Hard boiled eggs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cant make hard boiled eggs for some reason, I know there is some trick to making them that I dont get. I have tried several different methods, different cooking times, putting them directly into boiling water, putting them in cold water bringing to a boil, cooking anywhere from 15-25 minutes and I always putting them in cold ice water after they are done cooking. My main problem is the eggs sticks to the shell and occasionally the yolk is not fully cooked. So what am I doing wrong and how can I make them turn out fully cooked and peelable?
#2 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLuv
So what am I doing wrong and how can I make them turn out fully cooked and peelable?
Put the eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. I don't know exactly how long for, I usually leave mine boiling a while (at least 20 minutes boiling). Before I put the eggs in I put a tupperware of water in the fridge (freezer is better if there is room). When the eggs finish I take them out with a slotted spoon 1 at a time and put them in the cold water. Usually the water has warmed up by the time all the eggs are in so I drain the water and fill again with cold water. I let them cool down in the water in the fridge before peeling.

If the egg is runny it didn't cook long enough. If the yolk turns green it will taste fine but it cooked a long time. I think the trick is getting them cold FAST.

Good luck

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 02:04 AM

I learned this "recipe" from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. It works everytime.
When I lived at high altitude, I let them sit longer:

"Put the eggs in a pot with cold water to cover. Bring them to a gentle boil and boil for 1 minute. Turn off the heat, cover, and let stand for 6 minutes. (At 7,000 feet I find it takes 10 minutes.) If you're not eating them right away, plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking. Leftover eggs can be refrigerated for days." (p.568)

I actually usually cook for 2 minutes. And I didn't know about putting them into cold water...so now I'll do that.

mv
#4 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 AM

The way I do my hard boiled eggs--

Put in cold water with a splash of vinegar, bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let sit on the hot burner for 12 minutes. Shock in cold water and peel. The yolks are cooked thru, but still creamy, and bright yellow/orange, they don't turn green. I like them this way, specially if I make scotch eggs--yummo! (eggs wrapped in sausage and baked!)

OH! if your eggs are really fresh, they will be harder to peel also--older eggs are best for boiling and getting out of the shell cleanly. hth
#5 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 09:42 AM

I posted a thread similar to this once before and the general concensus was that you need to use old eggs to boil. Let me try to dig it up...

Here ya go:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=340635
#6 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM

If you're using fresher eggs, then steam them. Put them in a steamer and let it go for about 10 minutes. Start everything cold, then set the timer once it begins to steam well.

Steaming makes them very easy to peel. We have our own chickens so our eggs are always too fresh to do them by the boiling method.
#7 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Put them in a pan w/ water, bring to boil. Boil for 7 minutes then rinse them for about 3-5 minutes in cold water.
#8 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 04:34 PM

Vinegar added to the cooking water helps to prevent green yolks.
If they don't want to peel easily, peel them under running water.
#9 of 9 Old 04-27-2006, 07:24 PM

I figured out a method to avoid undercooked eggs. I cook them the way I usually do, but I add one or two more extra eggs than I need. When I think they are done, I fish one out of the pan and cut it in half. (Use one that cracked if you want) I can see right away if the eggs need more time or not. If I am lucky, I will have a snack of the nicely cooked egg.

FWIW, anything less than 15 minutes (usually 18 min are needed) with my eggs on my stove in my pan results in undercooked eggs. I think everyone's time is a bit different for this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page