homemade yogurt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2003, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to start making our own yogurt, please help. I am good in the kitchen, so if I have some directions, I think I will be able to do it!

Thanks!

Megan

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2003, 08:47 PM

here are several "recipes" for yogurt. (I have found it fun to make) Alton Brown's yogurt Recipe

and a few others
yogurt

there are several different ways to "make" yogurt. You can use a thermos, a heating pad, or your oven set very low to culture the milk. In my experience buy a good whole milk yogurt with active cultures to make your "mahdzoon" (starter) & use very clean utinsels/containers.(you don't want "dirty bacteria" competing with your good yogurt cultures) You can buy regular yogurt as a starter just get one with out gelatin (ew!) and you can also freeze the store bought stuff to use later in other batches(it doesn't harm the cultures). Supposedly the yogurt decreases as a suitable starter each "generation" you make.
I eventually bought a yogurt maker on ebay. (and am playing with flavoring now)
Old 02-19-2003, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I found one that looks good, I am going to try tomorow!

Megan

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 02-21-2003, 12:01 AM

Let us know how it went! Yoghurt is one of those weird things -- some people seem to be unable to get it right no matter what they do. For me, it has always been no problem. I even used to make it in my college dorm room by filling a large bowl w/ hot water from the shower, setting my milk + yog. for starter in a jar in the water and wrapping the whole she-bang in a big bath towel. I did usually put fresh hot water in once or twice.

My poor roommate......
Old 02-21-2003, 04:37 PM

from kitchenemporium.com (http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...d/18slym9.html).

I have used both plain commercial yogurt as well as Yogourmet yogurt starter. The starter resulted in a firmer yogurt.

I have also make soy yogurt. There seemed to be no difference in firmness whether I used plain commercial soy yogurt or the starter.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:34 PM

I make my own yogurt. I have a yogurt maker, but I have also heard a good idea of heating the milk and starter, filling a cooler with hot water, letting it cool to the right temp, and then closing the whole thing up.
I get the best results when I boil my milk first. This denatures the proteins enough that you get the right structure when the cultures take a good hold. Otherwise, put in 1/3 cup dry (not instant) milk for every 2 cups milk.
I need a little help with my soy yogurt though. It just doesn't turn out. Any tips?
Old 02-22-2003, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RasJane
I need a little help with my soy yogurt though. It just doesn't turn out. Any tips?
I have read in my "More-With-Less" cookbook by Doris Longacre to add one enveleope of unflavored gelatin in 1/4 cup water, then warm it to dissolve it, and then stir well into 1 qt yogurt (this is for curing the watery separation but it also makes it thicker).

Otherwise practice makes perfect eh?

Warmly,
Debra
Old 02-24-2003, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

My first attempt failed, but I haven't given up. Please tell me how you get your best results.

I boiled the milk, then added the yogurt, then wrapped it in a towel and left it on the counter, but it turned out to be a big bowl of milk! Opps!

Please help!

M

Old 02-25-2003, 11:28 AM

I've experimented a lot. Here is my current favorite method:

Bring 1 quart of whole milk to a boil.
Put in a cool water bath until the milk is 115 degrees F.
Meanwhile, boil a teakettle of water and pour the boiling water into the glass/stainless steel container that you are using (this sterilizes, but also warms the container).
Put 4 Tbl. of yogurt in a bowl.
Dump out the boiling water and dry container with a clean towel.
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees for 2 minutes, then turn the oven off.
When the milk is cool enough mix 1/2 cup of warm milk with the yogurt and whisk. Whisk all of the milk and the yogurt in your clean container.
Cover and sit in the warm oven for 5 hours.

I used to make it overnight, but 5 hours is the perfect time- it doesn't get very sour. You can also add some dry milk to the milk/yogurt mixture, which makes it thicker.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.
-jeanie

By the way,
Some yogurt makes a better starter than others. I buy Butterworks Farm yogurt when I don't have time to make it cause its yummy- but it makes a lousy starter. Stoneyfield whole milk yogurt makes the best starter...

User Tag List