How about an MDC Spring Raw Challenge? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 138 Old 04-08-2006, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, my fridge is full of fresh organic produce so I have no excuse. And now I've made myself accountable
#122 of 138 Old 04-08-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will
Hello out there!

I just had the most easy, amazing sweet treat. A date with almond butter smeared inside of it. Oh my. Yummy!

How's everyone doing?

I've had more cooked food the past few days as I need to go to the grocery store. But I still feel happy overall with how I am doing. I'm juicing almost daily, and really just keeping it simple.
hi

same here w/cooked and needing groceries...feeling well though.

blessings all~~

dust.gif
#123 of 138 Old 04-08-2006, 07:55 PM

I decided to join ya'll and I made something awesome!

A seviche!

It had raw tuna which was cured in a limejuice/cilantro/garlic/salt dressing.

Oy - does curing count??????

I also made a raw corn/tomato/shallot and basil salad. Too...die...for.
#124 of 138 Old 04-08-2006, 09:26 PM

please share how to cure tuna and what exactly does that mean??

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#125 of 138 Old 04-08-2006, 09:37 PM

mmmm the tuna sounds good...i've always wanted to try marinading it like that, could you share the recipe?

I'm snacking on raw goat cheese and olives that are just about finished curing

dust.gif
#126 of 138 Old 04-09-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamapits
please share how to cure tuna and what exactly does that mean??
I'd love to

I cured it in lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and salt. I love my tuna raw so I didn't cure for very long (about an hour). You can also cure salmon this way and shrimp as well but I *personally* would not eat raw shrimp even it if is cured. I know lots of people who do but it is not my cup of tea.

You can also cure by soaking in lemon juice.

Enjoy!

P.S. Is it still considered "raw" if it's cured? I assume so but you never know....
#127 of 138 Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 AM

hows everyone doing?

I made a really good fruit salad tonight w/ blueberries, raspberries, apple, avocado, soaked wild rice, lime, orange juice and birds eye chili pepper mmmm I'll be making this again...dd loved it, minus the rice, juice and chili.

dust.gif
#128 of 138 Old 04-20-2006, 09:44 AM

Went to Whole Foods a few days ago and came home with a cart full of yummy looking produce! Made a tomato salad that was pretty yummy. I used four or five different tomatoes, spinach, fresh basil, red onion, and avocado (I also put in tofu!), and then put olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and mixed it all up. Next time I would leave off the avocado. I love avocado, but it just didn't taste that good in the salad. We had that for lunch with a bunch of sliced up fruit! I also came home with a canary melon that is very sweet - it wasn't organic, but it just looked too good to pass up! The kids and I have been devouring it! (DH doesn't like melons - go figure - so we eat them a lot when he's out of town)
#129 of 138 Old 04-20-2006, 09:47 AM

I have a question - what is Rejuvilac? I saw it in a recipe that I really want to try, and I have NO idea what it is.
#130 of 138 Old 04-20-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Rejuvalac is a fermented drink that is just the soaking water from wheat sprouts. You can use other grains as well.
Glad you all are still doing so well, all the recipes you are trying sound so great! I've noticed that I tend to naturally do high raw for breakfast and lunch, dinner usually has at least a raw vegetable or salad, so that's where I'm at with raw-not really concentrating on it anymore though!
#131 of 138 Old 04-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama
Okay, I have a question about Goji berries. I've read wonderful things about them. I bought some at Whole Foods in their bulk section, and all I can say is "BLECH!" Am I doing something wrong? Do you have to do something with them first? Maybe it was a bad batch? Does anyone have experience with Goji berries? They sounded so good.
Maybe you did get a bad batch...W.F's is really good about taking stuff back if you still have them ? anyway wanted to mention that we got a snack size bag from W.F's the other day and ate them up fast they were really good...dd liked them too. They were soft and slightly sweet on the inside,,,I got a Goji high (tingly) after eating a bunch of them ...definitely will get more.

dust.gif
#132 of 138 Old 04-20-2006, 09:06 PM

Tweetybirds2 - Thanks for the info! Is that something I can buy at the HFS? You know, some days are really good for getting raw foods into the diet - others not so good. BUT - I'm noticing that I am consistently getting more into the diet, so that's good!

Mysticmama - I guess I'll have to try the Goji berries again! You're not the only one who responded that they're really good! WFs is good about taking stuff back - I should have, but I didn't think about it. I tossed them in the trash.
#133 of 138 Old 04-22-2006, 12:10 AM

I'm mostly raw for breakfast and lunch. Or at least usually. I've been eating cooked hummus this week though. I tried to sprout garbanzo beans and it didn't go so well.

I'm eating cooked dinners with the family. And right now I am really wishing for a late night snack... popcorn. Dang hormonal cravings.

I am going to a raw food class in a couple weeks. I can't wait!
#134 of 138 Old 04-22-2006, 10:23 AM

M&W,
I have had raw hummus. I didn't Luv it like the cooked stuff. The raw food class I went to was good for the fact I got to see and taste what some of the recipes are supposed to be like.

I have not been meeting my 80% raw goal but I am thinking about doing a mini raw cleanse. Maybe like 4 days or so. Only blended raw food, nothing solid.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#135 of 138 Old 04-22-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Mysticmama - I guess I'll have to try the Goji berries again! You're not the only one who responded that they're really good! WFs is good about taking stuff back - I should have, but I didn't think about it. I tossed them in the trash.
bummer!

I've heard from a few people that they didnt like the raw hummus...I didnt care for it much either.

dust.gif
#136 of 138 Old 04-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Has anyone sprouted grains? Can you tell me about it? It seems a little involved, but I'd love to hear from someone who does it. TIA!
#137 of 138 Old 04-22-2006, 11:02 PM

Ihave sprouted a few times. You just have to keep an eye on it and change the water.

I start out soaking with plenty of water above the grains. Alot of the water will get soaked up and the grains will plump a bit. Drain and rinse and then add more water but not too much this time.You want to keep them damp but not totally covered with water. Change water every so often. I usually cover with a towel. too much water can make it mushy and they won't sprout.

#138 of 138 Old 04-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Has anyone sprouted grains? Can you tell me about it? It seems a little involved, but I'd love to hear from someone who does it. TIA!
Here is a link that will tell you everything you wanted and might not want to know about sprouting...http://www.sproutpeople.com/grow/sprouting.html

Note: While you want the seed/grain still damp after it's all night soak...you do NOT want them sitting in any amount of water. They will rot, not sprout.

My favorite and super easy way to sprout wheat/spelt/rye is to put about two cups of the grain in a large ceramic/glass bowl. I fill with clean, spring water until grain is covered. I put a plate on the top of the bowl and let this sit overnight.

Next morning, I pour the grain through one of those cheap wire mesh strainers you can buy at most grocery stores (about a 4 cup capacity size). I then rinse the grain in tap water while in the strainer. This removes any toxins and by products from the soaking.

I then set the strainer, with grain inside, back over the top of the large bowl. I place the plate over the top. I usually check it once or twice during the day to give a quick rinse and to dump any water that collected in the bottom of the bowl.

Wheat kernals will have little 'tails' and be ready to use by that evening...some grains take a bit longer, and some a bit shorter. Garbazano beans and lentils will work using this method too.

Smaller seeds won't work, as they can go through the strainer holes. But a glass jar with a piece of plastic or nylon mesh (a clean old stocking works) for small seeds. I tilt the jar on it's side, laying on a cookie sheet (with rim to catch any water) and put the bottom end on a towel. You just want air circulation and for any water clinging to the seeds to keep draining. You can easily rinse them this way. Several times a day is recommended....remember, DAMP seeds, not soaking in water.

Also, do NOT put too much seeds in the jar to start, it makes way more than you think it will...start with maybe a 1/4 cup or less. You can always make more the next time.

BTW, great to see a Raw Foods group here! I have done much experimenting and really do feel awesome when mostly raw. I'm pregnant again and have been too lazy to make most of the stuff I really like, but am still eating about 50% raw for this pregnancy. It REALLY helps the digestive slow down you get from being pregnant!

xenabyte

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page