Opinions on Protein - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2003, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have long suffered from what I thought was post-nasal drip--just plain too much mucus in my throat and nose. Lately I started to suspect it was due to dairy products, especially milk--I really like milk and cereal in the morning!

Here's the question. I eat little meat, mostly poultry and not that often. We eat a lot of legumes. I've relied on dairy as a protein source, but now that I'm not, I'm suddenly wondering what *really* is sufficient protein in a day? I have my doubts about the RDA because of conflicts of interest. Does anyone know of studies or sites that can give me a better understanding of what the body needs to thrive in the way of protein?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2003, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There is protein in all foods, even fruit. As long as you are eating a varied diet and getting enough calories each day, you will get enough protein. Also, animal proteins leach calcium from the bones so moving away from dairy will have other benefits.

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't worry about a protein deficiency. The books I've read and the doctors I've spoken with all agree on this. You may want to read some of McDougall's books, or Michael Klaper or Dean Ornish.

And if you're looking for non-dairy products that are delicious, check out this page that has reviews and a list:

http://www.vegfamily.com/product-reviews/index.htm
Old 02-17-2003, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a vegan for 10 years, I was not paying enough attention to protein because I too had read there is protein in all foods however I ended up quite skinny and weak after a few years. (I was also very athletic). Protein and fat are especially important in a vegan diet. If you are cutting out dairy I would add almonds/almond butter and sesame seeds/tahini. They are both excellent sources of calcium as well as protein and good fats (though almonds are the lowest in fat of all nuts). Sea vegetables, tofu, tempeh, TVP, whole grains - particularly millet and quinoa are high in protein, and of course beans and legumes. By the way, you can make your own almond milk - here is the recipe from my book Simply Natural Baby Food

Almond Milk

1/2 cup raw almonds (you can soak them if you like)
2 cups water or 1 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup apple juice

Place almonds in blender and grind dry to powder. Add liquid and puree until smooth. You can use as is in cereal, smoothies, etc. For a very fine drinking texture, strain thru cheesecloth. The pulp can be added to cereal, baked goods, or used as a facial scrub!

Any nut or seed can be used in place of almonds too . . .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-17-2003, 04:11 PM

Cathe, is that dairy milk in your almond milk recipe? Or is that supposed to be water?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 02-17-2003, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks for catching the mistake - I fixed it.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-18-2003, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks all for your thoughts. I appreciate it!

User Tag List