avocado assistance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-18-2003, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom never ever bought an avocado that I can remember and I decided to start buying them, but I do not know much about them. The second thing I learned ( a nice lady in the store helped me pick some out, so that was the first thing) was that after cutting them up, they get spots if you don't eat them right away. I had used half for a salad for lunch and had refrigerated the other half for supper. Big mistake - maybe. I ate it anyway. Was that wrong? I did not want to waste it. So what is up with the spots? Is there a way to avoid them? Is it cosmetic only? The second try, I cut it open and the top was hollow and darkand dry (not slimy). I thought, Oh, no, I wasted $1.29, but cutting down further, it looked better. This one already had spots due to the deay at the top, so I threw half away and ate the bottom, some of it with spots, figuring, I ate spots before, why not again. So that is the extent of my avocado experience, except for eating out. Any tips?
BTW, if you have any tips on sprouting an avocado seed, please see my thread in Digging. Thanks.
#2 of 5 Old 02-18-2003, 02:23 PM

Avacados should be a creamy yellowish-greenish color with no spots and no brown around the seed. They should also be soft when gently squeezed. The spots are bruising from rough handeling, like with an apple. Sometimes you can just cut them out. If you can only eat a half of one at a time, brush some lemon juice on the half you aren't going to eat, keep it in the skin with the seed in it. And put in an airtight container or vacuum seal it. I love avacados, they are so good for you. My dd loves them too. They are expensive, but I can buy a package of 4 for $4 here in TN at Sam's Club.

To sprout the seed, get a small jar filled with water, and some toothpicks. Place the toothpicks in the middle of the seed in 3 different spots so you can rest the seed on top of the jar with its bottom half in the water. Keep the water clean and fresh.

Mine took about 3 months to sprout.
#3 of 5 Old 02-19-2003, 02:52 AM

I was laughing at myself while thinking of a reply to your post because I cannot remember the last time I had any extra to save for later!!!
I am a pig and an addict...
Try one with cumin and salt, it is like a little meal to go!!!!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#4 of 5 Old 02-19-2003, 06:07 AM

my favourite way to keep avocados from browning after cutting open is to recover them with their own skin (esp if I have no lemons to drizzle over the cut surface)

we eat them like this if not using the whole thing at once - cut off the top (the stalk end, like topping a boiled egg) and scoop out as much as you want to use, scooping from the cut top first, then replace the empty "lid" on the rest and refrigerate. A good avocado can last a few days like this
#5 of 5 Old 02-20-2003, 12:58 AM

a little T

I gotta admit, I never did understand the point of getting the avocado seed to sprout. Growing up, we always had an avocado seed in the window with toothpicks and slimy water. Sure it sprouted, but then what? I think my mom was always planting those things, but do you think we ever gopt an avocado tree. Nope.

Then this past Christmas, i was throwing away an avocado seed and my MIL said (horrified) you're not going to sprout that?!) Um, no. I prefer not to have slimy water on my windowsill.

Can someone shed some light on that?

BTW I like to leave the avocado in the skin and fill the hole left by the seed with Italian dressing and eat it with a spoon right out of the shell. Yum.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page