Can someone tell me.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-24-2003, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What the diference is between unbleached white flour and whole wheat flour? I'm not sure where to post this question. I hope its ok here. I have been wondering this for a long time. THanks
#2 of 6 Old 02-24-2003, 03:02 PM

My mind and particulars are not friends, but I'll try to explain this as best I can...

Unbleached white flour is way more processed than Whole Wheat. The glutens and stuff have still been removed (like reg. white flour), it just hasn't been bleached (like reg. white flour), which makes it the better of those 2 choices, but still not very good.

Whole wheat flour has not been broken down as much, therefore it is healthier.
#3 of 6 Old 02-24-2003, 03:35 PM

Actually, the "good eating" forum is the perfect place for this question! MOving it for you now.
#4 of 6 Old 02-24-2003, 03:58 PM

Whole wheat flour is closer to the orginal state of the grain, has more nutrients and roughage.

White flour (whether bleached or not) has much of the nutrition removed.
It makes baked products with "empty calories" or "refined carbohydrates" two phrases we often hear in the media.

If you are switching to whole wheat from white, it may take time for you and/or your family to get used to it. Some people gradually add more whole wheat flour to a recipe but also include some white flour. (White and Whole Wheat can be used interchangable in the same amounts in a recipe.)

Unbleached means there is no bleach in it.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#5 of 6 Old 02-24-2003, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

OK so is whole wheat the whole berry crushed up? how is the gluten removed from the unbleached white flour? I have a friend who is switching to whole wheat products and it made me wonder. Thanks
#6 of 6 Old 02-25-2003, 01:15 PM

Christi,

The gluten is not removed, just the bran, the outer coating of the wheat grain, which contains fiber, oil and minerals that white flour lacks. Different kinds of wheat flour have different amounts of protein (i.e.,gluten), starch and sugars, which means that substituting one kind of flour for another in recipes will give different results depending on the composition of the flour. Check the package, if it's available, and it will tell you the percentage of protein in the flour. This was discussed more thoroughly in an earlier thread:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=40910

I'm not saying not to use whole wheat flour for white, just want to point out that your baked goods will be much different when you do. Whole wheat breads, for example, must be kneaded longer to develop the greater amount of gluten that's present in most whole wheat flour.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page