hormones in milk for girls - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-26-2003, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
Hello! I understand that the hormones in milk are the reason that girls are getting their periods at such young ages. My question is...if I give my daughter only organic hormone-free milk/dairy products, could that make her get her period at a more normal age? I started my period at age 11 or 12 and felt it was SO early as I feel I wasn't ready mentally. Thanks!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#2 of 4 Old 03-06-2003, 11:50 AM

But it would be better for her and you anyway.
11-12 sounds OK to me. 7, 8 or 9, now that's young, and not unheard of, either.
#3 of 4 Old 03-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Liz

Actually the concern is that the earlier you start menstruating the longer your exposure to estrogen and a higher risk of breast cancer. Is there estrogen in milk?!!! We drink organic now but I didn't until ds was born...
#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2003, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hormones in milk are a reason but not THE reason. The increase in the proportion of girls who are overweight before puberty, xenoestrogenic pollutants in our environment, low fiber in the diet, chemicals in hair-straightening treatments, and various other factors also contribute to a change in the AVERAGE age of first menstruation.

11-12 is a normal age, and it has been for about 60 years, ever since the improvements in nutritition that gradually brought the average age down from about 16 in the early 1800s. Your daughter is likely to start at about the same age you did, unless her dad's family are late bloomers.

If you want to try to keep your daughter from menstruating any earlier than genetics would dictate, hormone-free milk is a good idea, and an even better idea is to have a diet high in fiber and low in animal fats. Even the best milk contains pollutants that cows take in from the environment and concentrate in their milk (and meat).

As for mental readiness, you can work on that by teaching healthy attitudes toward menstruation from an early age and helping your daughter to feel prepared for it whenever it happens.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page