Flax Seed Oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-13-2003, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to add this to ds's food, but every time I feed him it seems like it's something that I can't add it to (blueberries or chicken, for example). What do you put it on/in? The only success I've had is tossing it with pasta and parmesan cheese, but I can only feed him this so often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-13-2003, 02:56 PM

Ds has been eating flax oil pretty much since he began eating, I'd just mix it in with his mashed up veggies or in his grain cereal. Now we have it in smoothies for the most part, but oatmeal works too. I've even just put it in his soy milk and he enjoys that, but you have to keep shaking it up since it is oil it never really mixes up in the soy milk, but Ds thinks it is pretty fun to shake it up anyway (in a sippy cup of course!!!). Now, ds has never minded the taste of it though, I've heard that some people think it is awful and can taste it in anything it is in???

#3 of 5 Old 02-13-2003, 05:25 PM

I add it either to dd's smoothies or almond milk (home-made). They need only 1/2-1 Tbsp a day, so it's easy to just choose one food item, and add it at one go, and be done with it for the day!
#4 of 5 Old 02-15-2003, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Flax oil is good on toast or veggies instead of butter, mixed in rice or pasta.

Also, how about using flax seeds. They stay fresh so much longer (flax oil goes rancid very quickly). I keep a coffee grinder or seed grinder on my counter. Every morning I grind up flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and almonds to powder and add it to hot or cold cereal, or sprinkle it over yogurt and fruit. Much cheaper too!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#5 of 5 Old 02-15-2003, 10:16 PM

About smoothies...that's the way we get our flax oil. But a friend of mine has children who love strawberries and she just puts flax seeds in with strawberry smoothies...with all the strawberry seeds, you can't tell.

I wish my kids liked strawberries : Though, with the price of organic strawberries, maybe that's a blessing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page