Morning Power drink/smoothie... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2003, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi There,

I'm looking for some recomendations for a morning drink, preferably like a smoothie that's going to give me energy, but is low in fat, and of course safe to drink while nursing.

I'd like to add a protein powder of some sort to it, but have no idea what to buy. Also thinking of adding flax for the omegas.

Can anyone post a recipe or a link to where I might find a good recipe. It doesn't necessarily have to be lo-cal since the drink would be my breakfast...I'm really needing to increase my protein/energy levels -- I'm waaay to fatigued to cope with my busy life! LOL...

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2003, 03:04 AM

the mama nog recipe http://www.mothering.com/recipes/mama-nog.shtml I don't go for the raw egg, tho. Even if I liked them I'd be leery of eating them raw.

When I was pg I was making a smoothie with, approx
1 cup juice/soy/rice/nut milk or whatever beverage you like
1 Tablespoon greens (spirulina, barley grass, etc)
1 Tablespoon Udo's oil( you could use any high omega oil you want, plain flax, evening primrose, or there are lots of other blends, but I really like Udo's)
1 Tablespoon protein powder-I like the soy or vegetable ones personally

& just blend it up. You can tinker with quantities, greens can taste strong if you're not used to them, but if you are used to them you might want more, & some protein powders suggest more, I usually went with serving size, & I usually put more oil, but not everyone wants an oily smoothie.

you could also try blending in yogurt, I've not tried it but the acidophilous is certainly good for you, & some like to toss in whole flax seeeds, if you have a blender that will grind them up a bit, or put them through a grinder first.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:54 PM

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
Old 02-22-2003, 05:15 PM

I had a yummy one this morning, but I never measure anything, I just throw it all in and it's always good.

rice milk
protein powder (heaping tablespoonful)
flax oil (about a tablespoon)
banana (or 2)
bunch of blueberries

I've also added pineapple, kiwi, and strawberries, depending on what's floating around.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kale is a great thing to add to your smoothie, especially while you are nursing - it's great to enhance your breastmilk and give you the extra vitamins and minerals you need. I have found pineapple juice and kale go especially well, if you make alsoSarah's recipe, add a handful of kale. Trust me, you won't taste it (the color is a little weird though).

Here is the Creamy Greens smoothie from my book Simply Natural Baby Food

1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
1 banana, frozen
1 handful kale
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes

The nutritional yeast adds extra protein and B vitamins, also good while pregnant or nursing.

Frozen bananas are a great way to add thickness, creaminess and sweetness to smoothies without sugar or ice cream.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 02-24-2003, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mmmmmmm!!! Thanks mamas, I am definitley excited about trying these recipes!

User Tag List