Mothering Forum banner

Pinto Bean Soup

846 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  jenP 
#1 ·
Oops, I guess I hit the new thread button instead of post reply. These were all supoosed to be in the "Is it worth it to get a crockpot if we're vegetarian" thread!

Rinse two cups dry pinto beans and place in crock with water to cover plus about an inch. Add:
1 small onion, chopped and/or a leek, white and some of the green, slivered
2 or 3 cloves garlic, diced
1 med. potato, diced
1 lg carrot, sliced
about 20 crimini mushrooms, quartered
2 tsp salt
little bit of ginger puree
2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dry cilantro

cook on low about 8 hours. Add can of diced tomatoes, a splash of sherry or red vinegar, and a splash of lemon juice, stir and turn up to high for about an hour.
(If you add the tomatoes at the beginning the beans won't soften properly.)

See less See more
#2 ·
put a small can or half a large can of sauerkraut in the bottom of the crock. Add a few sliced potatoes, sliced onions, and about half a pound of seitan and/or not-dogs or whatever other fake meat you think would be good. Put more kraut on top, sprinkle with caraway seeds if you like, and pour on some white wine. Cook on low all day.

#3 ·
Rinse 1 1/2 c black turtle beans and put in crock with water to cover plus just a little. Add:
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 a small onion, diced fine
1 tsp dry cilantro
1 tsp salt (adjust if your chili powder has salt in it)
1 tsp black pepper
1 TB margarine or corn oil

cook on low all day. Coarsely mash beans with a potato masher, add a TB or so cider vinegar. Tste and adjust seasonings and if neccessary let it cook a little more and mash some more.

Good in tacos or over rice (DH can't eat corn or wheat these days so no tacos)

#4 ·
You can cook about any bean in the crock pot without pre-soaking. Just rinse and place in the pot with lots of water and cook on low for around 8or ten hours. I think the cooking is so slow, it is like soaking and cooking at the same time. Then the beans are ready to be drained and used for baked beans, hummus, or whatever.

Happy eating!

Jen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.