question about avacado - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Austin (2 1/2 years old) is a MAJOR fruit and veggie lover. Always asks for more salad. Chooses fruit/veggies over cookies/cake. Lately we have been eating a lot of guacamole. My guacamole is just avacado, green pepper, red onion, tomato, chili pepper, garlic powder and a little bit of salt. Someone pretty much told me that I am subjecting my child to a life of obesity because I am feeding him fatty foods. I KNOW that avacado are high in fat...but aren't they high in the GOOD fat??? Austin eats the guacamole with tortilla chips...but with about 1 cup of guacamole he only goes through 2 or 3 chips because he just keeps redipping the chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Avocado is definitely GOOD fat and whoever told you otherwise needs to crack a basic nutrition book. That's awesome that your son loves fruits and veggies so much!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 PM

Good fats. Ignore whoever is saying that. At that age they NEED lots of fat to build braincells. Tell them that you're trying to raise a SMART child.

-Angela
Old 04-17-2006, 04:20 PM

That's crazy!! I am sure most obese people did not get that way from eating avocados!! No high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in that!! Plus children that age are usually so active, they will burn it off in no time! It sounds like he eats a good variety of foods so what's the problem? LOL Some people!
Old 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom
That's crazy!! I am sure most obese people did not get that way from eating avocados!! No high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in that!! Plus children that age are usually so active, they will burn it off in no time! It sounds like he eats a good variety of foods so what's the problem? LOL Some people!
I agree!!! My family eats an avacado a day
Old 04-18-2006, 12:20 AM

:
Old 04-18-2006, 03:53 AM

good tip, DoubleOven, i'll have to remember that one! my dd loves avocado too, for which i'm grateful as she is on the smaller side so i like that she gets that added fat.

no one ever got fat from eating avocados! they are super-good for you.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 04-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Sounds like a yummy guacamole, my dd loves avos too, we have a bit of salsa, some mashed up avo on grainy toast for breakky.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

DoubleOven so it REALLY tastes like ice cream????? My 2nd ds can't have any dairy or soy (As well as other foods) so ice cream is out for me (breastfeeding him...he's 5 1/2 months). I'll have to try that now!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 PM

We make a fabulous vegan pudding that is avacado based (but it's CHOCOLATE!) Avacados are the best! Babies need fat to build their brains, and people do not get fat off of things like coconut oil, nut butters and avacados. IT's the bad fats you need to watch out for.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ooooooooooooh please share your recipe!!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 PM

Amounts are variable! One is:
avacado
strawberries (frozen)
1/3 c. raw almond butter
coconut milk
honey or agave nectar
vanilla

And #2
avacados (I do two here for volume-we love this pudding!)
agave nectar or honey and a dash of maple syrup
vanilla
raw cacao beans or nibs

I just keep blending until I like the taste I'm such a chef! Avacados are what make these so creamy....
Old 04-18-2006, 04:54 PM

Old 04-18-2006, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well I decided to try and whip up some avacado pudding and I have to say....this stuff is SOOOOO good. Next time I'll try less sugar though because it was kind of sweet. Thanks for the suggestions mama's. Next time I'm going to try freezing it a bit to make a frozen treat.

Avacado Pudding

2 avacados, peeled and seed removed
1 banana, very ripe
1/2 cup milk (I use rice milk cause I can't have regular milk)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Place avacado and banana in blender or food processer. Blend until creamy. Add milk, sugar, vanilla and cocoa powder. Blend again till everything is blended together. Pour into two serving bowls and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:09 PM

Just freeze the bananas in advance-then you won't have to! You can also freeze the avacado...just peel and slice both banana and avacado a day in advance and stick in a baggie in the freezer. Then you will have ice cream!!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:58 PM

Fat is essential for kids:

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour..._children.html

Cholesterol is essential for brain development, from AskDrSears books and I thought his website but I cannot find now.

Brain development continues well past weaning from cholesterol rich breastmilk.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:14 AM

that avocado pudding recipe sounds delicious! do you think it would work if you substitute honey for the sugar?

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 04-19-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

I ate more of the pudding after it had been in the fridge for hours...and it seemed to have gotten sweeter, so to be honest, I would probably try it without sugar....and if you need some sweetner, then use a bit of honey. I fed it to DH and he thought it was the best thing. After he ate it, I told him it had avacado and he was SO surprised!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:51 AM

I wouldn't use any sugar at all! Maybe a dash of honey...
Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 AM

I put it in smoothies and homeade ice creams.I love guacamole.

Think of it this way-your brain is made of fat, your cells are cushioned with fat. Fat is ESSENTIAL to being healthy. I think your son will be totally fine eating avacados regularly. I get so mad when I hear people touting a low fat diet for children.(when it includes knocking healthy foods anyway) I just want to scream.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:44 AM

ITA. I guess we all are! I push fats on my kids like there's no tomorrow! Coconut oil and nut butters in smoothies, butter on and in everything, supplemental CLO-you name it! They eat nothing processed, so they get no trans or hydrogenated fats-those are the evil ones. Otherwise they need all they can get. Remember, fat doesn't make you fat, refined junk does. I lose 60 pounds on a very high fat diet when I cut all the refined grains and sugars and things. It's necessary for everyone, but especially kiddos.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:01 PM

Well, the low-fat people would have a heart attack at my house. Everything we do involves fat, practically. We use lots of raw butter, extra virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, nut butters, cream, whole milk yogurt, etc.

As PPs have said, we need fat (good fats, that is) in our diet. Our children need it even more to grow healthy brains. The brain cannot grow properly without fat, as the nerves are coated in fat (the myelin sheath around nerves is primarily fat). Fat serves as a cushion around our organs, provides a steady fuel for growing bodies, and helps sate the appetite.

Keep feeding your children the avocado. Mix in some coconut oil while you're at it! Let them eat as much of it as they want! They'll be super smart and healthy!

(she says as she gets up to go try the avocado pudding and ice cream recipes!)
Old 04-19-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Well, the low-fat people would have a heart attack at my house. Everything we do involves fat, practically. We use lots of raw butter, extra virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, nut butters, cream, whole milk yogurt, etc.

As PPs have said, we need fat (good fats, that is) in our diet. Our children need it even more to grow healthy brains. The brain cannot grow properly without fat, as the nerves are coated in fat (the myelin sheath around nerves is primarily fat). Fat serves as a cushion around our organs, provides a steady fuel for growing bodies, and helps sate the appetite.

Keep feeding your children the avocado. Mix in some coconut oil while you're at it! Let them eat as much of it as they want! They'll be super smart and healthy!

(she says as she gets up to go try the avocado pudding and ice cream recipes!)

Yep, dh likes to talk about how you can't get fat eating vegetable fat.
I think so many aspects of health revolve around fat. We are all about good fats here too. Fats help keep our skin healthy as well. Just try the no/low fat diet for a week, I dare you!You will be convinced.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
Yep, dh likes to talk about how you can't get fat eating vegetable fat.
You can if it's the very unhealthy corn, canola, and soy Omega 6 oils.

Avocado contains the lipase enzyme so it helps digest the fat and then it's not stored in the body. Ditto for raw butter and other raw dairy products. Coconut oil is the most easily digestible fat and isn't stored as fat either but converted for quick energy and heat.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:03 AM

babygrant--i made that avocado pudding today and YUM!!!!! it was terrific! i used half the amount of (organic cane) sugar. i think i might try honey next time. it was great!

Old 04-20-2006, 02:46 PM

My 10mo son won't eat avocados unless I mix them with some other fruit. He loves the avocado/banana mix and avocado/mango mix. Any other ideas?
And oh, yeah, I do mix coconut oil with that.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:32 PM

Ok, so you *really* can't get fat from avacados? I love them. LOVE them. But the nurse at my Doc.s told me I need to stop eating them because I won't lose weight. (I have about 30 pounds of baby weight to lose.)

I'm going to try the avacado pudding for the girls, for sure!
Old 04-21-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant
Ok, so you *really* can't get fat from avacados? I love them. LOVE them. But the nurse at my Doc.s told me I need to stop eating them because I won't lose weight. (I have about 30 pounds of baby weight to lose.)

I'm going to try the avacado pudding for the girls, for sure!
I think you have to consider moderation if you are an adult trying to loose weight. If you eat more calories than you burn, you will put on weight, no matter how healthy the source of your calories. Avocados *are* a "superfood" (according to the book Superfoods Healthstyle, which I ). But all fats contain more calories per ounce than carbs or protiens. Combined with the fact that we are hard-wired to like fatty foods, you can see how it's easy to over-do them. Rather than totally ditch foods with healthy fats such as avocados, however, I'd look to see where you can use them to *replace* some of the less healthy fats in your diet. Moderation and smart choices are the key! Good luck with your weight loss program!

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
Old 04-21-2006, 08:44 PM

GREAT THREAD!! I just bought a bag of avacados and these ideas are great!! One question if anyone can help--how do I ripen my avacado? Should I keep them in the fridge? (sorry, 2 questions!) TIA
Old 04-21-2006, 08:48 PM

my kids are eating plain organic yogurt from Straus with avacado and organic cherry preserves with their lunch. They love it

Just thought I'd post another idea

User Tag List