Nourishing Traditions recipe corrections - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just getting into NT, but have heard twitters here and there that some of the recipes in the book are "not quite right" - post your corrections and perfections here! Afraid I'm just going to be a parasite on this thread, as I haven't tried any of the recipes yet!
#2 of 52 Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 AM

The biggest one of the top of my heas is the ginger carrots. I think most people agree it should read one teaspoon vs. one tablespoon of salt.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#3 of 52 Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 AM

In my opinion there is a bit too much salt in all the fermented veggie recipes, as well as in the beet kvass, but this is also dependent on how long you let it sit. I think everything gets less salty with age... I just can't seem to let anything go for more than a week cuz I'm too excited to try it!
#4 of 52 Old 05-03-2006, 11:15 AM

Is there a parasite smiley? Because I'm going to be one too. . . (subbing).
#5 of 52 Old 05-03-2006, 08:38 PM

subbing

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#6 of 52 Old 05-04-2006, 07:43 PM

subbing

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#7 of 52 Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 PM

I KNEW something was wrong with those carrots!

:
#8 of 52 Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the recipe for sweet potatoes, it calls for waaaay too much lemon zest, and perhaps too many egg yolks. Do the egg yolks according to the size of your potatoes (don't make them too runny) and a little lemon zest goes a long way.
#9 of 52 Old 05-09-2006, 06:45 PM

I tried making the NT dill pickles, and had bad results. They were mushy and fell apart.

Since then, I went back to making my mother's recipe as I have for many years. It has a little vinegar in it, but it ferments in a cool (not cold) for six weeks, and lasts until I open the jar, so they must be lacto-fermented. I just use all organic ingredients. This recipe has a little alum and a grape leaf in each jar, to keep the pickles crisp.

Maybe if the alum and grape leaf were added to the NT recipe, the pickles might not come out mushy.

Ann
#10 of 52 Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 PM

I recently made the banana bread out of NT. It said to cook at least 1.5 hrs or until it toothpick comes out clean. 1.5 hrs didn't sound very right to me, so I checked it after 50-60 min. and it was done. So, watch that banana bread!

Oh, and I agree, way too much salt in the carrots! I have a whole thing in the fridge, I am trying to choke down b/c they are sooo salty

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#11 of 52 Old 05-09-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Kayla
Oh, and I agree, way too much salt in the carrots! I have a whole thing in the fridge, I am trying to choke down b/c they are sooo salty
I gave up on the carrots, BUT put them to use by putting them into my future batches of kimchi. Worked very well. I reduced the salt of the kimchi slightly.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#12 of 52 Old 05-09-2006, 09:20 PM

I've made the banana bread a few times with mixed results. Last time I made it with half yogurt and half milk and whey and it turned out great. I've never had it done that quick though.
#13 of 52 Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan
I gave up on the carrots, BUT put them to use by putting them into my future batches of kimchi. Worked very well. I reduced the salt of the kimchi slightly.
Oh, good idea! Those were my first adventure into cultured veggies, so I am still working up the courage to try another batch .

artisticat~ that is strange about the bread. When I checked after an hour, the whole top was really brown(almost too brown), and the bread was pulling away from the sides of the pan. I soaked the flour in buttermilk, but forgot about it so it soaked for a bit longer than the recommened time( I think it was around 36 hours). Maybe that was part of the problem?

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#14 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM

My banana bread was pretty crunchy on the top, thick as a brick inside and still wasn't completely cooked even after cooking it 20 minutes LONGER than the recipe said. I wasn't impressed.
#15 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnC
Since then, I went back to making my mother's recipe as I have for many years. It has a little vinegar in it, but it ferments in a cool (not cold) for six weeks, and lasts until I open the jar, so they must be lacto-fermented. I just use all organic ingredients. This recipe has a little alum and a grape leaf in each jar, to keep the pickles crisp.
Would you mind posting that recipe? I tried the pickles too and was not happy with the taste. I also ran across some scientific info on fermenting that said pickles take 4-6 weeks to ferment, which made me question the short fermenting time in NT.

Thanks!
#16 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 AM

Just an aside on the beef noodle soup in EFLF--it calls for 1/2 cup vinegar--way sour. I liked it, kinda reminded me of the sour in sweet and sour foods, but dh and dd turned thier noses way up at it!! Just a heads up
#17 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 PM

The almond cookies are too crumbly. Needs another egg to hold it together.

To solve the non-crisp ferment issue, leave out the whey. Whey kills the crispness.

I run several NT lists where these topics come up fequently, as well as a website.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#18 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri Patetic
Would you mind posting that recipe? I tried the pickles too and was not happy with the taste. I also ran across some scientific info on fermenting that said pickles take 4-6 weeks to ferment, which made me question the short fermenting time in NT.

Thanks!
I'd be happy to, I will post it as soon as I get home.
But I had a sudden thought, that I have no idea what "alum" really is. So I Googled it -- and (wouldn't you know it?) it's a poison, and the common thread seems to be "don't put it in the final pickling brine"! So I guess I won't be using that any more!

The website did say that if you use all very fresh ingredients, the alum should not be necessary. And the grape leaf does help with crispness. So this year I will be experimenting with the recipe to see if it works without alum.

Later with the recipe...

Ann
#19 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri Patetic

Thanks!
Here it is, adapted for NT:

KOSHER DILL PICKLES

20-25 (4" or smaller) cucumbers -- if you can find organic pickling cucumbers, fantastic! I have not yet found any, so I add a little hydrogen peroxide to the soak water to try to get off any residue.

Reject any with soft spots. They should be very firm and fresh. Wash and scrub clean. Soak overnight in cold water (my mother uses her washing machine on the soak cycle -- I use the bathtub. We both tend to double this recipe, so we have a lot of cucumbers to soak!)

Sterilize 8 Mason quart size jars. Hand-wash the jar tops (not the outside ring, just the top). Boil a pan of water and keep it on a very low simmer -- add jar tops to soak until needed.

Bring to a boil:

3 quarts filtered water
1 quart vinegar
1 cup coarse Celtic sea salt

Keep on the simmer.

Put in each jar:

1 clove garlic
2 heads fresh dill
1 hot red pepper (those small dried red peppers give the most consistent result -- leave out if you don't like spicy pickles)

Pack cucumbers into hot sterilized jars fairly firmly. Ladle the hot brine into each jar, to 1/2" from top of jar. Add one grape leaf to each jar. (I have been able to find jars of organic grape leaves at my natural foods store.)

Put lid on each jar and screw down tightly with outer ring. Let sit to cool. Store in relatively cool spot (i.e., not above stove) for at least 4 weeks -- 6 is better.

These are blanched by the hot liquid, but not cooked. My whole family is devoted to them. My mother has been making them for 40 years. She says you don't have to boil the jars after packing them because the brine is hot, the jars are sterilized, and there is enough salt in them to preserve it until the fermentation takes over.

These have come out well every single time either Mom or I have made them. The one time I had trouble was when I used fresh jalapenos and cut them in half -- the pickles were SEARINGLY hot, and only my brother-in-law could eat them! I make these every July or August when the dill is ready and the little pickling cucumbers are available. However, I have used dried dill seed, and it came out fine.

Ann
#20 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 PM

:

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#21 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 11:34 PM

Does anyone have an adjusted beet kvass recipe? The one in the book was realy awful. I would like to try it again.
#22 of 52 Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 PM

subbing. I'm interested in the beet kvass recipe too.
#23 of 52 Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 AM

In general, I've found that the desserts I've tried are waayyyy too sweet. So is the cultured smoothie recipe. I tried making the coconut mousse pie and the lemon mousse, and was really turned off by how sweet they were. They both call for 1/2 cup of honey. I'd cut the honey at least in half for the lemon, and by a third for the coconut. In the smoothie, she calls for 3-4 Tbs of honey or maple syrup. One Tbs was sufficient for me. When baking the breads, I cook at a lower temp, and for much shorter times than the recipe calls for. The first time I made bananna bread, it burnt to a crisp in 25 mins, when it was supposed to cook for an hour and a half! I bake on 300, and check every 20 mins.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#24 of 52 Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmom
Does anyone have an adjusted beet kvass recipe? The one in the book was realy awful. I would like to try it again.
I can buy organic beet root juice at the natural food store. I ferment that with whey for three days or so, then put in the refrigerator for a week or two. Maybe not as nutritious as the kvass, but it gets a little fizzy after several days in the refrigerator, and tastes pretty good (which is saying something, because I hate beets!). My first try with the NT recipe was a total disaster too, so this is my compromise -- I would think it has many of the same nutrients.

Ann
#25 of 52 Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 PM

I just add less salt with the beet kvass, ferment about 1 day longer than called for sometimes, or stick it in the fridge for a few days longer. It's turned out more like pickled beet juice that way instead of salty. And be sure to use good salt!
#26 of 52 Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 PM

I made the baked beans like she said and they did not turn out at all. The beans were very hard and there wasn't enough sauce. Next time, I cooked the beans in the crockpot first and doubled the amount of sauce (or I halved the amt of beans, I can't remember which). I baked them on ~300 for a few hours, adding water if they looked like they were drying out.
#27 of 52 Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 PM

My beet kvass turns out great everytime. I use coarse salt though.
#28 of 52 Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM

This was posted on the Yahoo Native Nutrition group --

Quote:
the former WAPF chapter in S.F. gave a basic NT cooking class in which
she adapted Sally Fallon's recipe for beet kvass - it was *delicious*!! She
does not peel the beets but scrubs them very well then cuts off the top part and root, coarsely chops them and puts in a 2 qt container. She then puts in 1 1/2 TSP sea salt, 1/4 c whey, filtered water to an inch or two below the top of the jar and leaves in cupboard to 4 (yes, four) days. It comes out quite sweet - no need to sweeten.
I've done the same and cover it with a tight lid. I never get any mold on it
and it is just slightly fizzy. She occasionally get some of the 'mold' on hers
and says that as you strain the beets it stays with the beets. To her the
growth is a sign that it is done.
Also, she never does a second fermentation with the beets but I do and leave it for 4-5 days and although weaker than the original brew is still good.
It is good in the fridge for quite some time, I am now drinking some that I
put in the fridge 4/25.
#29 of 52 Old 05-13-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevielynn21
In my opinion there is a bit too much salt in all the fermented veggie recipes, as well as in the beet kvass, but this is also dependent on how long you let it sit. I think everything gets less salty with age... I just can't seem to let anything go for more than a week cuz I'm too excited to try it!
Have you found another amount that works well? I'm nervous to mess with what acts as the preservative.....
#30 of 52 Old 05-13-2006, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann
To solve the non-crisp ferment issue, leave out the whey. Whey kills the crispness.

I run several NT lists where these topics come up fequently, as well as a website.
How does this affect the fermentation? I though the lactobacilli were the whole point?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page