WAP diet for PG and/or nursing moms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone trying to follow this?

I definately have the eggs down... breakfast is typically 2-3 eggs, fried in butter or lard, with cortido on top.

I used to get the extra yolks and a good portion of the milk in with egg nog... but I'm not currently getting nice pastured/organic eggs and raw organic milk... *cries*

I'm hoping to start making yoghurt for smoothies and to have with fruit, and get my daily milk that way.

Coconut oil... I think I'll start using it in baking. I make the muffin recipe in NT, but do a bread with it instead... banana, apple, ginger/spice bread, whatever we have on hand. Plus I think you can put it in smoothies, right?

I've just starting using cod liver oil. Blech. I didn't realize it, but the bottle I ordered was lemon mint. Lemon AND mint. The fish taste is bad enough, but then to mix lemon and mint? Ugh.

Speaking of fish... I'm still working out how to incorporate it. I have a nice salmon dip recipe -- it's basically a brick of cream cheese, a can of salmon, and a spoonful of seafood sauce. Mix. Yum. Good for dipping veggies in for an afternoon snack.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#2 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG... at your location.

Just out of curiosity, what's cortido?

~nick
#3 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Cortido is like coleslaw, or saurkraut. I've only ever eaten the stuff I make, so I'm sure it's way off of the traditional stuff. There is a recipe in Nourishing Traditions for it, but I like my method better, based on how a friend taught me to make saurkraut.

Basically, you grate a cabbage and some carrots. I put about -- IIRC -- 6 tsp salt on it for each cabbage + few carrots (the saurkraut recipe calls for 4 tsp salt per med head cabbage, so I guesstimate), pound it a bit, and let sit covered for an hour. I stuff it in scalded quart-sized wide mouth mason jars (one med head cabbage fits one jar), pounding it down after each scoop I put in. As I go, I add a few flakes of dry chile peppers, and a few peeled cloves of garlic. I fill it to about an inch from the top, and make sure there's liquid at the top to cover the veggies well. Screw on the lid, and let sit in a warm, dark cupboard for 2-4 weeks, then transfer to cool storage (root cellar, basement, whatever). I made up some in Oct? Sept? and it's still good now. Tastes super fresh -- after having eaten the regular heat-canned veggies, the difference is just amazing. It would be hard to believe that the stuff wasn't made within the last few days if I hadn't done it myself.

I was wondering if my location made any sense, or if I was just fooling myself into believing it did cause I know what I mean. If that makes sense.

#4 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 02:50 PM

I am going to do my best to follow starting in June (when I'll have time to ferment, make broth, etc.) We'll be TTC starting in July, BTW.

The dairy won't be a problem. Yummy raw creamy yellow milk from a farm in PA.

I don't love eggs and only eat about 6 per week now, so I'll have to get creative there.

Oily fish or lard might be a problem as I am not so much a fan of eating pork and oily fish daily?? I'll do my best.

Plan to soak, sprout, ferment like mad this summer and beyond!

Beef is expensive!! (The good stuff) So I think I'll not eat as much as WAP might want- but some every week at least.

Already doing CLO daily (have been for a few years).

Thinking of getting Dr. Ron's organ delight (I think that is what it is called) dried supplement for the bennies of organ meats (not as good as fresh, I'm sure, but it will do).

No problem with lots of OG fruits and veggies!

Did I forget anything??
#5 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 05:25 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
I'll be starting to TTC in late April/early May, so I'm trying to follow the WAP guidelines now...

So far, I've been doing the following regularly:
- daily CLO (lemon flavored from Nordic Naturals) - disappears nicely when mixed with a bit of orange juice
- daily 25,000/10,000 natural Carlson's vitamin A&D because the NN CLO is not a high-vitamin version
- daily eggnog made with 2 raw egg yolks from organic, pastured eggs and raw milk with raw honey and vanilla
- daily serving of homemade kimchi
- daily 4oz glass of homemade beet kvass

Things I'm working on increasing:
- more yogurt - I have some awesome homemade stuff in the fridge
- more pastured meat - I have a freezer full of grass-fed beef - just need to make stuff
- broth - chicken and beef
- liver - I'm going to try liver dumplings and ground beef/liver jerkey
- crispy sprouted nuts - I've done brazil nuts; almonds and cashews are next

Challenges:
- The raw milk I buy 1 hour away starts to sour within about 4 days, so I need to freeze it if I want to stock up, and the consistency afterwards leaves something to be desired.
- I'm trying to do raw butter, but it smells and tastes like cow
- I want to incorporate more EVCO, but I can't get it to work in smoothes - it clumps up on me. I suppose I'll try baking with it.
- Fish. I love salmon, but I'm freaked out by fish and contaminants right now.
- I need to greatly increase my raw fresh fruit/veggie intake. I love fresh fruits and veggies, so I don't really know why I've not been so good about this lately, unless it's just because it's COLD here and I've been craving warm food.

I've had pretty rotten morning sickness with my 2 previous pregnancies, so one of my goals is to try to improve liver function so as to head off MS this time around. That's where the beet kvass comes in, and I need to get cracking on the liver jerkey I'm thinking about kombucha, too. Any other ideas?
#6 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 06:38 PM

Wow, Brisen-guess there was an interest! I am trying and falling miserably short. We were all vegan and suffering because of it. I know how important it is, but I really REALLY don't enjoy meat/fish/eggs. Neither do my kiddos. I am 95% raw, which is compatible with WAP's diet. I just need to make sure the remaining 5% is meat and other animal products. So here's how it looks!
Raw fruit and nuts/nut butters for breakfast.
Raw veggies for afternoon and snacks. We use alot of fats, too. I usually do a large (6 cups?) salad for lunch with sprouted beans and veggies...kiddos do the same, just smaller. They LOVE raw veggies!
Lots of raw sprouted treats...yesterday was a raw chocolate cake. YUM!
We don't do any dairy because of allergies.
We do CLO every day.
I do use clarified organic pasture fed butter.
We use EVCO every day-and lots of it.
I sprout everything-though we are grain free. I sprout nuts and beans and broccoli/clover...things like that.
Eggs I can usually get people to eat in egg salad, and I make it with a raw homemade ailoi.
Chicken (organic-free range) once a week. At least I try.
I'm attempting to get more fish in. salmon is okay, but everything wlse skeeves me out and dd is anaphalactic to shellfish.
I try to do lots of bone broth, but don't always manage it.
I have a ton of pasteured meat, and just can't seem to cook it. I could really use some inspiration.
#7 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 07:04 PM

We always do coconut oil in smoothies-works out fine! You can also make "candy." I do almond butter, coconut oil, honey and coconut meat all rolled up and frozen. When we did grains we'd spread coconut oil and almond butter on toast. I can also eat ot off the spoon! Here's my favorite:
Coconut meat and water
coconut oil
frozen banana
raw almond butter
vanilla, cinnamon and honey to taste.
Best. Milkshake. Ever.
My kids and dh beg for it! Tastes kinda like eggnog. Sincew we don't do dairy it serves several purposes for us.
#8 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 07:08 PM

: I have never heard of this...off to read link

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#9 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Bia

Quote:
I've had pretty rotten morning sickness with my 2 previous pregnancies, so one of my goals is to try to improve liver function so as to head off MS this time around.
ahhhh, finally someone saying they know morning sickness is related to liver function! Thank you! You've eased some of my frustration. (For six months my coworker has been sick sick sick while eating total crap and doing nothing to support her pg body, and laughing off any advice right before she puts her soda down to go to the bathroom to be sick again. argh!)
Carry on.
#10 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
ahhhh, finally someone saying they know morning sickness is related to liver function! Thank you! You've eased some of my frustration. (For six months my coworker has been sick sick sick while eating total crap and doing nothing to support her pg body, and laughing off any advice right before she puts her soda down to go to the bathroom to be sick again. argh!)
Carry on.
My midwife also touts this. She was saying apparently when you puke your liver releases some chemical that makes you feel better. So the MS is directly related to liver function.

Anyway. I didn't know they had a special WAP diet but I've been trying to do a lot of those things after reading Susan "what'shername"'s Eat Fat, Loose fat. They have a maintaince section that is safe for PG and nursing mommies that looks very simular. I must say that I actually am LOVING the coconut since I am a coconut freak. We'll see how I do with the CLO when I manage to pick some up at Whole Foods.

Deb
#11 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

For coconut oil clumping in smoothies, I've heard that if you add it in a thin stream, similar to making mayo, it will not clump. I think once you've added some slowly at the start, you can add it more quickly.

#12 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 10:25 PM

oh man--so many ideas to change. i read somewhere that after 6 months (def by a year, sigh), it doesn't matter what you eat if you are nursing. NOW i know better, but i still kinda skip lunch and worry about calories sometimes. what is wrong with me? my girls are 15 months and get clo in their breakfast smoothies. breakfast is their best meal, but now that i'm easing into scd, all i can think to give them is eggs and cheese and apples (which they only take a bite of) with their yogurt/banana/clo smoothie. the rest of the day they basically snack, tho sometimes they get into dinner. my point: they nurse like they did at 6 months, maybe more.

i do lots of clo--probably too much. i tried liver last week and could not do it. could NOT do it. i'm going to add liver to a beef broth. i was getting 4 tblsp of butter a day when i was eating sourdough like crazy, but now, not so much. i love evco in baked stuff and nut butter but it's so hard to have crispy nuts around all the time, and expensive. i think i do ok on meat, but i don't branch out beyond beef and chicken. salmon at least once a week. i made fishcakes with roe, but it was over the weekedn and we got behind on our meals so now they're frozen. can i justify just eating caviar? i think i may... whitefish roe is $6 at wholefoods. i guess i'll add egg yolks to my smoothies--i hate to waste the whites. would it be bad if i added the whites to the scrambled eggs dh, the girls and i eat? seems so. i'm pretty good about fresh fruit and veggies. i never steam my sprouts tho. (i'm still getting used to not using a microwave. my kitchen is NEVER clean.)

someone tell me that it's realy important for ME to eat well. my body seems ok (definitely better since starting nt--i'm having my second pp period, three months and three pregnancy tests after the first--AND IT IS MY FIRST PAINFREE PREIOD IN MY LIFE!)--so i think that works against me. i assume i can take it easy because i haven't hit rock bottom.

please tell me how what i eat goes directly to my girls! why oh why aren't there any damn studies that SHOW that? wouldn't that help us all?
#13 of 103 Old 03-20-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

nicolena (love your girls' names, by the way!) -- it IS important for you to eat well. Your body cannot magically create healthy nutrients out of thin air, or a SAD diet. Edited to add: I mean this in a nice, supportive, helpful way! I came back to the thread this morning and thought it sounded rather harsh. Maybe just my preggo hormones

You can add the egg whites in wherever you like. I don't think the recommendation to add extra egg yolks comes from the whites being undesirable -- but it does say that, while the yolks are good raw, the whites are hard to digest uncooked. But they're good for you, especially if your egg source is good, so having the yolks raw and adding the whites to cooked stuff is great. Actually, if you beat them first, then fold them into your omlette, it would be nice and light and fluffy.

My mission this spring is to hunt down roe! I wonder if a nicer grocery store, like Loblaws here, would carry it? Hmmmm.... what does it look like when you buy it at wholefoods? Is it packaged? Is it a certain brand?

I heard from someone who recently said that daily (a few times a day) rejuvelac during her pregnancy (she's delivering any day now) has made a huge difference.

#14 of 103 Old 03-21-2006, 12:58 AM

Subbing...I'm a nursing mama of an almost 2 year old(he turns 2 April 16th)...I'd like to be pregant soon/now too. I'm still learning and taking baby steps for the WAP lifestyle.

Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
#15 of 103 Old 03-21-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Wow, Brisen-guess there was an interest! I am trying and falling miserably short. We were all vegan and suffering because of it. I know how important it is, but I really REALLY don't enjoy meat/fish/eggs. Neither do my kiddos. I am 95% raw, which is compatible with WAP's diet. I just need to make sure the remaining 5% is meat and other animal products. So here's how it looks!
Raw fruit and nuts/nut butters for breakfast.
Raw veggies for afternoon and snacks. We use alot of fats, too. I usually do a large (6 cups?) salad for lunch with sprouted beans and veggies...kiddos do the same, just smaller. They LOVE raw veggies!
Lots of raw sprouted treats...yesterday was a raw chocolate cake. YUM!
We don't do any dairy because of allergies.
We do CLO every day.
I do use clarified organic pasture fed butter.
We use EVCO every day-and lots of it.
I sprout everything-though we are grain free. I sprout nuts and beans and broccoli/clover...things like that.
Eggs I can usually get people to eat in egg salad, and I make it with a raw homemade ailoi.
Chicken (organic-free range) once a week. At least I try.
I'm attempting to get more fish in. salmon is okay, but everything wlse skeeves me out and dd is anaphalactic to shellfish.
I try to do lots of bone broth, but don't always manage it.
I have a ton of pasteured meat, and just can't seem to cook it. I could really use some inspiration.

Wow Mama! You are doing a great job with your diet! I want to be like you when I grow up! LoL. I was vegan for a while too and I started taking CLO and eating eggs and salmon on occassion. I really want to get more serious: more raw/more sprouting. Thanks for being an inspiration!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#16 of 103 Old 03-21-2006, 01:33 AM

HA! Glad someone thinks so! I love being raw-or mostly really. I have so much fun "uncooking!"
#17 of 103 Old 03-21-2006, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

AngelBee,

If you're interested in learning about Weston A. Price (wap) and Nourishing Traditions (NT, a cook book based on WAP's research), there is a monthly NT thread. This is the website for the WAP foundation, loads of info there!

#18 of 103 Old 03-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Subbing-I am nursing my "Little Lorenzo" who just turned two this week-still nursing many, many times a day and night!

Firefaery-care to share that raw chocolate cake recipe?????

Thanks!
#19 of 103 Old 03-22-2006, 12:19 AM

Cake:
2 cups figs, soaked at least two hours
2 cups walnuts, soaked at least 8 hours
1/2 cup raw carob/raw cacoa powder.

Blend in food processor until mixed well. Form into a round loaf on a plate.

Icing:
1.5 cups cashews, soaked at least 8 hours
1/2 avacado
1/4 cup raw carob/cacao powder
1.5 tbs. honey
3/4 cup water

Blend in food processor. Ice cake.
I sprinkled the top with raw unsulphured coconut and put organic strawberries ontop. Awesome! It takes (besides obvious soaking time only about ten minutes from start to finish. Have I mentioned I love raw? THis is Alissa Cohen's recipe. Her site (if you're interested in more yummy delights) is www.alissacohen.com
#20 of 103 Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 AM

So ladies...where are we all at? Let's do a challenge and start posting samples of our days to get help. I know I could use it! Anyone up for it?
#21 of 103 Old 03-22-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my day so far... and the ways I know I could improve...

-I didn't have a pre-bfast snack (first bfast? ) and was STARVING by the time I sat down for bfast.

-bfast: fried egg banjo: 2 eggs (reg store eggs, bleh), fried in butter (reg store butter, bleh) on toast (reg homemade ww yeast bread -- haven't even tried making sourdough yet!) with butter & mayo (should be homemade -- now that I have whey, I hope to make some today), lettuce, tomato. Glass of fruitopia (should be something like orangina).

#22 of 103 Old 03-23-2006, 06:13 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Ack - this thread was on page 3.

I'm up for a challenge

My day so far...
3 cups black tea with turbanido sugar and organic milk
soaked organic steel cut oats with organic raisins, organic butter, and organic maple syrup
organic banana
homemade veggie lasagna

I really need to cut down on the tea, if only because it is how I get the majority of sugar in my diet and it is the one significant comfort food in my diet. I feel really good when I have soaked steel cut oats for breakfast, so I'm going to stick with that for now. I can improve the lasagna by using whole wheat noodles, but DH bought the ingredients and made the lasagna, so I'm not complaining . Also, I still need to eat LOTS more fresh fruits and veggies and drink more water.

I think I'm going to go take my daily CLO and have a small bowl of kimchi and a small glass of beet kvass now while I'm thinking about it...
#23 of 103 Old 03-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Okay, time to start being accountable
Breakfast: a mango
coconut shake (coconut water, meat, frozen banana, raw almond butter, vanilla bean, raw honey and cinnamon)

snack: smoothie (vitamineral greens, cacao, strawberry, cherry, peach, mango banana, raw almond butter, coconut milk and oil, brazil nuts)

Lunch: 1/3 pineapple, 2 cups grapes, larabar, 1 cucumber

Snack: 3 cups coleslaw mix with roasted red pepper aioli

Dinner: Kale salad (kale, red cabbage, red onion, carrot, braggs, olive oil, lemon juice)

Anyone else up for sharing? I need some inspiration!
#24 of 103 Old 03-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi-
I am new to this thread and just starting to bring NT into our diet. Does anyone drink kombucha while nursing. My son is 15 months old and still nurses 8-10 times in 24 hours. Just wondering if it was safe if bought from a store.
#25 of 103 Old 03-24-2006, 05:32 PM

Hi! So glad to have found this thread. I've been eating NT for a couple of years... and followed it pretty well during pregnancy. I've been off dairy for a couple of months since my now 15 week old ds showed sensitivity to it (though I'm now learning about healing MY gut to help with that!). That's been really hard for me. I have a really great source of raw grass fed milk and cream, and I just have to drool when dh drinks it! I've been eating my (occasional) cereal with rice milk and a raw egg yolk... it's just not the same! I really miss homemade yogurt, too. I've been trying to make up for it with lots of kimchi and sauerkraut.

firefaery- thanks for the recipe... I'm definitely going to try it as soon as I can get to the store... sounds delicious!
#26 of 103 Old 03-25-2006, 12:18 AM

well, I'll join. I'm still nursing my 21 month old, probably 8 or more times every day (and night).

This morning I made soaked oats with raisins, fresh raw milk, raw butter, and maple syrup.

Lunch was turkey (deli, yes, I know that's bad, but it's so easy!), organic carrots, organic apples, and grapes dipped in almond butter. Chased by some really good dark chocolate.

Snack was 1/2 a banana, toddler ate the other half.

Supper was chicken, rice, and veggie soup. I roasted the chicken yesterday, and put the carcass in the crockpot last night for broth. It simmered all day in there, and this afternoon I strained it out for the soup.

I finished it all off with the last of my dark chocolate. I'm going to concentrate on no more sugars!

I'm making blueberry muffins for breakfast tomorrow. Not soaked, as I'm a little frustrated with my attempts to make edible soaked muffins. I'll probably have some fresh yogurt with berries or bananas and honey or something.
#27 of 103 Old 03-27-2006, 07:04 PM

hi, nak, I'm nursing a 2 month old and tried kombucha for the first time a few weeks ago. noroblems here...

it was from whole foods, Tea Chi i think. yummy

I'm glad we have this thread! BBL

-Kelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by memom
Hi-

I am new to this thread and just starting to bring NT into our diet. Does anyone drink kombucha while nursing. My son is 15 months old and still nurses 8-10 times in 24 hours. Just wondering if it was safe if bought from a store.
#28 of 103 Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM

Jeanne,

Same problem with my ds here. I reaaly miss yogurt and raw cheese. i'm thinking of getting raw butter and starting with that to see if it bothers ds. DD had the same issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne_L
Hi! So glad to have found this thread. I've been eating NT for a couple of years... and followed it pretty well during pregnancy. I've been off dairy for a couple of months since my now 15 week old ds showed sensitivity to it (though I'm now learning about healing MY gut to help with that!). That's been really hard for me. I have a really great source of raw grass fed milk and cream, and I just have to drool when dh drinks it! I've been eating my (occasional) cereal with rice milk and a raw egg yolk... it's just not the same! I really miss homemade yogurt, too. I've been trying to make up for it with lots of kimchi and sauerkraut.

firefaery- thanks for the recipe... I'm definitely going to try it as soon as I can get to the store... sounds delicious!
#29 of 103 Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 AM

Hi All-
My son has had very loose stools the last couple days, he is 15 months old and still nursing. I have had raw milk several times in the last couple weeks, is there any chance that it could be the culprit, even though he hasn't had any?
#30 of 103 Old 03-28-2006, 11:57 PM

Count me in too!! I am still nursing my 16 month old all day and night it seems. We just started the SCD. Still trying to figure it all out. I have been eating eggs like crazy, and am starting to suspect problems digesting them for me and dd. Definetely can't do raw eggs. Which will really bumm me out if I I have to cut them.

Today I had:
2 peices of banana carrot almond cake with coconut cream/honey frosting.
coffee

boiled egg
soup with chicken broth, carrots, kale, rutabaga, celery
beet kvass and water kefir

2 deviled eggs
yogurt/kefir smoothie with frozen banana and strawberries

steak with 3 beets and the greens with lemon garlic butter(which was so so yummy. First time eating beets and I am so addicted)

We are having problems with raw foods right now so can't do any raw veggies and trying to stay away from fruits. Otherwise we'd be eating the heck out of them.

memom--it's possible. Have you had other dairy before? I would wait it out and make sure he's not teething or caught a bug. It if continues maybe stop the raw milk for a while and see if it improves.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page