Freezing Meals?/Crock Pot Meal Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2006, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was hoping to start preparing and freezing meals for after DS is born. Any suggestions? We eat chicken and dairy, but prefer veg (dairy ok). How long does food keep in the freezer? I was going to start preparing the food about a month before my due date.

Also, any crock pot ideas? I have one, but have no idea how to use or it or what to cook in it.

TIA!

ETA: I have a food sealer and can use that to keep the food fresher. I'm not sure if this helps. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Many of your regular recipes should freeze well. If it has beans or pasta in it in, cook it until it is 3/4 done, if you cook it all the way and then freeze, it can turn mushy. I freeze food all the time, I find it very easy to make a double or triple batch of something, one batch to eat right away and freeze the rest. When I make pizza dough or pie crust, I'll make several more to freeze and pull out when I need them. I keep a well stocked freezer, it's great to have quick meals on hand when the family is fighting a bug, busy...

I use my crockpot all the time, they are a mom's best friend. I have adjusted many of my regular recipes to go in the crockpot. I cook all my soups in there, beans, oatmeal, meats for tacos, sandwiches, even cornish hens (they are soo easy to cook in a crockpot).

I'm sure some others will pop in with recipes, I'm off to bed.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM

I like the cookbook "Fix It and Forget It" - Lots of great recipies. As for freezing meals, here's my new trick (maybe not a new idea to some - but for me it was) when it comes to chicken dishes: I cut up the raw chicken as I want it for the future meal and then put it in a freezer ziploc with the marinade/sauce I'll be cooking it in. Pop it in the freezer and just put it in the fridge the day before you want it. I do this with chicken curry and chicken teriyaki. I also do beef, but you mentioned you don't eat beef. Soups usually freeze well also, so when I make them I do a big pot and freeze most of it for later. Combining the crock pot with freezing works well too - some recipies are for 8-10 servings, so if you do a rice or lentil dish you could make the full recipe and just freeze half of it - it you're not serving a crowd. Happy Cooking!

chicken3.gif Christian SAHM to DS 3/04, DS 1/06, and DD 1/09 and expecting a new little one in May 2012 selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif 

Old 03-09-2006, 08:46 PM

There's a great crockpot thread in this forum - if you do a seach you'll find it (I'd post it but I'm on my way out). It just needs to be bumped up!
Old 03-10-2006, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. I'll search for the crcopot thread. I'm off to find recipes and plan some meals to freeze and some to cook in a crockpot.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:38 AM

Sauces freeze really well, especially tomato marinara. When ever I sauce I make a whole crockpot full, even though it's just the three of us. I freeze the rest in smaller containers. Then when I have a night where there is little time for making dinner, I boil some pasta, microwave the sauce and if my family is lucky I make a salad.
The internet is full of great recepies for crockpots or freezing, just do google searches to find sights. I may never buy a cookbook again.

User Tag List