How about an MDC Spring Raw Challenge? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the process by which it's made. The soybeans have to be cooked. It's not technically raw-and being unpasteurized is HUGE because then it retains all of the active enzymes and probiotics. I'm not bothered by the "lack of rawness" either.
#92 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
I might break the 100% tomorrow to eat some steamed kale. Oh, I know, the horrers! Such a cheat.
NOOOO...DONT DO IT!!

jk

those recipes sound awesome, I'm going to look for her book at the library...thats where I got "Raw", they had a few others.

firefaery~
i see, doesnt bother me either.

anyone feeding your dc high raw?

just found this recipe, sounds good maybe sub cashews for pine nuts

http://www.vegan-food.net/recipe/489...heesecake-Raw/

dust.gif
#93 of 138 Old 03-29-2006, 11:11 PM

My kiddos are both very high raw. SOme days 100%, others 95%. It's their choice. For awhile I made two dishes, one cooked, one raw and presented both. They inevitably would not even touch the cooked. They just don't like it. I do give them free range eggs, though. And last weekend they chose to try some grass fed beef at my parents house. I try to just let them do what they want to and let their bodies lead them. It's worked for us so far!
#94 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

mamapits and mommy&will, you both sound like you have been doing great! I can't remember who it was that said they have a hard time with veggies, but I was just going to recommend juicing. When we first started getting into healthy eating, I also started juicing, and it helped cleanse my palate tremendously! Just do more carrots and apples at first than other green veggies, then slowly adjust to it being less sweet. This works great for kids, too.

Well, my wheat crackers ARE way too salty! Dang it. I guess he got more in there than I thought. Oh well.
I made the kale tonight instead. I had a bite and that is all I wanted. It just had no appeal for some reason. Back to raw for now.
#95 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
mamapits and mommy&will, you both sound like you have been doing great!
Well, I was doing great until last night. Remember the pizzas I had to cook for my cooking club? All afternoon I spent making dough and sauce and was tired by the end of the day. I said I'd make a big salad and try a small piece of pizza. But I was so tired... I just ate pizza instead.

Its so funny how my brain was going back and forth trying to rationalize or not rationalize eating it. It wasn't that good (too much crust). But I still ate it.

Today is a new day, but I have to say that setback has bothered me more than I thought it would. I'm feeling a little low this morning.

Can I dehydrate in my oven? I want a dehydrator, a vita-mix, a spiralizer, an Alissa Cohen cookbook, a food processor, a.... oh wait, I need to go read tweetybirds siggy.
#96 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 10:05 AM

That's funny! You can dehydrate in your oven if it's electric. Use a 60 watt bulb in place of the oven light and just leave that on. Not efficient, but it does the trick.
It's important not to beat yourself up about slips. Slips, in my mind, are a tool. You don't feel good afterward (physically) which reaffirms what you are doing. A couple of slips was all it took to reprogram this little doggie!
Funny how cooked food just tastes...dull. Tweetybirds2-are you dehydrating meats and things? I know you are an NTer...are you just using dairy and eggs raw now or have you attempted jerky of some kind? My dh really wants me to make some...I'm so not on board with that right now
#97 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
My kiddos are both very high raw. SOme days 100%, others 95%. It's their choice. For awhile I made two dishes, one cooked, one raw and presented both. They inevitably would not even touch the cooked. They just don't like it. I do give them free range eggs, though. And last weekend they chose to try some grass fed beef at my parents house. I try to just let them do what they want to and let their bodies lead them. It's worked for us so far!
i love your approach

Mommy&Will try & take it easy on yourself, your doing great

last night we made, whipped cream (almonds oj honey)
layered w/cranberrys, mashed and marinated
in oj and honey

this a.m. I'm having cream of buckwheat cereal (cooked) and rooibos w/chicory tea ,,,its very calming and I feel good when I eat it.

i'm going to put together "real toast" and get that in the dehydrator,,,I soaked the spelt and black eyed peas last night.

blessings~~~

dust.gif
#98 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 03:33 PM

We had the yummiest (and prettiest) breakfast. I made seasoned hashbrowns from some baked potatoes and with that we had a mostly raw - cashew pimiento "cheese" sauce. Then we had a plate of fresh fruits. It was so colorful and delicious - yellow bananas, green apples, orange tangerines, and red strawberries - raw food at its simplest and best! The kiddos chowed down - they ate every piece of fruit on the plate and I had to chop up more!
#99 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will
Can I dehydrate in my oven? I want a dehydrator, a vita-mix, a spiralizer, an Alissa Cohen cookbook, a food processor, a.... oh wait, I need to go read tweetybirds siggy.
I do need that to remember simplicity. I was wondering if dehydrating would work with the 60 watt bulb..that's how I made yogurt and it stays at a good temp-110-I just wasn't sure if the fan or air circulation is necessary or not. I'd try it out!

Quote:
Tweetybirds2-are you dehydrating meats and things? I know you are an NTer...are you just using dairy and eggs raw now or have you attempted jerky of some kind? My dh really wants me to make some...I'm so not on board with that right now
No, just eggs and milk for now, although I had gone in on 1/4 cow, and it should be ready next week. I told them to make some of it into jerky so I can make some. I'd like to try it with the liver too. Sorry if this meat eating talk grosses anyone out here. I prefer to get most of my animal product needs from eggs and milk as no killing is necessary, but I'm not against eating a little meat sparingly.

I'm doing the simple route today. I've had pineapple, and made juice.

Quote:
last night we made, whipped cream (almonds oj honey)
layered w/cranberrys, mashed and marinated
in oj and honey
That sounds great!
#100 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 06:56 PM

What's for dinner?

I've been raw all day. I want to end simply. I would be up for juicing something. I have tons of baby spinach.
#101 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

I need to eat up some lettuce, so I'll probably have a salad, maybe try a new dressing in Alissa's book.

Well, I've been thinking and I feel like I've gotten the kick start I've needed to get back in gear and on top of things eating-wise around here. My goal is to always stay close to at least 80% raw. I don't feel like I need to put pressure on myself to do it completely anymore, so i'm just going to take these new things I've learned and add them to my life and we'll see how it goes from here! Thank you all so much for giving me the motivation and help I've needed!
#102 of 138 Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 PM

Today was a great Raw day! The weather was wonderful here, and that really helped.
I ate a TON of fruit today, zucchini linguini, salad etc. My almond butter just got here from the co-op along with my eggs and more coconuts so I have the "staples" I was out of. I think I'll try coconut egg nog tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
Great job Tweetybirds2! I am doing the 30 day challenge, but not sure if I'm going to finish. I love the way I feel, and as long as it continues to be convenient-great. I think my long-term plan is to be between 90 and 95%. It's how I feel best. I'm glad you found your comfort zone! You can still hang out here and be mostly raw! We'd miss you!
#103 of 138 Old 03-31-2006, 11:43 AM

I just had a smoothie with almond milk, acai, banana, blueberries and a little raw honey. Yum!

ColoradoMama, that breakfast sounds yummy. How do you make that cheese sauce?

Tweetybirds2, it sounds like you've found a good balance that is going to work for you. I'm still on that path, for sure. Thank you for helping me jump start this endeavor. I hope you pop in and chat with us now and then! Actually, I don't want you to leave at all but do what you need to do, sister.
#104 of 138 Old 03-31-2006, 01:50 PM

Hi Mama's,
Soo yesterday I was only about 50% raw, way off of my 80% goal, starting off good today, just made a pitcher of Almond milk and had a shot of that. I also made vanilla nut cream and ate that with some berries. DS loves that too.

Colorado Mama, how do you make the pimiento nut cheese sauce? I have been wanting to make nut cheese in general any recipies or tips would be appreciated. I heard cashews are the best for making cheese.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#105 of 138 Old 03-31-2006, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragment! I'm not ready to let go quite that much yet!
I'm glad you had a good day yesterday-ff-and thanks for bringing up the weather. I was so up and down, I didn't even think of the huge effect it has on me.
Anyway, I'm going to try the collard or cabbage rolls today. And eat lots of fruit and make some raw egg nog.
I hope you all have a good day and weekend!
#106 of 138 Old 03-31-2006, 08:18 PM

Well, raw mamas, I think maybe you could help me out here. I've been looking at dehydrators and the excalibur model is looking to be the most comprehensive. But I see that they use polycarbonate in their trays and teflon in their teflex sheets. Not too thrilled about either of those options. For those who use this model does the food to be dried go right onto the polycarbonate or does it go on a mesh sheet on top of that? And what is the mesh made of? And with the teflex it appears from the picture that the food does actually go right on to that.
#107 of 138 Old 03-31-2006, 09:35 PM

Excalibur is releasing new models that do not use teflon. There was a dehydrator thread not too long ago...maybe do a title search in N&GE. Someone posted about a dehydrator that is all stainless steel. Sounded expensive! I know people who use the excalibur and son't use the teflex trays...they just put their food on parchment. Beyond that...I'm pretty new to the dehydrating action.
#108 of 138 Old 03-31-2006, 11:04 PM

checking in...we froze some of the "whipped cream" and it made a yummy ice cream, I wanted to tell you mamas how dd said she liked the desert and ice cream more than regular ice cream and she is a big ice cream lover so I was pleased by that.

last night we made seed pate' and carrot pate' wrapped in nori everyone including our dog loved it.

today we havent been all that raw since we have been out a lot...contemplating what to eat for dinner. have a great weekend all~~

carnelian (beautiful name)~ I have a Le Quip and have teflex sheets which I've been feeling like I dont want to use anymore (thx for the reminder). Most dehydrators are plastic unless you have lots of $$ it would seem. You could try making your own electric one or a hanging wire one. I feel okay having the parchment barrier, you dehydrate at such low temps that I dont get hugely concerned over it myself. hope that is somewhat helpful.

dust.gif
#109 of 138 Old 04-01-2006, 08:23 PM

Thanks mamas for the parchment idea. It seems plausible but I wonder if the stickier things like breads and such would be a problem when removing them from the paper.

I agree the steel ones are $$!
#110 of 138 Old 04-01-2006, 11:25 PM

I need some help.

I am doing great eating raw all day until dinner. Then I end up tired, bored, looking for a boost and falling into old patterns of emotional eating. I need some suggestions for raw dinners that leave you satisfied. I am probably not eating enough during the day. I am never hungry during the day, though. I've been drinking carrot juice around lunch time and that seems to stay with me a long time. In fact, I've enjoyed a couple days of just juicing and not eating. Is this a bad trend that is leading to cravings at night? Or is it something else?

Any suggestions other than to tell me to suck it up and just get more willpower?

I know I'm not going to be 100% raw forever, but I would like to really give it a better shot than this - at least for a couple months.
#111 of 138 Old 04-02-2006, 11:22 AM

This may not help...but for me it was very psychological. I just felt like I needed something heavy at the end of the day. So for the first few weeks I did just that. I made raw nut burgers, sesame noodles (raw of course!), any kind of pasta really, or pates that I would use for sushi. After about two weeks I was used to raw enough that I didn't feel that need any longer and was fine just snacking all day. Sometimes just a shake would do it, other times a big salad or even just raw veggies with dip (raw hummus or something)

It's not really about will power, IMO. IT's more about changing your perceptions. Most of us are used to a big dinner, so it's a preconceived notion that just needs to be done away with.

You are doing a great job! And don't feel like there's a ton of pressure. If you want to do this for yourself, just remind yourself how great you feel everytime you are preparing yummy food! And if variety is your biggest problem there are plenty of great sites with free ideas!
#112 of 138 Old 04-02-2006, 12:16 PM

julie~

my thoughts are to do what nurtures your body, not eating out of boredom or emotional reasons but maybe some yoga and deep breathing when you are feeling this way then you can be in a more centered place to know what you need be that a raw food/cooked food/nofood. are you sleeping okay at night?

i've had similar experiences where i did not want to eat during the day then at night i would want to eat everything...i wasnt in a very balanced state at the time especially my blood sugar,,,i'm much more heathy and balanced now on a balanced non extreme diet.

dust.gif
#113 of 138 Old 04-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Thanks so much for the replies firefaery and mysticmama! It got me thru the day yesterday, really! I had a nearly 100% raw day, except for the little dolmas I ate off the salad bar at Whole Foods at lunchtime. : )

I made the cooked dinner last night for my family, and then made up a tropical shake with oranges, bananas, pineapples and coconut water. It was so yummy and tasted just like my favorite rum drink sans the rum!

I have garbanzo beans soaking to make some raw hummus tomorrow, and sunflower seeds to make some yogurt.

I also want to make some nori rolls this week. That would be a delicious dinner for me.
#114 of 138 Old 04-03-2006, 05:30 PM

Julie - the pimiento cashew "cheese" isn't all raw. It has a lot of raw ingredients. I don't know, maybe you could play with it to make it raw. Here's the recipe the way I make it. (The original recipe is from "The Seventh-day Diet by Chris Rucker.)

1/4 to 1/2 C water (the original recipe calls for one cup, but I think that makes it WAY too runny)
1C raw cashews, rinsed
1 4oz jar pimientos, drained
1/4 C nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp unhulled sesame seeds
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp "beef" broth powder (the original recipe calls for something called Bakon seasoning)
I put everything in my food processor and process it until it is creamy and smooth. Recipe says that it will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for about 10 days.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I've been off the Internet for a few days since I've had family visiting.
#115 of 138 Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 PM

Okay, I have a question about Goji berries. I've read wonderful things about them. I bought some at Whole Foods in their bulk section, and all I can say is "BLECH!" Am I doing something wrong? Do you have to do something with them first? Maybe it was a bad batch? Does anyone have experience with Goji berries? They sounded so good.
#116 of 138 Old 04-04-2006, 07:43 PM

I dunno. We love them. We eat them all the time, and the kids prefer gojis to raisins. We get them from NFL.
#117 of 138 Old 04-04-2006, 08:35 PM

Are the ones you eat usually soft like raisins? These were really hard.
#118 of 138 Old 04-04-2006, 09:18 PM

No, they are definitely harder. But you can soak them to plump them up. We never make it that far.
#119 of 138 Old 04-04-2006, 11:34 PM

I've only had goji berries in the Cliff Nectar Bars, they are sweet and chewy w/all the dates in the bar, I love them that way. I've been tempted to buy some, they look so pretty

~ ~ ~ ~

my energy was so low today from the coffee/chickory I've been drinking lately...yesterday I used that as a quick energy booster to keep myself going with all the things I wanted to accomplish and today I paid for it, I'm feeling high energy now after having raw dinner.

I made daikon noodles and pesto sauce which was so good...I really liked the daikon...more than I expected.

We did some juicing and made more nutcreme and berries...we are overflowing with citrus today and with all the other produce around here I'm feeling like my body would do really well high raw or maybe even all raw for a bit blessings~~

p.s
I got this in an email today~

ONCE IN A LIFETIME

Early on wednesday, at two minutes, three seconds after 1:00 in the morning, the time and date will be,
01:02:03 04/05/06

dust.gif
#120 of 138 Old 04-08-2006, 01:19 AM

Hello out there!

I just had the most easy, amazing sweet treat. A date with almond butter smeared inside of it. Oh my. Yummy!

How's everyone doing?

I've had more cooked food the past few days as I need to go to the grocery store. But I still feel happy overall with how I am doing. I'm juicing almost daily, and really just keeping it simple.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page