Healthy Granola Bars - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-21-2003, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a recipe for healthy granola bars? I love my homemade granola, but a bar would be a little easier to eat on the go.
#2 of 5 Old 02-22-2003, 07:09 PM

Here's the granola bar recipes I have been working on for my next book. My family really likes them.

Granola Bars
These low fat, lightly sweetened bars are cooked at a low temperature to preserve the maximum amount of nutrients. They are great for snacks, breakfast on the run, or in lunch box.

3/4 cup raisins or chopped dried fruit
3 cups rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
½ cup honey, maple syrup, or brown rice syrup
1/3 cup peanut butter, almond butter, or tahini
¼ cup raisin soak water

Place raisins in small non-plastic bowl or measuring cup. Pour over just enough boiling water to cover fruit. Preheat oven to 250°. Oil a 9 x 13-inch baking dish Drain raisins but reserve soak water. In large mixing bowl, combine oats, seeds, coconut, cinnamon, and fruit. Place honey, nut or seed butter, and ¼ cup raisin soak water in small saucepan. Heat at low, stirring until smooth. Pour over oat mixture. Mix thoroughly. Press prepared baking dish. Bake for one hour. If crispy bars are preferred, bake an extra 15 minutes. Score into squares immediately upon removing from oven. Let cool. Bars will harden as they cool.

Yield: 18

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 5 Old 02-22-2003, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness! Those sound wonderful! You do cookbooks? I would love more info. I'm always trying so hard to find healthy, yummy family food but I'm a bit challanged in the kitchen! I'm working at it and getting better. In other words, any sources for healthy & good are welcome. Please let me know and thanks again!
#4 of 5 Old 02-22-2003, 07:58 PM

Yes, I wrote Simply Natural Baby Food: Easy Recipes for Delicious Meals Your Infant and Toddler will Love. But most of the recipes are good for the whole family. Go to my website www.simplynaturalbooks.com. I have another yummy recipe you might like for Raisin Bars with made with no sugar. Also, I have tips for getting your kids to eat healthtier. Click on TIPS.

You can also email me thru the contact Cathe link. I would be happy to answer questions or give you more ideas.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#5 of 5 Old 03-15-2003, 07:01 PM

Just wanted to let Cathe know that I made thes bars and they are wonderful, I have passed the recipes on to many people. thank you! I actually substituted rice/buckwheat flakes for the oat flakes since we are gluten intolerant, and they worked out great.
~holly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page