Are there any alternatives??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-20-2003, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a problem.

My dh and I are trying to eat healthier. We especially want our dd to have the very best. She is 14mo now and we started her on solids when she was 11-1/2mo. I still breastfeed her also. We were lucky enough to find a store that sold organic baby food and a couple of other organic foods. But they have a limited variety and dd is starting to get bored. So far she has had regular organic rice & pasta, orgainc lentils, organic oatmeal, frozen organic carrots & peas and organic "cheerios". I am not too creative so now I am running out of ideas.

But the REAL problem is that I have nowhere to get any organic fruits (only frozen blueberries & strawberries). I would like to give her fresh fruits and vegetables. Are any non-organic fuits & vegetables "safe" or "close enough"???. Is there a list of the least contaminated (regular) foods that I can use to choose wisely?? What about when I prepare her food... is there a way to lessen or eliminate any of the toxins by pealing or steaming??

For now I guess we're stuck with just a few organic foods to choose from so I must learn to be creative. Any ideas for baby foods, recipes, baby cook books?

Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 02-20-2003, 12:17 PM

There is a website www.ewg.org (the environmental working group) who publishes a "dirty dozen" list of the 12 worst pesticided fruits and vegetables. You should check it out. These are things you should always try to get organic. Strawberries are always number one. Apples are also on the list so try to get those organic. Apples seem to always be available year round so you should be apple to find them. If not, you can probably find organic, unsweetened applesauce and that makes good baby food in a pinch. Mix it with rice, oatmeal, potatoes etc or just plain.

I wrote a baby food cookbook which was just released in December called Simply Natural Baby Food. You can check out my site for tips and recipes at www.simplynaturalbooks.com.

At that age, she can eat mostly what you are eating but go slowly as she is just starting. Sounds like you are giving her a nice variety. Don't forget fats though - omega-3 fatty acids are important as well as calcium and iron. I recomend people grind up nuts and seeds in a coffee grinder and mix it into oatmeal, applesauce, etc. to get those fats and minerals. If you do dairy, organic yogurt might be a good choice too.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 10 Old 02-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Banned

I can't help you with the organics issue. However, re baby food, after feeding dd rice cereal about three times, we just started giving her pureed versions of what we ate (with the exceptions of nuts, carrots, and leafy green vegetables till after 12 months - we still don't give her nuts, at 21 months, generally). She hated the disgusting rice cereal, and generally eats everything we do, now. Some things she prefers more than others (beans and lentils in almost any form are always a big hit, she loves broccoli and fruit of all kinds, and will devour as much pate as we can feed her). By 14 months, we just cut up everything very finely and fed it to her. No problems. She also loves garlic and, in moderation, pepper and chiles as spices (cumin is also a favorite flavoring).
#4 of 10 Old 02-20-2003, 03:22 PM

we used the Super Baby Food book, and really liked it (cathe your book wasnt out when lylly was an infant, but i plan on getting it when we have our next!). it had so many ideas and was really great about incorporating vegan and vegetarian things in.
#5 of 10 Old 02-20-2003, 04:08 PM

Don't know where you live, but have you looked into whether you have farmer's markets around, at least in the summer and fall? That would be a good place to look for organic fruits/veggies, and if you were able to find some you could do some canning or freezing to have some fruit available year-round.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 10 Old 02-22-2003, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Cathe- Your book sounds interesting, I will be getting one. Thanks for the links. I really like the coffee grinder idea but I don't know what nuts are apropriate for her or how much to mix into her oatmeal, applesauce, etc. Any tips?

Marlena- Good ideas. Garlic....never thaught of that! Dd loves lentils but she is not too fond of broccoli. BTW why don't you give your dd any nuts? Are you affraid of allergies or choking?

Branwyn- The book you mentioned also sounds helpful. I could use lots of ideas.

Jane- We live in Puerto Rico. I can get bananas, guavas, coconuts, papayas, oranges, grapefruit, breadfruit, avocados, yams,and aquash in my parents back yard (when in season). But apples, pears, grapes, peaches, plums, berries, broccoli, spinach, celery and other fruits & vegetables don't grow down here (I think). Organic foods aren't popular here either. The markets that I have visited buy their things from other farmers and there is no way of knowing if they are organic or not, kwim?

Does anyone know where I should go, who I should ask or how to start my search for an Organic Farmer's Market???

Thanks.
#7 of 10 Old 02-22-2003, 01:21 PM

if you know of any environmental groups down there, they are usually good sources of info, could probably let you know about org growers/sellers.

also, organic trade assoc always has lots of info http://www.ota.com

good luck
#8 of 10 Old 02-22-2003, 02:59 PM

My favorite nuts for kids (or anyone) are almonds. They are high in calcium and iron. Sesame seeds contain very absorbable calcium too. I also like sunflower seeds. Flax seeds and walnuts contain omega-3 essential fatty acids which are so important for children for brain and nervous system development. (Olive and flax oils also contain this fat and can be used instead of butter on toast or veggies.)

I am not a big peanut fan - can be allergenic and not so much nutrition. We use almond butter or tahini (sesame butter) instead of peanut butter.

So, place a handful of nuts and/or seeds into coffee grinder. Mix about a teaspoon of ground mixture into 1 serving of applesauce or oatmeal. By the way, oatmeal, applesauce and nuts mixed together is very good - even for adults!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#9 of 10 Old 02-22-2003, 03:15 PM

Kakies, a wonderful resource may be a buying club if there's a wholesale distributer in your area. We lived in a very rural area of VT & didn't have many options when it came to "affordable" organic produce.

We learned about a buying club through our midwife & joined a large group of ppl who bought bulk goods through a distributer. Organic produce has a much longer shelf life than nonorganic which means buying in bulk will save you $, not to mention health benefits. The buying club was beautiful; a large cooperative of folks buying our food together once a month, even splitting cases of items.

We moved out of state & I found a new distributer by searching online & recieved their cataloge but the club in our area is no longer together & I'd have to start a new one which I may do when I have the time. Until then we're buying organic produce that's in season.We'll go w/o certain things until we can find organic, like grapes. I pass up the imported stuff if I can afford to.

I prefer as much local produce as possible. The fresher the better. So many vital nutrients are lost in shipping of produce. Therefore in winter months we're limited to certain fruits. Apples, oranges, banannas are readily available in the winter here, & we'll go w/o some until it's in season again.

Frozen berries are wonderful in smoothies. I buy the silken tofu & blend it w/ fruit, soymilk & juice, & adding protien powder. This can be frozen into pops too. Our kids love them when they're sick.

(To eliminate pesticide resudue from nonorganic produce, always peel it if you can.)
#10 of 10 Old 02-22-2003, 03:41 PM

blueberrymamma, you're reading my mind. iwas just thinking this morning how i would like to start a buying club in my area, we don't have one that i know of, but i belonged to one when i lived in new orleans & it was wonderful

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page