, etc (for camping/hiking trips) or stroing valuable photos and papers.

#15 of 17 Old 02-16-2003, 01:30 PM

I finally did it, I bought a Foodsaver! I lucked out, QVC has a 1 day only Special Value Sale on a Foodsaver One Touch fully automatic with all the attachments in your choice of black or white for $118.00. So I bought it at like 1am this morning, 2 day shipping was only $4 more so I got that too. If you want to buy one, go to www.qvc.com and click on Today's Special Value, it might still be there.

I can't wait for it to arrive!
#16 of 17 Old 02-16-2003, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I got it too! Thanks AmandasMom
#17 of 17 Old 02-16-2003, 02:27 PM

I used my foodsaver all though my pregnncy. I just kept cooking and freezing 'cause I knew I wouldn't be cooking for a while after delivery, and vegan takeout is few and far between here in Pittsburgh. My husband thought I was going overboard but after the baby came he realized I could have made twice as much and it wouldn't have been too much!

The bags are recyclable as well as reusable.

If you can, get one where you can seal with only a partial vacuum. With mine, you can only seal with none or total. In between would be nice for baked goods where you want most of the air out but don't want it totally sqaushed.

Jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page