Do you use convenience foods? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-22-2003, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you make all your own food or do you use convenience foods?

Please make up your own definition for convenience foods. I used to think I made most things "from scratch" until my friend told me that her mom makes her own phyllo pastry because the stuff you buy at the store is too thick! Then I looked at my cupboard of factory made pasta and my freezer of meat butchered by someone other than me and thought that maybe I don't really cook "from scratch".

I also have kids who are addicted to those soups that come in the can with the red and white labels!

How about you?
#2 of 9 Old 02-22-2003, 06:13 AM

We have a lot of Amy's Burritos in the freezer; they are great when you are really hungry and you have kids that need you ASAP. My dh and ds#1 like Annie's mac and cheese (and I do too, but ds#2 cannot tolerate dairy). We buy frozen waffles (the ones with flax seed oil). Cereal is convenient.

I don't make my own bread or pasta.

Once a week, we get Dunkin Donuts for breakfast or I make Pillsbury Cinnamon buns (which are complete crap). We need our weekly fix of hydrogenated oil and who knows what else. That's our truly guilty pleasure.

Edited to add that we do eat take out once or twice a week, especially during those weeks when I am terribly sleep deprived.
#3 of 9 Old 02-22-2003, 06:59 PM

I try to make most things from scratch but I have relaxed a bit. With two kids, a farm to tend, books and articles to write, etc. - well, I need some time off too. I used to make my own bread and yogurt every other day, etc. but now I have struck a balance. I am pretty strict about packaged mixes and soups though, I don't like all the sodium, hydrogenated oils, etc. I occasionally by organic, non-hyrdogenated cookies and Amy's organic frozen pizzas for those lazy days . . .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#4 of 9 Old 02-22-2003, 10:40 PM

I would feed my kid Campbell's soup if he would eat it. There are lots of terrible and not so terrible processed things I would feed my kid if he would just eat them.

Me, I really like those packaged flavored oatmeals, especially the ones supposedly for women, with the extra soy stuff. I hate spending the money on it when even organic oatmeal is so cheap. I wait until we go on vacations and take the processed, artificially flavored, over sweetened non organic, probably GMO laced packets with me.

I tried mixing organic oatmeal with organic soy protein shake mix, but it just wasn't the same.
#5 of 9 Old 02-22-2003, 10:44 PM

Dare I add that I just ate a bowl of the ultimate bad processed food "Cocoa Pebbles" because in the past few days I already finished up the pan of homemade chocolate brownies and the bag of gourmet semi-sweet chocolate chips.
#6 of 9 Old 02-24-2003, 11:50 AM

me to make everything from scratch. we have become addicted to kashi's heart to heart cereal. as for dinner the other night dd had canned ravioli and has had the soup with 30% less salt. i don't feed her the regular ones, because they are so salty.
#7 of 9 Old 02-24-2003, 12:19 PM

I will fess up here. I work full time out of the house and do some work related travel and dh is back in school. Sometimes no one sees the house until 6pm.

I bought some Seeds of Change frozen bowls at the store yesterday (they are really really yummy), I will take those to lunch. I also am very guilty for buying things like Pierogies, waffles, and veggie burgers.

As much as we would all like to make from scratch, sometimes I think it is just too difficult to do all that cooking and remain sane. Before I had Sam, I didn't use prepackaged stuff much at all. Now, I use things a little more than I used to, but I still try to make healthy choices of the prepacked stuff I do buy. I think that is reasonable.
#8 of 9 Old 02-25-2003, 01:11 AM

I am so trying to move away from them, but frozen premades are norm. Whether it's a good week where we get healthier frozen meals (Amy's a rare delicious treat) or a normal week when the local store has their brand frozen pizza on sale, we eat alot of premade. Ds is going thru a clingy when Mamas at the stove stage, so I try non cooked stuff like sandwiches and fruit alot. But pizza and mac and cheese are too common. And DD hates Annies, only will eat cheap stuff! DH is a junk food junkie and has started living on salami and cheese, which nauseates me.

Point is, we go thru phases, depending on income. We are strapped financially now so a lit of $25 mac and cheese. When we were ok, it was Trader Joes more often.
#9 of 9 Old 02-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Banned

We purchase butchered meat, rather than raising and butchering our own. We don't mill our own flour. Most of the nuts we buy are already shelled. I purchase already-made granola and cereal. I purchase milk, cheese, butter, plain yoghurt, cream and ice cream, rather than owning dairy animals and making our own. We buy our beans and lentils already hulled and dried. We have many different sorts of pre-made hot sauce in our fridge. While we make and can our own chutneys and salsas, we also have some store-bought varieties. We purchase pre-dried fruit (raisins, apricots, cherries, etc.) and other pre-dried items, such as various hot peppers. Our spices are already dried and sometimes ground. We don't make our own wine. We make only some of our beer. We sometimes purchase barbecue sauce, rather than making our own. We usually have a bottle of salad dressing that's pre-made, rather than always making our own. We usually (but not always) use store-bought mayonaissase (I can't spell that word). We usually purchase store-bought mustard and many other condiments (Worchestershire sauce, Pickapepper sauce, vinagars, etc.). We don't put up our own anchovies, but buy them already preserved. Same with most of our pickles. We don't make our own soy sauce or oils. We don't always use homemade stocks, though I'd like to change that. I think that about covers it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page