B F and flaxseed oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2003, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have recently heard that if you BF you shouldn't take flaxseed oil. Any trueth to this?

G'mama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2003, 11:20 PM

Don't know, but I hope not cause I took some while BF, especially when Ds was younger and had terrible excema, it was recommended I do so by the naturopathic physician we went to ~ but I took it throughout the time I was nursing ~ so I'll hang out here with ya and wait to see what others say too!!!!

Old 02-15-2003, 11:22 PM

I've not heard that before. In fact, here is a link to Sears about flax. Scroll down to where it talks about flax for brain building...it recommends pregnant and bfing women take a tablespoon per day.

Ask Dr. Sears
Old 02-16-2003, 03:03 PM

And you might consider taking it in the form of food, eggs to be precise. There are some really nice eggs that you can get at the health food store that are heavy on EFAs as well as vitamin E. Plus, they taste nicer than the oil. I used to take the oil before I became pregnant, and now it's a little icky for me.

Also, when you take in vitas/minerals/enzymes from food, your body processes them in the needed quanities, in my opinion

Good luck!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 02-16-2003, 03:17 PM

Being vegan, I make sure to take either flaxseed or hempseed oil every day to make sure my milk has everything DD needs (the only other supplement I take is B12 - we get vitamin D from the sun and everything else from food.) The omega-3's and 6's are present in most other vegetble oils, but not in the amount found in flaxseed and hempseed. As far as I know the only other rich source is fatty fish and maybe liver (not sure on that, I may be confusing myself since liver is the only rich natural food source of vitamin D) but we don't eat those so flax oil it is! I mix it in a smoothie so it isn't gross like taking straight oil. Or you can use it as salad dressing.

Jen

User Tag List