Seaweed for babies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-09-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone once suggested to me that babies enjoy eating sheets of dried seaweed, like the stuff that you rehydrate to make sushi. My baby loves paper, so I think she'd really like having something thin and crinkly to play with and eat. I know that seaweed is healthy, but does it have anything in it that is not good for babies? My dd is still close to exclusively breastfed. She eats about 3 ounces of food per day, and only fruit and a tiny bit of veggies.

Thoughts?

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#2 of 6 Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 PM

I have no idea whether there is anything in the seaweed that a baby shouldn't have, but I would be a little leery about choking. My chihuahua really likes Nori, and has gotten it stuck in her throat before, since it is thin and papery when she bites it off, but soft and expanded and gummy by the time you swallow it. And it is really tricky to get it to go down/come back up once she has some stuck in her throat. I know a baby is a whole different matter , but I'd still be worried about choking.
#3 of 6 Old 03-09-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes! Thanks for posting that. I've never had Nori myself, so I didn't realize that it would get like that. Now that you've said it, though, it makes sense.

Oh well, it was a nice idea, but I don't want to risk choking. Your chihuahua is almost certainly a more expert eater than my daughter is.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#4 of 6 Old 03-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Your chihuahua is almost certainly a more expert eater than my daughter is.
Oh, I don't know about that. We always say we love her for her looks, not her brains.

That said, I let my almost 2 year old nibble on it, but I make sure they are small pieces and I watch very carefully.
#5 of 6 Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 PM

I agree with the PP. I would be very leary giving a baby seaweed because of the choking hazard.
#6 of 6 Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 PM

also the long chain "something" (i forgot think saccarides) are kinda hard to break down, so long cooking is suggested so that it is more digestable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page