making fruit teas??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2003, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone make fruit teas? Would you just pour boiling water over the fruit and steep or would you need dried fruit?? How long would you steep it?? Thanks in advance for info ~ I'm, again, quitting coffee (only decaf this time so not quite as hard, but still) and want to go back to drinking teas in the morning, but I'd like some fruity teas and I can only find one organic option at our health food store so, any help would be appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2003, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

So no one does this ~ or maybe that one person that does didn't see this post yet ~ So ~ we'll just have to bump it up!!!!

Old 02-16-2003, 01:12 AM

here's some recipes:

8 tea bags (your choice, Celestial Seasonings are nice)
4 cups boiling water

steep tea in water, remove tea bags

add 4 cups apple juice (other juice can be used)

Another way to make fruit flavored teas without fruit is to make regular ice tea and then add Torani syrups. they are usually sold where the coffee items are. They have a lot of flavors. Our favorites are peach and raspberry, almond is really nice too.

If you can find dried hibiscus flowers ( I find it at the health food store) it makes a really great fruity tea.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Arduinna Do you know anything about making teas with real fruit though, is it poossible????? or would it turn out tasting totally funky??? Maybe I should just try it and see??? I use hibiscus, but I really want a cup of peach tea, see I bought the sampler pack of Celestial Seasonings when my mom was here (she's an david tea drinker) and I just loved their peach tea, but, it isn't organic and has "natural flavorings" in it??? I'd really like to just be able to make a cup of organic peach tea, and i don't know weather I should try to dry peaches or just put some of my frozen (no fresh here this time of year!!) organic peaches in or not??? I guess even if I wanted to dry the peaches I'd have to wait until fresh ones were available anyway???? Maybe I'll just pick up some peach juice in the mean time to add to my morning red rasberry leaf and nettles tea??
Thanks again for the ideas, and thanks for reading my ramblings!!!!!

Old 02-16-2003, 02:27 PM

I've never used dried fruit to get the fruit flavorings. Although I do think that CS uses some dried fruit in their teas?? I think I remember seeing them listed on the label? I usually just use juice to get the fruity flavor.

If you figure out something yummy, please post it :-)
Old 02-16-2003, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that and a tea that I just picked up from The Republic of Tea uses dried orange peels (The tea is organic but I don't really like it all that much, maybe cause I'm just craving that peach tea!!), so I thought maybe that would work??? I think I'm going for fresh first. I remember my friend saying she made an apple tea that way for her son (fresh apples steeped in the hot water, not sure how long though, I need to call her anyway though so maybe I'll remember to ask???!!!) when he had some type of respiratory illness and he really liked it, and it helped too (can't remember with what though???) so I'll experiment and let ya know!!!!!! Thanks again for all your help!!!!

Old 02-16-2003, 03:32 PM

My favorite place to buy tea has a selection of fruit teas. You can buy samples till you find what you like. I love their tea because it doesn't taste dusty like the tea found at most grocery stores. I think they are called Melange. They had a sweet cranberry one for the holidays, I wish I would have bought ALOT of it as it made the best iced tea. They also have Rooibos tea which is caffeine free and has many good things in it for us. The flavored varietys like Macadamia Rooibos and the Chocolate mint Rooibos I think are very yummy.
www.speacialteas.com
Old 02-16-2003, 03:34 PM

I LOVE Republic of Teas' ginger peach!!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

So I tried making my tea with some frozen peaches and peach juice thrown in, but it still wasn't what I'm looking for: Guess its back to the drawing board!!!
momtol&a, are any of the teas you mention organic??? They sound really yummy!!!!!!
Arduinna, is the ginger peach really gingery (I don't really care for ginger in large doses!!)?? I was thinking maybe I should go onto their website and check out their selection.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:54 PM

I'm never disappointed when I brew organic green tea and toss a splash of organic juice in it. I don't know if the decaf green tea tastes as good, though.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:58 PM

My family loves fruit teas by the gallon. I throw four bags into a gallon tea dispensor, fill it with filtered water, and let it steep in the fridge. We don't drink much juice or soda. This is my dss drink of choice.

PS- Mint and green tea combos are also really good. We especially like the mint tea during the hot summer months.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:12 AM

I just bought some wonderful fruit tea at the local farmers market, and the ingredients were hibiscus, raisins, dried orange peel, and some other dried fruits.

You might want to try hibiscus, raisins, and dried peaches to make your tea. Maybe even a little raspberry leaf to cut the tartness of the hibiscus?
Old 02-22-2003, 04:22 AM

The ginger peach from Republic of tea is not very gingery at all. I don't even notice the genger, although I do drink the tea when I have an upset stomach and it helps even with the ginger not strong.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas everyone!!!!
SoHappy, what kinds of juices do you use that come through the tea well (I've tried apple and peach so far and I can't really taste them through the tea (I'm making redrasberry and nettles as the base for the tea))??
Leigh, are any of the bag teas you use organic? I've tried to find some around here and just can't seem to. I was thinking maybe if you had a good source that maybe I'd find them on the net??
naotalba, sounds like great tea that you found!! Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of hibiscus, leaves a funny taste in my mouth and seems to leave the tea sort of chalky (for lack of a better work) I think I'll try adding some rasins though and maybe I'll dry some of my own orange and lemon peels and see how that goes!!
Arduinna, I saw the ginger peach yesterday at the store and was thinking of getting it, but it isn't organic, and my whole effort here is to drink the redrasberry and nettles daily to get ready to try for baby #2 in a month or so, and I really want to stick with organic...I still need to go to their website though, cause they make some great teas and maybe the offer more organic ones on their website, one of my favorites is the alpine herbs (something like that, has rose hips, some other kind of berries, I want to say wild blueberries, but not sure, haven't had it in a long time, but I saw it yesterday at the store too, and almost got it but it also wasn't organic )
Thanks again!!!!!! I really appreciate everyone sharing their ideas (and their favorite teas in general!!!!!), if anyone has anymore lets keep em comin'!!!!!!! My next try is to put some fresh peaches in but let it steep for a couple of hours, and I'm also going to try looking at the other dried fruits at the store and see what i can come up with. Never know what you can get if you don't try right???!!!!!

Old 02-23-2003, 04:39 PM

pottermama,

I'm sorry but I dont know if any of Special Teas teas are organic.

Have you tried Azure Farm, they have alot of organic stuff.

User Tag List