Would you share your favorite bread recipe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-26-2003, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've made a different recipe each time, but haven't been very successful.
Would you share with me your successful whole wheat bread recipes?
Thanks!

Ella
#2 of 6 Old 02-26-2003, 02:36 PM

Could be your flour. I use WW bread flour that is awesome, King Arthur bread flour is also great.

Here is my favorite recipe for ww french bread:

3 cups warm water
3 Tbl yeast
2 Tsp. sugar or honey
2 cups ww flour
2 cups white flour

Sprinkle the yeast on the water, stir in the sweetener. Stir in the flour and beat 100 strokes. This is the sponge. Cover it and let it sit for 30-40 minutes.

4 tsp. salt
3 cups ww flour

Fold the salt into the sponge. Add the flour 1 cup at a time. (May take a little more, may take a little less) Knead 10 minutes.

Let rise for 45 minutes. Punch down, let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven (and baking stone if you use one) to 425 degrees. Punch down and shape as desired (I make 2-3 loaves- usually one large loaf and 2 smaller baguettes). Let proof for 20 minutes. Slash with a sharp knife. Spray water into the oven with a spritzer bottle. Bake bread for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 375 degrees and bake for 30 or so minutes more. Bread is done when you thump it on the bottom and it sounds hollow.

I have made this bread with 100% ww flour, and it works well, but the white bread flour makes it chewier, which my family likes.

good luck,
jeanie
#3 of 6 Old 03-05-2003, 05:58 PM

any more suggestions?

I am thinking of finally trying to bake bread this weekend..
#4 of 6 Old 03-05-2003, 06:12 PM

This is our favorite bread.

No Rise bread & Hot Roll Dough
1 TBL yeast
1 TBL honey
1/2 c warm water
Dissolve yeast in honey water. Add:
1/2 c olive oil
2 c milk (sour, buttermilk, yogurt - your choice)
1/2 c honey
1/2 tsp baking soda
5 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
5-7 cups flour (3 c whole wheat, 3/4 c ground flaxseed, rest white)
Mix and knead well. Will keep in fridge 2-3 weeks. No need to let it rise. Form into rolls and bake at 425 for 10 min. Can also be used as pizza dough or cinnamon rolls.

Enjoy

Cheryl
#5 of 6 Old 03-05-2003, 06:26 PM

Here's another one we like.

FLAX WHOLE WHEAT LOAF
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1-3/4 cups warm water
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons sea salt (optional)
2 teaspoon dry milk powder <powdered rice and soy milk are available>
2 tablespoons canola oil <or try lecithin granules or half the amount in liquid lecithin>
4 cups whole wheat flour, divided evenly in half <if you cannot do wheat, then see the recipe for whole wheat flour substitute.>
1/4 cup flax seed

Directions:
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey, salt, milk powder, oil, and 2 cups whole wheat flour. Stir well. Add flax seed and remaining 2 cups flour. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Shape and put in an oiled loaf pan. Let rise until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 to 50 minutes or until done.

Cheryl
#6 of 6 Old 03-05-2003, 07:28 PM

I like this recipe because there's no oil or sweetener. It still rises great and tastes delicious. I make one loaf at a time so I can knead it in my food processor with the special dough blade. I found out the hard way that food processors can not handle two whole wheat loaves at a time. Also, I start out with a dry dough and knead with wet hands on a wet board rather than the traditional way. I find it is easier than the sticky mess that sticks to everything and I end up with a moist loaf.

Pure and Simple Whole Wheat Bread

1 teaspoon active dry yeast
½ cup warm water
2½ cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ to ¾ cups warm water

Mix yeast into ½ cup warm water. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes, or until foamy.

In large bowl, mix flour and salt together. Stir yeast mixture into flour. Stir in remaining water a little at a time until the dough holds together but is not gooey. With wet hands on a wet surface, continue to knead dough for 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. To test if dough is ready, use both hands and try to pull dough apart. It should stretch and but not break.

Form dough into a ball and place in bowl and cover with a plate or damp towel. Let sit in warm place approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.

Push dough down gently, and form into a loaf. Place dough in oiled loaf pan. Cover with damp towel. Place pan in warm, draft-free place for 30-40 minutes, or until dough is doubled in size. Start preheating oven to 350º about 20 minutes after starting the second rise. Place bread in preheated oven, and bake for one hour. When done, bread will be golden brown and fall easily out of pan. If it does not, let it bake a little longer. Bread will sound hollow on bottom when knocked. Let bread cool on wire rack. Don’t cut hot bread, it will be slightly mushy until it cools a little.

Yield: 1 loaf

Note: For two loaves, double ingredients and knead for 20 minutes.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page