How about an MDC Spring Raw Challenge? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 138 Old 03-27-2006, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cherry nut milk -

Almonds or some other nut, Aguave, Sea salt (pinch) when ever I have it I add coconut butter but I was out today - and pitted cherries. Add water and blend. I use the frozen cherries from Trader Joe's. Fresh cherries are of course better.

The family is not raw but of course the more raw I eat the more they eat.

I cooked for lunch. I am going grocery shopping now so I am better prepared for lunch tomorrow.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 138 Old 03-27-2006, 08:46 PM

Mmmmmmm. Today was:
Smoothie (almond butter, coconut oil, peaches, banana, cherries, cacao and vitamineral greens)
Wheat Grass
Mock Tuna with tomato (sprouted beans, broccoli sprouts, mung bean sprouts, onion, dulse, sea salt, almond butter and celery)
Coconut milk with meat and banana
Raw pasta with Pesto (oh my god-YUM!)
Raw Carrot Cake.

I feel wonderful! Alissa's recipes are so easy and SO yummy.
#63 of 138 Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Mmmmmmm. Today was:
Smoothie (almond butter, coconut oil, peaches, banana, cherries, cacao and vitamineral greens)
Wheat Grass
Mock Tuna with tomato (sprouted beans, broccoli sprouts, mung bean sprouts, onion, dulse, sea salt, almond butter and celery)
Coconut milk with meat and banana
Raw pasta with Pesto (oh my god-YUM!)
Raw Carrot Cake.

I feel wonderful! Alissa's recipes are so easy and SO yummy.
ohmygosh that sounds GOOD!!!

dust.gif
#64 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 AM

I had a bowl of my dh's cheerios last night

Good news though...I'll never do that again! My stomach is killing me. Payback is no fun at all
#65 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 12:32 PM

What was for breakfast?

We had mango/pineapple/banana/coconut milk smoothie with some green powder for a little boost.

Believe it or not, I'm making 4 pizzas today for my cooking club. I made two crusts last night and they looked so good. How am I going to resist THAT?

Any suggestions for a living pizza?
#66 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 01:00 PM

Okay, this is going to sound like a dumb question - but I have this coconut and I want to use it, but I'm not sure how to get it open. I remember my dad doing it when I was a little kid, but the liquid inside was mostly spilled and the rest of it had all the brown coconut stuff in it (which can be strained, but still most of it was gone). Is there a good way to get the darn thing open?
#67 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 03:33 PM

For breakfast I just had some fruit. Normally we have a smoothie but we had to run out this morning so I just threw some apples and bananas in the diaper bag. I love that

Dunno about the coconut though...I've never had fresh coconut
#68 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! you got a great start today jaspersmommy! It's so nice that fruit is so portable. I've been putting those banana barley cookies I made in my purse when we go somewhere. It has helped curve those temptations!

About the coconut, is it a regular coconut, or young coconut?
#69 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama
Okay, this is going to sound like a dumb question - but I have this coconut and I want to use it, but I'm not sure how to get it open. I remember my dad doing it when I was a little kid, but the liquid inside was mostly spilled and the rest of it had all the brown coconut stuff in it (which can be strained, but still most of it was gone). Is there a good way to get the darn thing open?
take a clean screwdriver or something similar and poke open one of the three holes you see in the top (looks like a monkey face...poke open the mouth (one of them is softer usually)..this is how I learned) then drain out the liquid..I make sure the water tastes good and wont bother opening the coconut if its not...then wrap it in a old towel and hit it with a hammer until you have broken it up and gotten the hard shell off, you can then pull off any pieces of shell, a butter knife works to pry shell off then rinse. hope that helps

so far I'm all really raw today and feeling really good...I do feel a bit wieghed down by the almonds though.

I started with barley juice powder mixed with water then ate a grapefruit and just had mango, some almonds and cacao powder w/maple syrup

dust.gif
#70 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2

About the coconut, is it a regular coconut, or young coconut?
good question..my directions were for a brown coconut.

dust.gif
#71 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 04:39 PM

Well, it's brown! So, your directions should work. Thanks - I'm anxious to crack the thing open. I had a pretty yummy smoothie this morning with some juice, fresh strawberries, a banana, and some dried coconut.

I am apparently really ignorant about coconuts - are young ones a different color? I have a "cookbook" called "Raw in Ten Minutes" and I think he talks about young coconuts. How are they different - I mean, besides, obviously, being young! Do they have softer flesh? Thanks for the info!
#72 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, it is soft, and delicious.

I've only had a green smoothie today so far.

Last night I tried a portabella mushroom with lots of guacamole on top. It's good! I'll have to remember the portabellas for when I want something for an open face sandwich.
#73 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 05:12 PM

On alissa cohen's site she has a recipe for a living pizza. Haven't tried it-but I bet it's awesome!
Breakfast: watermelon
Wheat grass
banana
Snack: Mango and 1/2 asian pear
Lunch: nori roll with leftover mock tuna salad, tomato, avacado
#74 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 09:34 PM

young thai coconuts are white and for them you insert a knife at an angle on the top and cut (using another tool to pound the tip of the knife if needed) a hole, the flesh scoops right out.

there is some controvercy over the young coconuts,,,I've heard this issue often in raw circles that some of the y coconuts are dipped in formaldahyde as a preservative

i'm off to make a salad for dinner...with some cooked veggies and tempeh, I think I'm detoxing a lot here because of the raw/barleypowder and all the excercise I have been doing lately so I'm not feeling so hot right now.

dust.gif
#75 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama
there is some controvercy over the young coconuts,,,I've heard this issue often in raw circles that some of the y coconuts are dipped in formaldahyde as a preservative
I never heard that about the coconuts before.

I have never opend a young coconut before. I always ask someine else to do it. They usually use a big macheti like knife and wack it 4 times at the top until a square is cut. Remove the square and stick a straw in.

I am having a hard time sticking to raw. I came here today to get some inspiration.

Thanks mama's

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#76 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 PM

I had a delicious dinner - um, I'll call it spicey peanut cabbage slaw.

Peanut butter, ginger, scallions, and more with green cabbage, carrots, and red and yellow peppers. It was delish but not completely raw because I don't have all raw stocked up in my pantry yet - peanut butter, etc. But soon!

I was going to make some cherry nutmilk but never had time. I look forward to it tomorrow!

I also bought some raw macadamia nuts. They are like butta.
#77 of 138 Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will
I had a delicious dinner - um, I'll call it spicey peanut cabbage slaw.
I also bought some raw macadamia nuts. They are like butta.
The dinner sounds great! Maybe I will try that this week.

I love Macadamia nuts. I especcially like making milkw/them. I stopped buying them because TJ's stopped carrying the raw ones and I can never justify the $16 or what ever it is in the health food store.

#78 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 12:04 AM

Cabbage sounds great! I am debating buying some wild jungle peanuts so I can make peanut butter....maybe I'll try it with pumpkin seed butter and some salt...That would seriously satisfy some cravings for me!
#79 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 12:23 AM

You all are doing so fabulously (is that a word??)!!!! The recipes you come up with are so fantastic. How's every feeling? are you high in energy? happy? or are you feeling a little down? I'm always amazed at different people's reactions when they begin this lifestyle.

Today I made a huge container of "black forest smoothie" and drank it for breakfast and snacks throughout the day:

2 young coconuts (water and meat)
1 cup frozen sweet cherries
2 scoops of hemp protein powder
2 Tbsp cacao powder
1 Tbsp Maca
1 Tbsp Mesquite meal
dash of stevia powder

whirrrrrr it up in the vitamix and yummmmmmmmm

lunch was a big kale salad with hemp seeds, tomato, avocado, carrots, celery and cucumber. I massaged the kale with juice of 1 lemon and some himalayan crystal salt then added some flax and olive oils. Had a few flax crackers with it.

Dinner was rushed as we had a Holistic Moms Network meeting tonight (I love those folks!). Had a big salad. and when we got home had apples with almond butter.

I also snacked on some raw macaroons with carob. man, those are fab!

I had so much trouble getting to sleep last night due to all the raw energy coarsing through my veins! It feels so GOOOOOOD!
#80 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 01:42 AM

I'm feeling incredible! I keep waiting for a drop-but it isn't happening!
#81 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 01:34 PM

I always get cravings for raw foods from your posts...everything sounds so good...I enjoy cooked foods in my diet and plan to keep them but adding more raw is definitely a good thing

firefaery~
have you found recipes or info on making raw peanut butter? I remember trying to make raw pb which didnt taste very good...there were threads on the nfl message boards about it...from what I remember, due to the type of nut (legume actually if I remember correctly) they dont make a good butter unless roasted and they contain high amounts of a certain toxin....I'm not sure if the jungle peauts would be any different,,,just thought I would share this info with you.

I remember having trouble sleeping when all raw...also its been happening to me the past 4 nights from up'ing my raw and exercise ,,,not last night, I had a toxic headache so I crashed out...I"m going to take something (herbal or mineral) to help that...I need my sleep!

dust.gif
#82 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 01:52 PM

Okay, I am starting off good so far.

I have had 1 avacado w/ celtic sea salt, some grapes and vanilla nut cream over mixed berries.

I am full and satisfied.

I made some lemonaid for later.

I was so close to cooking up some eggs this morning but this thread helped me to make some better choices for myself

#83 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Still going strong here..I made a almond/date crust and strawberry pie yesterday. It was good, at first, then I ate too much and it is very rich, so I wasn't really hungry the rest of the day. And I really didn't eat as much as I would have with a normal pie. It made 2 and I have the other one in the freezer. Dd liked it, but ds didn't care for it.
I made 2 different kinds of flax crackers yesterday that are done now. They are interesting, for sure. They will be good to have around though.
I've now got sprouted wheat crackers and essene bread going in the dehydrator.

I've had carrot/apple/kale/spinach juice this morning, and frozen blueberries.
#84 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 04:34 PM

Peanuts naturally contain aflatoxins which are a kind of mold. I am thinking jungle peanuts are cleaner-but haven't finished my reading. They are a legume-not a nut. Usually the problem is in extracting the oils (besides of course them being toxic!) so I don't know yet. I may well end up sticking with the pumpkin seed butter idea...
#85 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 06:15 PM

What about using raw tahini? I had that in my cabbage too and it made it nice and creamy.
#86 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 PM

Okay, just ate a green salad. I used toasted sesame oil but besides that, It is after 4pm and I am still raw for today. Yeah.
Going to make a smoothe

#87 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Peanuts naturally contain aflatoxins which are a kind of mold. I am thinking jungle peanuts are cleaner-but haven't finished my reading. They are a legume-not a nut. Usually the problem is in extracting the oils (besides of course them being toxic!) so I don't know yet. I may well end up sticking with the pumpkin seed butter idea...
Today I noticed in Julianos Raw UnCookBook he has a recipe for peanut sauce and says that he doesnt use peanuts in his sauce because they dont taste very good and most non~org peanut farmers grow pesticide~sprayed cotton in between their peanut plants.

i had a yummy salad for lunch...green leaf lettuce w/shredded carrot and soba noodles and spicy peanut sauce all over it...made w/peanut butter and non organic even ...i mistakenly bought non org

we just went grocery shopping and i bought a coconut and some white/mellow miso, juliano uses it in many recipes, deserts even...i just tasted it and its reallly good with a hint of sweetness.

tweetybirds2~
that all sounds really good...what did you put in your crackers? let us know how the essene bread comes out...I tried it once and it came out like a brick and not very tasty.

thanks mamas for the raw inspiration! ~~~~

dust.gif
#88 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 09:19 PM

Juliano's cookbook is frightening! It's all so complicated for simple little me. What does he put in his peanut sauce? It's true that they are contaminated BIG TIME, but wild jungle peanuts collected in remote areas really shouldn't be. If I can find a reasonable sub I will stop obsessing! I need to make a peanut sauce!

Miso isn't raw, but alot of hard core raw foodists use it because of how nutritious and beneficial it is. I haven't yet, but once I get my hands on a good recipe I will!
#89 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Juliano's cookbook is frightening! It's all so complicated for simple little me. What does he put in his peanut sauce? It's true that they are contaminated BIG TIME, but wild jungle peanuts collected in remote areas really shouldn't be. If I can find a reasonable sub I will stop obsessing! I need to make a peanut sauce!

Miso isn't raw, but alot of hard core raw foodists use it because of how nutritious and beneficial it is. I haven't yet, but once I get my hands on a good recipe I will!
i can see how you'd feel that way!

I'd love to try some different (simpler recipes) I mostly get ideas from his book.

the peanut sauce has, cashew butter, maple syrup, oj, shoyu and blend then add chopped almonds.

why isnt miso raw? the brand I have says unpasturized...i dont mind if its not I dont feel cooked food is umm, evil or poison or anything (i used to ).

the raw bug is totally hitting me...i had a great time shopping today and made a mostly raw dinner of a marinated veggie salad w/ warm millet all covered in an orange/miso sauce now I'm thinking of what desert I can make

I also wanted to add that I have been eating less and feeling more satisfied and my pants are looser

dust.gif
#90 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

About how I'm feeling--I feel much cleaner and lighter. This is what I was aiming for, since I'm approaching this as a 'spring cleaning' thing. My stomach is not as tender, pretty much not at all.

I just made the spinach dip and ate it with flax crackers. It doesn't compare, but it was still good. I still can't get over how little I can eat of any one thing!

Oh-the crackers-they are from Alissa's book. One of the flax has banana and OJ, and the other has ginger and garlic. I did the essene bread into individual patties. They are actually puffing up! I didn't realize it would do that.
I don't know if the wheat crackers will turn out since my dear, sweet son was such a good helper and poured salt in them. lol They will be salty, but hopefully still edible!

I might break the 100% tomorrow to eat some steamed kale. Oh, I know, the horrers! Such a cheat. But, I need to finish up another bunch of kale, and me and my kids absolutely love the kale with cashew cream sauce recipe.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page