Support for Intro SCD diet! We need it! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 114 Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Several of us were slated to start the Introductor ySCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) diet on Monday morning - I thought we needed a place to chat and support for this insanity, out of the way of the other busy threads!

So I started this morning with scrambled eggs, apple cider and grape juice gelatin - also started my OmegaZymes from Garden of Life. Feeling good, not hungry yet. I have broiled fish, chicken broth w/chicken, and more gelatin scheduled for lunch, and broiled ground beef and more gelatin slated for dinner. My tactic is going to be to keep very busy, trying to avoid the munchies, as well as the lethargic feeling I had when I did the Atkins diet (which this is reminding me of). I haven't read the book, and it's not scheduled to even ship to me until Wednesday (couldn't find it anywhere else ). I'm shooting for staying on intro through Wednesday night (but I'll call it a success of I stay on it even through Tuesday night), and moving into phase 1. I'm hoping to not budge from phase 1 (adding the seedless, cooked green beans and zucchini, as well as cooked spinish) until the book arrives. Adding those few veggies will make this a LOT more manageable, it think.

Others on this diet, are your symptoms GI that you can evaluate on a day-to-day basis? My issue is acne, and I fear that it will take days at each stage for me to determine if I can move onto the next stage. Not sure how to handle that.......
#2 of 114 Old 05-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Hello-

I started today-for me and my BF 25 month old DS.

My only symptoms are gas and bloating, not always and much improved since removing grains about a month ago. My DS, well, he has not slept well-ever-and his BM's are full of food and not formed. He had a very tough intro into this world and that is what I attribute most of his health issues to. That, and his veggie only mama

So, today, we woke up, I had enzymes and waitied an hour before scrambling eggs, eating some left over chicken and a small cup of broth. We are not doing dairy free at this time, so I had a small bowl of homemade 24 hour yogurt.

I have chicken soup in the crockpot, beef for dinner, with carrots on the side.

Question-did you heat the juice to make the gelatin? That is one thing we have not made yet.

My goal is Weds., as well. I have pears and apples for making sauce and another chicken ready to roast, squash waiting. I did SCD for a bit awhile ago but jumped right in with legal foods-let me tell you-the nut muffins/pancakes/treats are great! I am looking forward to Thursday just for some of that-but will take it slowly with DS.

I do not have the book yet either-looking to pecanbread for the stages to help me with the next step.

Have a good day! My older DS's are getting me out for a jog-that should pass some time-but make me hungry.....
#3 of 114 Old 05-01-2006, 01:10 PM

In the beginning I just ate as I needed...it was alot of food, but after a week it evened out. What I liked most about it was that you never had to be hungry. I ate and ate and lost over 60 pounds!
#4 of 114 Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 PM

I'm not starting today but I am starting really soon, mind if I lurk along on the thread? Since I don't yet have the book I've been mostly just using the legal/illegal list and SCD recipes to cook, but I really feel I need to do the intro to start. I'm working on getting the foods made so I can start (chicken soup is in the crockpot!).
#5 of 114 Old 05-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Doing well-have a headache which I am guessing is die off-hopefully! My DS isn't eating much, but nursing a lot-so far, so good!

Chasym-welcome-make lots of soup-I am already running low-going to roast chicken #2 tomorrow! I do have three other kids helping me eat, too!
#6 of 114 Old 05-01-2006, 09:32 PM

Hi Ladies. I really really am going to start this week
I've been on it off and on since January. At the beginning I was very tired, crabby, my dd nursed like crazy, and I was hungry all the time. Every time I've restarted it it was better. So now after a horrible weekendof eating I am ready to start this and stick to it. Have my yogurt in the oven now and tomorrow I will start the chicken and so hopefully by Wednesday morning we will be all set.

Oh and another thing I've learned is to always have snacks or meals planned for the whole day and maybe next day. Nothing worse than having die off symptoms, being so hungry and not having anything to eat!!

Stacy
#7 of 114 Old 05-01-2006, 09:33 PM

Oh forgot to mention to everyone to drink lots of water to flush the bad stuff out. And everyone recommends uping Vitamin C too.
#8 of 114 Old 05-02-2006, 01:12 AM

Stacy-how long do you plan to stay on the intro?

Snack recommendations? Yogurt and gelatin is what we have used today-any more ideas?
#9 of 114 Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, now Day 2.
Day 1 wasn't too bad - I made a very concious effort to stay really busy and get in that zone where eating is just functional. I was even able to go to bed just a little bit hungry last night, not wanting to get up and make an egg, heat up broth, etc. I'm feeling good, no symptoms of die-off (should I be worried?). One thing I've noticed (and it's so early, I wonder if it's coincidence) - my face already feels so much better. I have a couple of new break-outs today, but so far none of the constant pain that I'm used to feeling. It makes me wonder if my gluten and elim diet was already working, but was complicated by the new soap I was using. I'm staying tuned, and going slow.....

I am excited to move to phase 1, I'll feel much more at ease when I'm getting some veggies into me. I'm relying a little too much on the fruit juices in this intro - drinking pressed apple cider and Welch's white grape. Once I move into phase 1 (shooting for Thursday am, and I don't think it will be a problem to stay on Intro for that long), I think I'll park it there until I get the book.

I'm planning on introducing intro-legal dairy maybe at the end of the month. I was going to go straight for the fermented cows milk products, but I know that goats milk is easier to digest. Trying to decide which to introduce first - I have a reliable source of raw cows milk, but raw goats milk is going to take some figuring out.....
#10 of 114 Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 AM

Good to hear your update Shanna! Sounds like all is going well-great to hear that it may already br helping your acne

Day 2 here as well-plan on roasting a chicken this afternoon and getting a batch of yogurt into the oven after that. My little guy did great yesterday and actually slept a couple of two hours stretches-a rarity for him!

Off to have some eggs!
#11 of 114 Old 05-02-2006, 10:38 AM

I always plan on staying on the intro for 2-3 days, but I can't seem to make it past one.

Hmm. Snack ideas. I usually do cold chicken, cheese and chicken liver pate, jello, yogurt. I cheat alot with dried fruit. Maybe this time I can hold off longer on that.

How is everyone doing today? I need to go start my chicken so it will be done by tomorrow.
#12 of 114 Old 05-02-2006, 03:34 PM

Another ?-Stacy

Refresh my memory-what symptoms are you dealng with, if you don't mind sharing ?

Get that chicken in-mine is set to begin in about half an hour.....getting a bit tired of chicken today .

My DS has been doing well-found an old raisin on the back porch and put it in his mouth-chewed, and spit out! Funny!
#13 of 114 Old 05-02-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zsel
Refresh my memory-what symptoms are you dealng with, if you don't mind sharing :
I'm thinking that it would be a great idea to add our "gut situation" in our siggys to help us out. I'm going to go change mine now. When I'm in other threads, that'll be weird.....kind of like when you forget to take off your name tag when you go in public!
#14 of 114 Old 05-02-2006, 03:52 PM

Here's my new siggy-need to get some pics on it, too. His eyes are clearer and he is so much calmer and happier already
#15 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 10:07 AM

Good Morning all. Ok I am finally starting today. Just had my yogurt for breakfast. Dd managed to eat maybe 4 bites, but other than that she is nursing like crazy and so so whiney (but she was that way all day yesterday too). I am expecting a couple bad days to start because of all the crap we ate this weekend. Started the enzymes this morning too. My stock should be done by lunch time and then i will be all set today. Not sure what dinner will be yet. Probably more chicken.

mom2szel I've always been very watchful of dd's digestion because of neices and nephews with food allergies and problems. When she was an infant she had reflux and was really gassy, but I couldn't ever pinpoint a specific food. When she started solids she wasn't digesting fully and had stinky loose poo (which is really hard to determine in a bf babe!!). Then we had thrush on and off for 3 months, and I know I have yeast issues. Overall we don't have it really bad like others. She is mostly a perfect kid, and when she isn't I know something is wrong. No major sleep issues, just sometimes wanting to nurse all night. My symptoms are mainly gas, bloating, flaky itchy scalp, horrible mood swings, brain fog.

I am a horrible dieter. Which is why I've started this diet 4 times now
But I just think if only I would have started when i first read about it, and stuck with it I would probably be healed and be able to eat all NT by now. So I am determined to try to go for 3 straight months of perfect SCD. My biggest problem comes from being out and about or visiting family (who eat SAD).
#16 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Whew! Day 3......
I'm still hanging in there - don't kill me, but I think that I could even go a little bit longer if I needed to - I"ve managed to keep so busy that I've only noticed it a few times when I've been hungry and haven't felt like making an egg or a beef patty. I think I've lost some weight already!
I haven't had any symptoms of die-off - should I be concerned? Oh, I hope my book comes in soon: Is the SCD diet intended that you never eat corn or wheat or pork? I'm going into phase 1 tomorrow so that I can relax on the veggie issue.
#17 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 AM

How is everyone else doing? Are you done with the intro diet yet? What foods have you added first?

I found it was so hard to determine die-off from food reaction.
#18 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Whew! Day 3......
I'm still hanging in there - don't kill me, but I think that I could even go a little bit longer if I needed to - I"ve managed to keep so busy that I've only noticed it a few times when I've been hungry and haven't felt like making an egg or a beef patty. I think I've lost some weight already!
I haven't had any symptoms of die-off - should I be concerned? Oh, I hope my book comes in soon: Is the SCD diet intended that you never eat corn or wheat or pork? I'm going into phase 1 tomorrow so that I can relax on the veggie issue.
Well, I won't kill you, but can I envy you?

I am on Day 3 and we are adding in pears-cooked-this morning. I have felt better without the grains, even the soaked NT I had been doing occasionally. I am just hungry! I have been eating chicken, yogurt, cooked carrots-feel like I have lost a few pounds. Now don't kill me, but I haven't got any extra pounds to spare , so I feel like I need to add some foods slowly.

I really feel DS biggest problem is wheat. He has had some nice diapers since Monday , so I am planning to add one veggie or fruit a day and see how that goes. And since he still nurses a zillion times a day/night, I will be eating what he eats .

OK-Am I just getting desperate-why is this so hard? Easy to plan it, hard to follow through!! I have four other kids that I have to prepare meals for, and although they are eating pretty close to what DS and I are, they enjoy a few extras like Peanut Butter and beans, veggies. I am losing my stamina! Advice welcome!

My symptoms were gas and bloating-no longer an issue as of Monday. DS's issues were restlessness at night, not sleeping, poor digestion as evident by fully formed food in diapers. I feel like we have improved a great deal and I do not want to undo it, but what else can I eat????

Sorry for the whine-hope this is OK to share my feelings here-thanks for reading.
#19 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Oh sweetie, I feel for you I can't imagine how hard this is when you're a sahm, having food accessible all day and having to satisfy the appetites of your other kidlets. DH and I agreed to just make separate meals all month, so I've been glad to not have to prepare foods that I can't eat. However, I will say that I'm feeling a loss of connection with DH in not sharing meals with him - it's such a communion.
So it sounds like you're physically hungry and not being satisfied by the options? I noticed you didn't mention the fruit juice or gelatin, are you eating that too? I'm really missing crunch in my diet, but the fruit and gelatin are helping me to avoid the lethargic, no-carb feeling that I had when I tried Atkins : The diet is hard, no doubt about it - I've had to ask DH to stop looking at me in pity at dinner.
Would it help to have a reminder/Road Map reminding you of how you felt before the diet? Another thread, at the Spring Equinox, did what they called a Treasure Map of goals. The general idea was to make a poster of a Treasure Map, showing how you would attain your goals for the year. I wonder if the same concept could help us: Maybe make a map starting with how you felt before and were seeking relief, and draw it out from there to the end with the final goal of absolute relief. (Making sure to draw lots of intermediate points so you can boost yourself up with the improvement you've made.
A friend of mine from the Ukraine has a mantra that there are three things you can do when hungry: You can sleep, you can exercise, or you can eat. Maybe have a 3-pronged attack for when you're hungry: eat one of the "allowed foods", then take a walk with your kidlets, and follow it up with nap time? I don't have kids of my own so this may be like lassoing the moon, but it could help if somehow you could make it work?

The other thing that I set out to do was to set aside "immersion" projects for this week to distract me from the food issue. You know, those projects that you get so wrapped up in that you have to remind yourself to eat? Spring Cleaning, surfing the internet for a topic that interests you, painting.... whatever melts your butter. This week I stacked up building the chicken coop, getting the baby chickens and getting ready for the garage sale this weekend. It completely violates my mantra to never "pack my time", but it's getting me through this tough spot.

Good luck mama
#20 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 01:50 PM

Thank you Shanna!

I feel better this afternoon, just seeing my DS improving is keeping me going!

I think the eat, sleep, excercise idea is great-and that is kind of what we do here-we are very active with running, walking or going for a hike everyday-rain or shine! That has helped, and it also makes me hungry! I think I was seriously addicted to carbs and while I am a lot better now, still crave some crunch now and then!

I also like the idea of goals-again, it is my DS that is my main goal and I keep looking at him and know that I will do whatever to heal him and move beyond this. I think it is easier now that he heavily relies on BM for nutrients and that I can control his food easier-like a catch 22 though, because I am hungrier because he is nursing more often!

Thanks for taking the time to share you ideas-it really does help to know that there is someone else out there doing this, too! Keep up the good work!
#21 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Michele, are you experiencing any "die-off" symptoms? I'm a little concerned by how "normal" I feel....
#22 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 02:46 PM

I have a question about the soup:

When we strain everything out then put back in the pureed carrots, we can put the chicken back in too, right?

Still waiting on the book.

And then what happens after the intro? Does one introduce one new food at a time, or ....
#23 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
I have a question about the soup:

When we strain everything out then put back in the pureed carrots, we can put the chicken back in too, right?

Still waiting on the book.

And then what happens after the intro? Does one introduce one new food at a time, or ....
I've been putting the chicken back in - the Intro diet website doesn't say that explicitly, but other sources (pecanbread.com) do. Lord, I hope I haven't messed that up....

I have the same question about the stages. I thought that once I "entered" stage 1 I could automatically add in ripe bananas, applesauce, spinach, etc. but most of the mamas talk about introducing one at a time. I wonder why they're arranged in stages then......
#24 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 04:55 PM

HI - I'm considering doing the SCD to try to heal dd's eczema (she is 7.5 months, exclusively breastfed, and has had horrible eczema since she was 3 months old).

I've pretty much eliminated all the major allergens and she gets better, but then gets worse again (and I'm not cheating at all), so it's difficult to know what to do.

I don't have any issues myself - I do have seasonal allergies and hay fever, but they haven't flared up in at least 4-5 years, so...

But my question is this - can you do this diet and NOT lose weight? On my current elimination diet, I have lost all the weight I can afford to lose - even my skinny jeans are loose on me now, and I'm getting a bit worried about it (not to mention that both dh and I are starting to get comments from all of our friends about how thin I am...I'm getting paranoid that people will start to think I have some kind of eating disorder).

Any ideas? I've ordered the book, so it should be arriving in a couple of days, but I have reservations (although at this point, I'm willing to try anything to help dd).

Thanks for letting me barge into your thread!
#25 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Whew, I think it's hitting me. I'm starting to feel like crap
It looks like I've been drinking too much juice (per advice on the Healing thread). I think I"m going to go at least another day on Intro, just to be sure. Man, I've really got a craving for corn chips and salsa.....I need to take my own advice about not caving in

How much juice/juice gelatin are the rest of you taking?

Mommiska, I don't know the answer to whether you can do this and not lose weight. Weight maintenance is mostly about calories, so if you consume enough calories, you should be fine. However, these types of diets are so effective for weight loss because, like me, you sometimes would rather go hungry than eat another egg!
#26 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 06:40 PM

nak

so what were everyones symptoms that made them want to do the SCD?
#27 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 07:31 PM

Well I am nearing dinnertime on Day 1 and I feel so horrible. Major grump today and a killer headache all day. Of course I have been doing enzymes like crazy too, but I am sure this is just die-off becauase of all the junk I ate over the weekend. DD is taking her daily poo as we speak and it is horrible. Definetely makes me stronger to continue. It might be hard not caving in and eating the chips in the pantry, but I need her to feel good and digest her food.

I haven't had much today. Yogurt for breakfast, chicken and broth and jello for lunch. Yogurt again. A cup of broth and some chicken and jello for snack. Dinner is a beef patty and broth again. Then yogurt before bed.

Since I am dealing with yeast I am trying to avoid a ton of juice. I do let myself have the jello( 2-3 peices a day) and then just drink water or tea.

I think it would be better to eat legal foods early than to cheat with bad foods. I do whatever I have to, to get by.

After the intro, I plan on introducing one thing a day. Applesauce maybe tomorrow cause I doubt I can go another day like today. Green beans the next. Zucchini after that.

I think the diet is in phases on pecanbread to introduce one at a time, but you can choose what foods to introduce first?
#28 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant
nak

so what were everyones symptoms that made them want to do the SCD?
Me: Loose stool always, yeast, tinnitus, acne/rosacea that never goes away, very difficult to lose weight, zero sex drive, intense mood swings, addiction to carbs/sugar, depression and a host of other things escaping me right now.

DS has excema behind one of his ears and I don't want it to spread.
#29 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 08:49 PM

Shanna-the stages are a great guide for you. For those of us that have kids that are failing to thrive we tend to take it super slow. THat way you know exactly what is going on. You are fine adding the chicken, and really you'd be fine going into stage 2 given the info you have shared.

Weight loss, I lost because I had a bunch to lose due to food allergies. This is not a low fat diet by any means. You may lose some bad "tissue" in the beginning, but don't worry about becoming malnourished. The body tends to take some time to even out, but you will not get skinny on this diet. Your body will go where it needs to as is always the case with healthful eating.

I started this diet a year ago for: IBD, acne, depression food allergies, anxiety, mood swings, yeast and non-specific bowel issues. Well, I started if for food allergies, the rest just happened so I tend to include it!
#30 of 114 Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
I started this diet a year ago for: IBD, acne, depression food allergies, anxiety, mood swings, yeast and non-specific bowel issues. Well, I started if for food allergies, the rest just happened so I tend to include it!
Lawdy, your story is inspiring I try to keep it in mind - my morale is low today because my acne is in one of its bad flows. Doesn't seem to be particularly bad so I'm skeptical of die-off. Just one of those mundanely-bad days that I usually get I so hope this helps me..... All of the information and research speaks to me, and I'm so committed to doing the difficult thing. I just want so badly for it pay off. :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page