substitute for cow's milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-16-2003, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm seriously considering a no-dairy trial in our hoem for my daughter's behaviorial benefit.

i think she's ok with some dairy (the hidden stuff) but i am suspicious of the pure stuff ( ie drinking milk on cereal etc.)

it could be she cant handle any of it, but i need to start somewhere

can i use goat milk for our cereal instead or does it have to be a non-animal source?

what's best to start with in order to make the transition? i've heard different things about soy / rice / almond

i used vanilla soy for a couple days and she noticed the taste so i need something not so drastic.

_ANY_ advice is appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-16-2003, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my book, Raising Vegan Children in a Non-Vegan World, I recommend to families who are trying to switch from dairy to non-dairy to start with the things that aren't that noticeable.

For example, I wouldn't give her cereal with non-dairy milk just yet because the taste change is so dramatic. I would start with non-dairy waffles, pancakes, bread for toast, soy yogurt, oatmeal with non-dairy milk, etc. In these items, she isn't likely to be able to tell that she isn't eating cow's milk.

also, vanilla soy milk is meant to be a sweet milk. I only use it for baking. For foods, use regular rice or soy milk. Buy enriched for those great vitamins.

And maybe instead of butter, switch to non-hydrogenated margarine for a while. Like Earth Balance.

And if you're doing this on a trial basis, maybe also try eliminating cheese for a time and see what happens. Just make other things that don't contain cheese.

Anyway, I'm not saying you need to switch everything, it sounds like you don't want to switch everything... but I think it's often easier to use non-dairy items than people think.

Good luck in any case!
#3 of 3 Old 02-16-2003, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a soy milk which has a more milkish taste than other non-dairy milks. It is called "Silk" and comes in cartons in the refrigerated section just like dairy milk. Maybe a way to wean your child is do do half milk/half soy milk or almond milk and then keep increasing the percentage of non-dairy until she is all non-dairy. I think doing it in cereal is a good place since she would be less likely to notice than if it were plain milk.

Another way would be rather than to try to change things that she already eats, just serve a non-dairy breakfast - like eggs or pancakes, toast with peanut butter or almond butter.

By the way, as you wean off dairy you will want to think about other sources of calcium. Almonds and sesames are my favorite sources. Try almond butter or tahini on toast, bagels, etc.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page