Can you make yogurt with rice milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-04-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, all you yogurt and kefir makers, does yogurt work using rice or oat milk? And, is there a starter you can use that is non-dairy and non-soy?

Clearly I am a total newbie at yogurt-making. I used to make my own yogurt pre-kids but it was dairy and I had a yogurt maker. Have never done it without a yogurt maker, and we are now on diet restrictions, and I am missing my yogurt!!

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 04-04-2006, 06:41 PM

I don't think you can. I did a search on www.dogpile.com, and found some people saying it didn't work, and one person theorized that it could possibly be dangerous. I guess there is certain bacteria on rice, that thrive at yogurt-making temps.
But you can make it with almond milk, I'm pretty sure. I think you may have to add a bit of honey, for the yogurt cultures to eat. I'm going to try it tomorrow- I'm soaking my almonds to make milk today.

hth

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#3 of 7 Old 04-04-2006, 09:00 PM

i dont think rice milk has enough protein or fat in it. i have tried with almond milk, and i havent had luck. i've made cathe's cashew yogurt and that was incredible, but that is with ground nuts, not milk. maybe ground almonds would work too?

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#4 of 7 Old 04-05-2006, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Well, that's disappointing that rice milk won't work. I was hoping for a nut-free option as well as soy and dairy free! I did see the cashew yogurt recipe in cathe's book, and almonds sounds good, too.

I saw there was no starter needed for the cashew yogurt- do the nuts already have the necessary bacteria in them?
#5 of 7 Old 04-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i tried it with rice milk one time and it just kinda separated and looked watery and yucky. maybe if you added some kinda protein, but i don't know what .

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#6 of 7 Old 04-05-2006, 10:14 PM

I've made cashew nut yogurt from recipes here: www.pecanbread.com

You need to use a starter and add honey for carbs for the buggies to eat.

It comes out kind of fluffy and thin though.
#7 of 7 Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i tried coconut milk yogurt. it works OK with coconut milk from a can but you have to spike it with a touch of honey (i don't recommend molasses - blech). at the end of 9 hours or so, i had something that resembled kefir. you can get powdered coconut milk from wildernessfamily.com (with powder you can control the powderater ratio) - that worked great except that i contaminated it and/or let it go too long (simultaneously letting it get too cool) and got red slime growing at the end of 24 hours. however, i'm sure that the process of making coconut milk powder must sweeten it because (a) it was sweet and (b) i didn't have to add any sweetener to feed the critters. i did get a nice texture though and a nice sour yogurt flavor.

i tried using almond milk. blech. though maybe again one needs to add a bit of sweetener.

a friend suggested adding pectin to help solidify these non-dairy yogurts. any thoughts on this?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page