how long does it take for fresh eggs to go bad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-15-2006, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some friends gave us a dozen fresh eggs from their hens. Unfortunately, my dh left them in his office for 2 days. Are they still okay to eat? They don't smell bad or anything... What happens to eggs, do they just loose nutrients or are they actually dangerous to eat? Thanks for your input mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-15-2006, 11:13 PM

All the supermarkets I have ever been to keep eggs on the shelf, unrefridgerated. I put them in the fridge when I buy them but I'd say most of them would have been at room temperature for more than a couple of days. I have never, ever got sick form eating eggs, even raw. That doesn't mean you won't, but that is my experience. I'd guess if they smell ok they probably are
#3 of 6 Old 04-15-2006, 11:20 PM

If eggs straight from the chicken are unwashed, they have a protective coating that keeps them fresh without refrigeration for about five days. Even if washed, yours are probably fine if they smell okay.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#4 of 6 Old 04-16-2006, 04:42 AM

During the spring & summer, I collect eggs from my breeding chooks & write the date on them. I keep them for 10 days out of the fridge & then, if no one has gone broody, put them in the fridge & we eat them after that. No worries. I never wash our eggs at all to keep the protective coating on them. Obviously it helps to make sure the nesting area is clean as I am not overly fond of chook poo on the egg shells.

So yeah I wouldn't stress about it. They are still probably fresher than any egg you'll get from the supermarket.
#5 of 6 Old 04-16-2006, 07:15 AM

I totally agree with the PPs, the eggs should be fine. If you are still worried, though, you can do the float test. If you put a raw egg in a glass of water and it floats, it's bad. If it sinks, it's good. Strange but true.
#6 of 6 Old 04-16-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea
I totally agree with the PPs, the eggs should be fine. If you are still worried, though, you can do the float test. If you put a raw egg in a glass of water and it floats, it's bad. If it sinks, it's good. Strange but true.
True, but not that strange.

As eggs age the whites disintegrate. The older the egg, the less egg white, the bigger the air-bubble, the more it floats.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page