Mothering Forum banner

possible source of local poultry, with a problem.

519 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mnnice 
#1 ·
The farmer we buy our produce from just informed me she would sell me chicken ($8) or goose ($25 for a really big goose) if I want, but it is alive
So I would have to butcher it or find someone else to. She said she would just lend me the cage she would bring it in and then I could bring the cage back.

I called a butcher and he said this shop doesn't do that and accused me in a very rude voice of stealing a goose from a park!
:

I live in a small apartment. I really want to eat locally and I know that this poultry has been well cared for and fed good stuff. If only it came butchered!

WWYD? How difficult could it be to do it myself, assuming I could get someone to let me do it at their house? How would I find anyone else to do it? Should I just keep looking for another source?

See less See more
#3 ·
When I've bought a cow or lamb, the person who raised it took it directly to the butcher and gave them my name. Then I paid the butcher for his services. Maybe it could work that way? But both times they had recommended butchers. For the regular 'ol person, butchering can be pretty gory and it's quite a job. My inlaws raise poultry casually. Just for eggs and occasionally butcher one. It's always a big deal!

#5 ·
yitlan, how much did the butcher services cost?
The crazy butcher that I called tried to scare me by saying he only knew of one place who would do it and they would charge $50 to kill the goose and then charge me for plucking it. That seems utterly rediculous.

#6 ·
Ask the farmer if s/he can recommend a butcher. And definitely keep looking for another source of fresh poultry. Do you have a farmer's market? We found a guy at ours who sells fresh eggs, vegetables, and great farm chickens, organically raised (although not certified, you know) and HUGE and delicious, for .80/lb.

Good luck!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ
yitlan, how much did the butcher services cost?
The crazy butcher that I called tried to scare me by saying he only knew of one place who would do it and they would charge $50 to kill the goose and then charge me for plucking it. That seems utterly rediculous.
It looks like I wrote a check for $63.60 to him for butchering, packaging and labeling the lamb. I think a lamb would be much more labor than a goose, but I could be wrong?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.