Nourishing Traditions recipe corrections - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 05-13-2006, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000
How does this affect the fermentation? I though the lactobacilli were the whole point?
It takes a little longer to ferment, that's all. There's naturally occurring good critters in the produce, and the salt helps stave off the bud guys from getting a jump before the good guys can take hold. Whey isn't the only source of the good bacteria, its just gives them a head-start. This is why you sometimes see people recommend that you not wash your cabbage before fermenting it.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#32 of 52 Old 05-13-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo
In general, I've found that the desserts I've tried are waayyyy too sweet. So is the cultured smoothie recipe. I tried making the coconut mousse pie and the lemon mousse, and was really turned off by how sweet they were. They both call for 1/2 cup of honey. I'd cut the honey at least in half for the lemon, and by a third for the coconut. In the smoothie, she calls for 3-4 Tbs of honey or maple syrup. One Tbs was sufficient for me. When baking the breads, I cook at a lower temp, and for much shorter times than the recipe calls for. The first time I made bananna bread, it burnt to a crisp in 25 mins, when it was supposed to cook for an hour and a half! I bake on 300, and check every 20 mins.
The coconut mousse pie calls for Rapadura - could that explain the discrepency, or do you think that a 1/2 c. of rapadura is just as sweet as 1/2 c of honey?
#33 of 52 Old 05-13-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBird
The beans were very hard
You know, I have this same problem with just about every bean recipe that I try from anywhere, including Whole Foods. I don't trust not cooking them ahead of time anymore....
#34 of 52 Old 05-13-2006, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
My beet kvass turns out great everytime. I use coarse salt though.
You use the specified Tablespoon, or with the modified teaspoon?
#35 of 52 Old 05-13-2006, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann
It takes a little longer to ferment, that's all. There's naturally occurring good critters in the produce, and the salt helps stave off the bud guys from getting a jump before the good guys can take hold. Whey isn't the only source of the good bacteria, its just gives them a head-start. This is why you sometimes see people recommend that you not wash your cabbage before fermenting it.
If you're leaving out the whey, do you substitute instead the salt she recommends, or just plain leave it out? There's already salt in each receipe aside from substituting salt for whey....
Thanks so much for your help!
#36 of 52 Old 05-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Shanna for the beet kvass I use one Tablespoon of coarse Celtic sea salt and 3 medium/large organic beets. I ferment 2-3 days and usualll leave in fridge for a couple days until the last batch is gone. I also think it is a required taste. The first time I started drinking it I thought it was gross and couldn't stomach it. Now however I crave it and could drink way more than 8 ounces at a time. Love to put it in my soups for a slight sour taste too.
#37 of 52 Old 05-14-2006, 12:43 AM

:
#38 of 52 Old 05-14-2006, 01:51 AM

Yes, I have made the ginger carrots and they are a bit salty ususally I serve them with something I made using sour creme (creme fraiche). It seems to help. I usually serve the carrots with lentils corriander topped with sour creme.
Do you all make your own whey. I buy mine from a co-op.
Have any of you tried the beverages? I haven't yet...feeling too quesy lately to do anything new.
I have made the stuffed grapes leaves...they turned out nice and of course the broth. I have made the sauerkraut that pretty good.
#39 of 52 Old 05-14-2006, 02:13 AM

Shanna, in my NT book, there isn't any Rapadura in the coconut mousse pie. I believe that honey is sweeter than Rapadura, though. I don't know if the recipe would work without the honey.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#40 of 52 Old 05-14-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josette Marie
I usually serve the carrots with lentils corriander topped with sour creme.
Share the recipe? Please?

Quote:
Do you all make your own whey. I buy mine from a co-op.
I make mine from kefir or yogurt all the time. I let the kefir go a little too long then filter it. Then I use the kefir or yogut cheese as a dip for veggies for me and the kids.

Quote:
Have any of you tried the beverages? I haven't yet...feeling too quesy lately to do anything new.
I've done the beet kvass and kombucha and all of the dairy, and the ginger ale. I've been happy with them all. The ginger ale is a help to me when queasy.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#41 of 52 Old 05-14-2006, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo
Shanna, in my NT book, there isn't any Rapadura in the coconut mousse pie. I believe that honey is sweeter than Rapadura, though. I don't know if the recipe would work without the honey.
Interesting - I have the 2nd edition, and it's definately a half cup of rapadura. I'll make a note of your modification in my book - even in the 2nd edition, not sure that I trust these recipes yet!
#42 of 52 Old 05-15-2006, 12:54 PM

:
#43 of 52 Old 05-16-2006, 07:43 PM

Has anyone had any luck with the other kvass recipe in NT, the one with hops and bread and all that? Supposedly it has all these wonderful nutritional benefits. I tried making it, and it was so disgusting looking that I threw it all out and never tried making it again. Any successes?

Ann
#44 of 52 Old 05-18-2006, 08:22 PM

subbing

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#45 of 52 Old 05-19-2006, 09:57 AM

Just the other day I made the Basic Muffin recipe and added the raisins. I forgot to add the cinnamon. Anyway, even though I put 2/3 cup of raisins, it wasn't enough. Also, this muffin recipe was not too sweet with 1/4 maple syrup. Actually for me I would add alittle more maple suryp unless there is another sweeterner to use that is sweeter, rapadura maybe?
#46 of 52 Old 05-22-2006, 02:16 PM

In response to the desserts in NT being so sweet, I agree.
This week, I got cream from my cow share, and since this is the time of year for best cream, last night I made the vanilla ice cream recipe. I left out the arrowroot, and instead of 1/2 cup maple syrup, I used just 2 Tbs. It came out GREAT, no need for more sweetness!

Ann
#47 of 52 Old 05-22-2006, 02:29 PM

SOOOOOOOOOO, glad this thread is here.
#48 of 52 Old 07-26-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

#49 of 52 Old 07-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Hmm... shouldn't this thread move to "Traditional Foods"?
#50 of 52 Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Subbing. I've had trouble with several of the NT recipes so tucked the book back on the shelf. Maybe I'll dig it out and dig through this thread to see if I can make sense of it.
#51 of 52 Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I had to pipe in that I tried the carrot cake and cream cheese recipe, and it turned out fabulous - I know some haven't had luck with the cake recipes, but I followed it exactly and was happy with it.

I also wanted to add my $0.02 that I use the 1/2 c of maple syrup in the ice cream recipe and it isn't too sweet for us. Though we do leave out the arrowroot because the cream here is so thick.
#52 of 52 Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 PM

While I enjoy reading Nourishing Traditions, I have not found one single recipe that could not be improved in some way. I've started using the book as a reference, and not as a cookbook. Sad. It could have used some major recipe experimenting and editing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page