Cream of Mushroom Substitute - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2003, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am looking for a healthy alternative to Cream of Mushroom condensced soup.

I have some casserole recipes that call for COM and I really loves these recipes because they freeze well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2003, 03:20 PM

Cream of Something Soup

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

3/4 cups cornstarch

1/4 cup chicken boullion granules

2 TBSP dry onion flakes

1 tsp each basil and garlic powder

1/2 tsp pepper

2 Tbsp dry celery flakes

This is a convenient mix for making the equivalent of a can of cream of celery, mushroom or chicken soup, which so many recipes call for. To make the mix, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix them up distributing everything evenly. Store the mixture in a quart size container, well sealed. It will keep for several months.

To cook: Combine 1/3 cup mix and 1-1/4 cups cool tap water in a small saucepan. Stir it well and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Boil and stir for a full minute. Remove from heat. It is now ready to use in any recipe calling for a can of cream of mushroom, celery or chicken soup. I tested all of the casseroles in my cookbook with this recipe and it worked perfectly without exception.

You can also make this in the microwave, in which case, reduce the liquid to 1 cup, because none will evaporate during the cooking process.

An additional benefit to this recipe, it contains no added fat. If you wanted to, you could add a tablespoon of margarine or bacon grease for more flavor, but it really doesn't need it.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:28 PM

I think Imagine soups makes one. My son loves their tomato and I thought the last time I bought some they had it there. I don't think it would be all thick liked the can stuff though. But, it is non-dairy.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

Old 02-14-2003, 03:32 PM

I thought I should mention... when I made it I used vegetarian "chicken" soup bouillon powder instead of normal chicken bouillon.

My mom once made it with nonfat dry soymilk powder and it worked well.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Banned

Yes, you CAN live without Universal Binding Ingredient!!! Try making the following, instead:

Melt 3 tbs butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add 4 tbs regular flour to it. Cook, stirring constantly, until the flour no longer has a "raw flour" smell to it. If the flour is starting to brown (and if you don't want it to brown - you probably don't, for this recipe), then turn the heat down a bit. Once the roux is cooked (since that's what you've just made - now you can also make various creole recipes, cook a wide variety of sauces, make a base for a souflee, etc.), add milk and/or cream (try about a cup at first, and add more if necessary) and stir, until you have a sauce of the thickness and consistency that you need. It may take about 3 or 4 minutes to thicken up properly, so don't go whole hog with adding more milk or cream until you've seen how thick (or not thick) it's going to get. Add salt and pepper to taste and voila! - you have basic univeral binding ingredient, but made fresh out of wholesome ingredients.

If you like, you can sautee sliced mushrooms and herbs in another pan (first sautee the sliced mushrooms over medium-high heat in butter till they've fully juiced out and the juice has largely evaporated, leaving lovely browned mushrooms, then add the herbs at the end), with or without sauteed onion and/or garlic, and then add the milk or cream sauce.

You could also add shredded cheese to the sauce (cheddar, provolone, parmesan, etc.) along with sauteed onion, to make a cheese sauce.

You could, in fact, add any number of yummy things to it to give it the appropriate taste for the cassarole, souflee, sauce, or whatever it might be to which you're adding it. The world is your oyster.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:30 PM

Amy's Kitchen makes a nice COM that is mostly whole ingredients, nothing that you wouldn't know what it is. It's semi-condensed, but I've found it to be a great replacement (dh can't live without his T-giving green bean casserole).

Copied from the website: INGREDIENTS : Filtered water, organic mushrooms, organic onions, organic wheat flour, organic high oleic safflower oil, organic leeks, organic grade aa butter, organic cream, sea salt, organic parsley, garlic, spices.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

Old 02-14-2003, 10:11 PM

a vegan option--I pretty much use the same recipe as Marlena, but I add some nutritional yeast to the flour and let it get a bit brown. and I just use wayer instead of milk. It ends up with a nice chickeny (or something) flavor)

User Tag List